Staying away from fried foods

Options
Now that I am Gluten Free, I have been eating more and more fried foods: french fries, burgers (w/out bun) as I do not know what to cook. Does anyone have any good healthy alternatives, I have not been able to find a good salad dressing that is G.F. either.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I use caesar salad dressing, or olive oil vinegrette. The Goddess dressings at Kroger have some GF ones- there are a lot honestly. Where have you been finding gluten or wheat in them? Is there a certain kind you like more than others?

I think beans before bread now and that keeps us full and gives us the fiber we lost from omitting whole grains from dinner. Instead of pizza I make a bowl- with beans, greens and onions- it's delish.

I would suggest looking at GF cookbooks to get you started- eating all processed foods gets old after a while in the taste department :)
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Waldens Dressing. I have been GF for so long. And I was diagnosed before it was "cool" so my foods were REALLY limited. That helped! I love ANYTHING. I will eat ANYTHING. I have been trained to eat card board and pay 4x as much to eat it. So with that said. I dont use dressings but I will use Waldens in a pinch and I marinade in that too. Because its ZERO calories, Zero everything. But my fave salad is Mexican salads where you can use salsa. I LOVE SALSA...

I dont eat french fries..again though they werent around for me to eat unless I made them myself...and I would only get them in a resturant that would certify that they are fried GF.. Tonight I did slice a sweet potato thinly, douse with EVOO and salt and bake at 425 for 20 mins. My meat tonight was a grilled pork tenderloin. Tomorrow I am making the rice cakes from Cooking for Isahia cookbook (you have to prep them 1 day ahead!) I eat alot of Paleo recipes.

Stop taking what you use to eat and try to make it GF. Try and go with unprocessed foods, whole foods. Give yourself some time. Your taste buds will change!
  • fitrene
    fitrene Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I first went GF I ate enchiladas like it was the only thing around until I figured it out. I've been GF for 5 months.

Be careful with fries and even burgers unless you are making them. Even McD's fries are not GF, most restaurants fries are not GF because they fry them in the same oil as the onion rings or as in the case of McD's fries, they are soaked in a beef broth made from wheat. A lot of mexican restaurants use flour in their corn tortillas. Etc.

If you keep your meals to a lean protein, fresh or frozen (not in a sauce) veggies, fruits, and rice (not boxed with sauce) or potatoes, make your own marinades and sauces with corn starch not flour, you can stay fairly safe. Most rice noodles get mushy or grainy after a few hours. The quinoa noodles are good and quinoa is amazing. Use it instead of rice for recipes. Make sure your soy sauce is GF if you use it. I keep King Arthur GF Flour on hand, but have started using corn starch to thicken sauces instead. The GF flour is pricey.

We rarely ate processed foods before I went GF. I made our breads and pastas and baked goods (I even ground my own flour, I know, I know) I still make that for my family as they are not GF. I do, however, have the time to do it. If you don't, just stick with meat, fruits, veggies, make your own sauces substituting GF ingredients for the gluten ones, and you should be okay. Get really good at reading labels. Also keep in mind that some flavorings in alcohol and food are made from wheat. I react to Parrot Bay Pineapple Run and maple flavored ice cream for example, but neither has ingredients that scream made from WHEAT.

I recommend this website, http://www.gfoverflow.com/. you can enter in almost any product and it will let you know if it's GF and when the last time it was updated. It's very useful.

Good luck and feel free to friend me and message me. I've gotten pretty good, I think, at eating GF.

Oh and one more thing, if you have a sweet craving or need to bake a GF cookie or brownie, Betty Crocker makes VERY GOOD brownies, cakes, and chocolate chip cookies! So much better than Bob's Red Mill or King Arthur mixes. They are about $5-$6 and are sold at most major chain grocery stores, but you can also get them on Amazon.com. Just make sure you have GF vanilla for the cakes and cookies. They are far from healthy as they use butter, but for that craving or what have you, they work! My family actually likes the brownies better than regular ones (both boxed and homemade.)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    If you have a crockpot check out http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/. Great gluten free recipes with very little effort. The Indian butter chicken is my favorite!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Salads, soups, chili, curry, beans, lentils, peas, vegetables, fruits, pancakes/crepes, potatoes, buckwheat, quinoa . . . I'm certainly not here because I can't find anything to eat!

My diary is open to friends.
  • burlyn12
    burlyn12 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will have to try your suggestions and visit the other blogs. I hope to find something healthier to eat that will make me fuller faster. Wish me luck!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i generally stay away from anything fried that i havent made myself because most things are fried with a coating of flour since that's a cheap way to help seasonings to stick

if i'm eating out, i go for the less processed as possible(steamed baked poached) and ask that they put any sauces on the side.

oh and when i first went GF, i was pretty much eating lunch meat, berries, turkey chili and spinach :laugh: that was 5 months ago and now i have tons more things i've learned to cook since then. necessity is the mother of invention
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I recommend this website, http://www.gfoverflow.com/. you can enter in almost any product and it will let you know if it's GF and when the last time it was updated. It's very useful.

I added this tool to my book marks on my phone, thanks!