Exercise on Sunday?

Options
Stinkybug
Stinkybug Posts: 61 Member
I know that we are suppose to rest on Sundays however, does anyone exercise on Sunday for any reason? I am diabetic and getting daily exercise is extremely important. So, I just wonder what others think about Sunday workouts. If I do workout on Sunday to keep my diabetes under control, it i usually just walking on the treadmill, nothing very strenuous.

Replies

• tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I still exercise on Sundays. It is one thing I do to take care of myself. That being said, I generally only do 20 minutes or so (JIllian MIchaels dvd). Maybe walking with your family and/or picking up trash at your local park, make it service related. Or walking neighbor's dog maybe?
  • niebbia
    niebbia Posts: 32
    Options
    Exercise for me is sacred! HA! I usually get the kids to bed and run with a friend...we usually run 3-4 miles and guess what has come of it...Angie is going to church with me. She is seriously interested because she has felt so accepted and comfortable around the members! I am so excited...so yes I will definitely keep exercising on Sunday nights! and don't forget how great Sunday afternoon walks are..especially if you have teenager and pre-teen daughters!
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Never Exercise on Sunday.Usually walk to church on sunday when the weather nice.
  • mrsbarz
    mrsbarz Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I find exercising very difficult as I'm disabled. As the nicer weather has started here (and we don't know how long that's likely to last) hubby and I have been taking our dog down to the beach in the evening. It's a fairly gentle walk as I can't walk too far but I do what I can when I can. It also means I get to spend some quality time with hubby while enjoying the beautiful sunset.
  • Satyrakk
    Satyrakk Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Maybe a walk around the block with the family, but never all out to "exercise". I can't say I'm in my church clothes all day visiting the hospital, but I do think that keeping it as a day of rest we will be blessed. Besides, if you are working out the other six days your body will need a day to recover.
  • anchorageb2
    anchorageb2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There was a talk given at a conference many years ago about continuing to wear our Sabbath clothes through the day to remind us who's day it is. It also said to continue with if we can an article clothing on Monday as well as a reminder to keep the spirit with us. I do not think that would be possible if you are doing a workout.

One of my favorite sayings is to work enough through the week so Heavenly father can actually tell we are resting on his day.

There is a story about an Egyptian king who worked his slaves every day. He gave the option of certain religious people to take there holy day off because he knew they would refuse and be put to death anyways. He said they could rest but told them they needed to catch up with the slaves who continued to work the following day even if it meant no sleep. The Monday the slaves were exhausted and tired and were moving very slowly and being constantly whipped and had many accidents. The religious slave group not only caught up to the slaves who worked everyday but passed them and had no accidents. The king eventually caught on to this and after talking to the religious group to see if they used magic or herbs gave all his slaves a day of rest. He seen a generous improvement of there work but not the quality or safety measure the religious group had.

I did not read this in the bible though it may be there, but I actually heard the story from a history Channel story. There is several documented reasons as to why we should rest on the 7th day.
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I go for a walk I can't stand being stuck inside all day...... When I was still at home my family would play football in the back yard or volleyball and I loved it!!!
  • Xena03
    Xena03 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have my opinion but instead of sharing it I suggest you ask the Lord what He wants you to do on His day. Your answer might suprise you as He is answering YOU specifically, not a group in general. His should be the only opinion that counts on this one. :smile: In addition, your testimony that He hears and answers you will grow and no one will be able to tell you differently because you got it straight from Him. Who could argue that?
  • Patronus221B
    Options
    Like Xena03 said, the way that we keep the sabbath day holy is between us and the Lord. I think it's definitely possible to exercise on Sunday and have that be a part of your sabbath observance.

My family used to walk to a park and toss a ball around on Sundays with nice weather as part of our family time. I think it was a great way to foster family togetherness, and it got my sister and I doing something besides surfing the internet on Sunday.