First half marathon jitters...

Options
CoachsWife4
CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
Strange question for you running gurus: I've used a CamelPak for my long training runs. I like drinking out of it because I don't slosh water all over myself + I can store & easily access my GU gels from a small pocket on it. Will I look like a dork if I wear it to my first half marathon on Saturday? If I don't wear it, where do I put the 3 GUs I usually take with me? (yes I have a small pocket on my running pants/shorts but it wouldn't hold them all...)

Any other advice for Saturday? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ROCK that thing! Run how you train -- you will not look dorky! At my 1/2 last week, also my first, people had camel packs and fuel belts. I had to wear my bright pink one :)

It's important to be comfortable, and if you aren't comfortable throwing water all over yourself don't! No one will make fun of you, I promise :)
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    wear it... you won't be the only one.
    besides, you could run dressed as a turkey! the ONLY important thing is that you're comfy.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    "What they said!" You've been training with the camelbak, you like it, you have a routine with it.

"Nothing new on Race Day!" Wear the Pack, your usual shoes, clothes, hat, etc.

And ... HAVE FUN! Get someone to take a picture of you before and after. :happy:
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    "What they said!" You've been training with the camelbak, you like it, you have a routine with it.

"Nothing new on Race Day!" Wear the Pack, your usual shoes, clothes, hat, etc.

And ... HAVE FUN! Get someone to take a picture of you before and after. :happy:

ditto!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - wear what you've been training with. there will be others wearing them, and honestly no one really pays that much attention to what you're wearing (well except for the folks watching the half -the first one I ran I did with 2 others and we wore matching hot pink tops and got lots of comments about those - but it was all in fun!)
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wear it! Have you seen the costumes that people wear at races? and........if you decide not to, if you only have 3 gels, you can just carry them. But race how you have trained to race.
  • dol826
    dol826 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I did the half in Las Vegas in Dec, there was a guy dressed as Borat. If he shows up to yours, have no doubt no one will even notice your camelbak. :) Like everyone said, nothing different, just go with what has been working for you.

BTW, so it doesn't rub or make your back too hot? I thought about using mine for water on 5-6 mile runs but I was concerned it would rub or make my back sweat like crazy.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Since you said your race was "Saturday," I'm dying to know how it went!!
    I have my first 1/2 marathon on Sunday (the 29th), so I'm getting nervous, too. :wink: