Tracking my 17DD progress

Options
Hi there - I hope this is okay. I'd like to track my 17DD progress in journal form to keep myself accountable, starting here and I'll just add to this thread as I go along. Also a good way to get some feedback. Feel free to comment, tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or just "whatever"... Feel free to direct me elsewhere, or just ignore... :-)

Got my book last week, went grocery shopping yesterday. Today is C1D1.

Goal: Lose 30 lbs, get back to healthier eating habits, exercise more. Drop 2 dress sizes.

Me: 43 yo in a couple of months; mother of two; 5'9", medium build, wide hips. Extra weight creeps up on me. I carry it well, so by the time it starts showing, there is a lot I can lose. What usually happens is that I need to buy new pants and then balk at the size. I have a size threshold that I am loathe to cross.

Background: About 9 years ago I went on a low-carb diet in an attempt to regain control of my asthma, which was being treated with 12 different medications. Since weight loss wasn't really my goal, I still ate fruits and vegetables, and some whole grains. Sure enough, I stopped taking all meds and lost 25lbs. It was easy to do because I cook a lot and it's usually very healthy. My office had a great cafeteria, and I was able to have soup, salad and fish for lunch every day. But then I moved and changed jobs. Lost my routine and the weight started going up again. My asthma didn't act up, so I had little incentive to get back on the wagon. Until now, 35 lbs later.

Yesterday - ate as usual, for a Sunday. Not too much, not too heavy. I did enjoy some foods that are now taboo - rice, a small bag of chips, a beer, some of the yummy homemade chocolate cake.

Today -

- Weighed myself for the first time in a while. Not as bad as I'd feared. I've been realistic. Nonetheless, need to buy a new scale today. Got three different results in a minute and one time the digital display just kept running a gamut of numbers. Using the highest reading. Hope the new scale won't be a shocker.

- OK. I miss my morning orange juice. Didn't relish the thought of warm water with lemon. Drank regular water. Was quite thirsty and ended up drinking 3-4 cups as I got ready.

- Had my morning coffee. Used regular (1%) milk. Can't give that up.

- I don't usually have breakfast at home. But this time I mixed 1 plain Chobani with 1 cup of frozen blueberries (love!). Yogurt was too sour, so I added a packet of truvia. Heaven. I even used a cereal bowl, so it looked and felt like a substantial portion. So good that I even sat down to savor it. I could eat this every day. Forget about the carton of egg whites in the fridge. Or use those for dinner.

- Packed my food for work. I think this will be my biggest challenge, as it was my downfall last time. But it's all a matter of getting into a routine that works. I don't go out for lunch, and bring food from home. But I noticed how the bulk has decreased over time. My work-time fare usually included the following: 1 Chobani yogurt (fruit flavored with juice sweetener), 1 Luna protein bar, 1 container of grapefruit sections (juice sweetener), bag of chips, maybe some cheese sticks, sometimes an apple or carrots. Then I'd come home starving and consume 1 or 2 slices of bread with hummus while I made dinner.

Instead, today I brought the following to work:
- 1 sandwich baggie of carrot sticks (don't know how much of it I'll eat, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it with me)
- 1 sandwich baggie of celery sticks (ditto)
- 1 apple
- salad made with 2 cups of lettuce, cabbage and carrots (note to self: get some darker greens), with 1 Tbsp of garlic and basil flavored olive oil and 2 Tbsp of vinegar, and a can of tuna.
- 1 Chobani yogurt, plain. Still not sure what I will add to it. Don't care for it, plain. Maybe just sweeten with some truvia. Might even save for later.
- Instant Miso soup. Vegan, organic, all acceptable ingredients.
- Pomegranate green tea (which I already like and I have truvia at the office)

A few things struck me:
1. So much food... couldn't even close my lunch bag.
2. The entire contents (except the tea) went straight into the fridge. Fresh! That's probably the main thing lacking in my daytime menu before this.
2. When I got to work, everything (except the tea)

Forgot to take my second coffee to go, ended up finishing the water bottle that was in my car. Got to work, made some green tea and filled my Brita filter bottle.

Almost noon and I'm definitely hungry. I should keep something at my desk to munch on when the pangs start and I'm too busy to go to the kitchen.

Dinner - defrosting some homemade spaghetti sauce with lots of lean meat. Everyone else will get theirs over pasta. I will pick up a spaghetti squash on the way home. Might have to share with my daughter... ;-)

Replies

• lisamichal
    Options
    Adding - started a 17DD board on my Pinterest for cooking inspiration. Luckily, a lot of my cooking is already "friendly", as long as I don't add rice/pasta/potatoes.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You might consider adding lean protein to your lunch. Veggies and fruits are important, but you will feel hungrier.

Also, fruits do have sugar, as does yogurt. I cut back to one yogurt most days. I like to take a grilled chicken breast for lunch, sometimes turkey medallions.
  • lisamichal
    Options
    1. There was a protein on my lunch report there. Wouldn't dream of a meal without a protein...
    2. I figure that the fruit and yogurts are on the diet for a reason. These aren't "empty" sugar calories. Also, the yogurt has sugar for a reason. First of all, there is sugar (lactose) in milk. Second, the probiotics feed off of the sugar. So, while there may be 9gr of sugar in the yogurt when it leaves the factory, there is probably less by the time you eat it.