Metformin and B12

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
What do those of you know about Metformin and B12 deficiency? I just read an article on another website about it and was wondering if any of you experienced this. I am researching this because I have been feeling like my thyroid is going crazy again - exhausted, grumpy, hair loss, etc. but my thyroid panel came back normal. I just HAPPENED to come across this while trying to find out general info. What are your thoughts?

http://www.pcosnutrition.com/links/blogs/new-metformin-warning-mandatory-supplementation-with-vitamin-b12.html

Replies

• CrazyCatLadee2
    CrazyCatLadee2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Women with PCOS tend to have lower levels of B12 anyways. I found that taking vitamin B complex and Vitamin D3 (another vitamin PCOS women tend to lack) first thing in the morning really helps with energy. Might be a good idea to have your B and D levels checked by your doctor!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes, I called my Endo anyway to ask about the hypothyroid symptoms so when they call back I will ask about this as well. I havent been taking a B supplement because my multi-vitamin has a larger dose but I think I may try. I am still learning about PCOS and IR even though I have had it for a really long time.
  • angelabirkheadflight
    Options
    I've been taking a full spectrum B vitamin, rather than just B12. I can tell a difference within 15 minutes of taking it.
  • tingle2
    tingle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have heard about the b12/metformin issue before and since I am new to this I will def get my dr. to do a panel on me and check it next time I go in.
    Thanks for the heads up
    Amanda