Metformin?

Options
Tulipgirl1223
Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
I was just officially diagnosed with a form of PCOS ( I don't have all the symptoms of PCOS, but I have some). I've been hearing about people taking metformin. Why would a Dr prescribe this? And how would I know if I needed to be on it?

Replies

• torontobaby
    Options
    I was on metformin for a short time but it made me constipated. I went off it. The dr told me that it is purely for women with pcos who want to get pregnant. I am 42 and have never had c hildren. I don't want them either. Why did your dr want you to go on it? If you can check my profile and blog, I have posted m ore about my story and experience with pcos. I was very sick for a year cause of low iron -- connected to heavy periods and pcos.
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We dealt with infertility (which is odd because I have 2 kids with no issues getting or staying pregnant) and the fertility Dr told me 6-8 weeks before we start trying to start Metformin, but I have had friends who took Metformin not while trying to get pregnant, so I didn't know if that's standard to put a PCOS patient on Metformin or only in certain circumstances.

Thanks!!
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm on Metformin and I'm not trying to get pregnant. I'm taking it to help with the weight loss whic will reduce the other symptoms I have. I get on with it fine. It's uncomfortable sometimes if I don't eat enough when I take it, or if I let myself get dehydrated but so far I've lost 4lbs in 4 weeks so I'm pretty pleased with the progress!
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's not just for women trying to get pregnant, it's a weight loss aid. It makes me pretty sick but I've lost about 12 pounds on it so far- I'm switching over to the extended-release capsules to reduce the side-effects. The side-effects for many women are gone once you adjust to the medication, I was just one of the unlucky ones where it never stopped. But you will be going on it for fertility it looks like, and Metformin has great results returning cycles to normal and restoring fertility. Good luck!!!
  • torontobaby
    Options
    Perhaps I should give it a try with a lower dosage. Thanks for all the info ladies.
  • vrnorwood
    Options
    My doctor told me that the function of Metformin is to reduce your insulin levels. Due to PCOS we all have an insulin resistance, and the Metformin is used to reverse that. In the process of helping your body use your insulin it also helps you lose weight because you body will be processing sugars as it is supposed to rather than just automatically storing them. As far as a fertility treatment, because of the insulin resistance and being overweight it causes difficulty to conceive. So it does all kinds of things. I am on it too. I was on it for 2 years a long time ago, and my new DR just put me back on it. I have a scientific mind, so I research everything that I am put on. Hopefully this information that I have found will benefit my fellow PCOSers!

Good luck to all in your Getting Healthy Adventure!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I was just put on it yesterday so fingers crossed!
    I was shocked when the nurse weighed me - I had lost 8 lbs. in my first three weeks on MFP! I will be happy for any additional help I can get though - most of my weight is in my stomach, which is common for PCOS.
  • auntamama
    auntamama Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been on Metformin for 2 months now, with no results in either loosing weight or conceiving. We are trying for #2 after just being officially diagnosed with PCOS. It took me 10 years to conceive #1. I keep seeing how it helps people to loose weight, and am hoping now that I am changing my eating and exercise habits it will start to work for that.
  • PurpleCherry00
    PurpleCherry00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    heya. i was diagnosed with pcos 5 years ago and been battling with it since. the dr put me on metformin yesterday to help me get pregnant along with regulating my periods. had a bad stomach yesterday so trying to find what foods trigger it. i don't have a cooker which makes it difficult, only a crock-pot (slow cooker), so any recipes youve got would be helpful :happy: thanks. good luck to everyone to lose weight x