Does is get Worse?

Options
Vikingmiss
Vikingmiss Posts: 22 Member
I am only 18, yet it seems the older I get the worse my PCOS symptoms are. Ive even dropped a bit of weight! Yet it's becoming harder and harder to lose it seems as I get older!

Replies

• vrnorwood
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19 years old, and I am now almost 25. I can't say how it will effect you as you get older, because everyone is different, but I can tell you that with me, yes I have had more difficulties with my PCOS.

I dropped most of my weight that I needed to by the time I was 21, but I gained it all back and then some. It is even harder for me to lose weight now than 3-4 years ago, and I have had several other health issues related to my PCOS. I have had chronic abdominal pain here and there, seen lots of doctors, had my gall bladder removed and finally someone said that it was related to my PCOS. I also have skin issues due to it, such as inflamed hair follicles and soreness and rawness underneath my bra line, especially when I eat sugary things. I also have acid reflux, which believe or not has been attributed to my PCOS. I also know that if I wanted to conceive a child (which at the moment, my husband and I are not) I know that I would need a lot of assistance in doing so because at the moment it is basically impossible on my own.

The less I weigh, the less symptomatic I become.
    Hopefully, you will have better luck controlling it, and that it isn't going to be quite so symptomatic for you, but I thought I would share my experiences.
  • countryrayne
    Options
    I too have the soreness and redness under my bra line. I didn't even think about it being related to PCOS but it has gotten better since I have cut out a lot of sugar from my diet.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've only been diagnosed recently (I'm 26 now) and I've found that although I had some symptoms before (no periods for instance when not on the pill), the weight gain didn't start for me till last year, and the thinning of my hair also. So maybe it does get worse as you get older if you don't deal with it.

the key with PCOS is keeping your weight down, as by doing that alone you can reduce a lot of the symptoms. I'm using Metformin to help me with that currently.
  • greenmonkeybee
    greenmonkeybee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know this is not a new thread, but I'll respond anyway.

I was diagnosed when I was 30 because I was fighting acne still and my periods were irregular. I know I have had it since my teen years. I have steadily gained weight since about 25. Before then I was the same since high school. The best advice I can give you is to eat sensibly - avoid fast food, sugary treats, sugar soda, bread and crackers, etc., and exercise regularly. My carb cravings got the best of me in my late 20s. No more.

I am now trying to lose the weight it took over ten years to gain. It's hard, but if you don't you'll face many more issues as you get older. Establishing good eating habits now will make it easier for you when you're older.

Hopefully you can avoid some of the issues the rest of us who are older are dealing with. :) Good luck to you and to all the rest of us!!