my knees hurt.is it dangerous?

Options
so,i've been using an elliptical trainer for about a week now and my knees are starting to hurt when i'm just walking and especially when i'm exercising.is that normal or is it something i should be concerned about?

Replies

• Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Usually the elliptical is easy on the joints and that is why I cross-train with it instead of running everyday as I used to. Maybe you can back off on the resistance/incline and it will ease up on its own. Also, maybe do some other sort of cross-training such as the rowing machine or the stairmaster or swimming or even walking. I take joint supplements that have shown through studies to help through time. Glucosamine/chondroitin. It has really helped me personally alot. Also you can buy a knee-brace if you have not already. Also drinking alot of water every day is good for your joints as well. Good Luck!
  • chickenscrawl
    chickenscrawl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My left knee started feeling a little wobbly around 2 weeks after I started working out on the elliptical. I tried to ignore it but I guess I overcompensated and my right hip started hurting.

Bought a simple knee brace (as Runningirl728 suggested) and haven't had any problems since!
  • Terrizgoal
    Options
    I love the Elliptical trainer and have lost a quite a bit of weight using it but I think I have overused it and know I am really having problems with my knees. I only use it for about 30 minutes at a time now and then do something else like riding a bike or walking on treadmill. I also find that some elliptical machines are better than others. At the gym there are several different ones to try and I think you must find one that you are comfortable using.