Your favorite parks/trails in Houston

Options
yesthistime
yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
Hi all,

Just curious what parks and trails you all recommend for walking, running, and cycling? My mom loves Arthur Storey Park (Beltway 8 and Bellaire Blvd), one of my besties is a die-hard Memorial Park fan, and I like both Westchase Buffalo Bayou (Beltway 8 and Deerwood/Memorial) and Franklow Park (Seagler Rd. between Westheimer and Briar Forest).

What's your fave park or trail?

Replies

• LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Spots Park, Herman Park and one by my house but I can't remember the name..oh dang. I think this weekend I may take my run to the park. :-)

Maybe try one of your favs.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to Cullen and Bear Creek Park (mainly because they are within biking distance from my house). I used to run Terry Hershey quite a bit and still ride there sometimes. Another park that is better for riding than running, is George Bush Park starting at the police station at Barker Cypress and I10 and goes all the way to Fry! In the middle there is a huge board walk that is gorgeous. I think we are heading over there this weekend to go ride. :-) Haven't been in a while and I'm curious as to if that big wildfire in Ad****s reservoir last year had significant damage.

If you're willing to drive, Brazos Bend is fun... and has alligators!
  • deweyz
    deweyz Posts: 18
    Options
    George Bush also has some good back-woods hiking. But you have to watch - even the main trail floods sometimes - and the "back woods" parts are all flood plains so only in dry times. Try Geocaching there though.

Biking - Hershey, Memorial, and George Bush are certainly the big three on the West side of town.

I prefer to run the little 1/2 mile trails that are everywhere - just little parks around. There have to be 10 within 15-20 min of my house. Keeps things new.

Otherwise - I travel out further & try for a real hike or at least some wildlife. Brazos is close...The Hill Country is better when I have the time though.
  • geminigrl622
    Options
    I love Memorial Park, Kitty Hollow Park, and Oyster Creek Park.
  • Lopezc75
    Lopezc75 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Die hard memorial for sure....exploring hershey park.
  • bodesandmizzle
    bodesandmizzle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love Rushing's park in Katy or the Houston arboretum.