Gamers - 2nd hand getting nixd

Options
Lissakaye81
Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
Any1 else see that sony is trying to get rid of 2nd hand game selling? You know all other consoles will be following suit if they do it and it works. Just one more way for the greedy *kitten* to give us the shaft. Now we won't be able to sell or trade in used games, and probably have to say bye to gamefly.

Replies

• bdhoward87
    bdhoward87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's not only Sony. I've seen articles about Microsoft thinking about doing the same thing. I imagine everyone is already thinking about doing it and it's only a matter of time before it gets implemented. I agree with you that it's kind of a ****ty move in that it will force people who primarily rent games to either buy games or quit playing altogether.

What they should do is incorporate a tactic that is used by movie studios and dvd rental companies e.g Netflix, Blockbuster, etc. and that is offer two different copies of said game. With the downloadable non disc version of the game you would be able to get bonus features and add-ons and with a hard copy (or a rental copy) you would get the only the basic game and nothing else. No options for downloads, add-ons, etc, etc.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Lets be honest, the days of physical copies (Discs, etc.) are numbered. More and more we are seeing digital download services like Steam, XBLA, OnLive, etc.
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Where I live it seems that there is nowhere to even rent games anymore. Blockbuster and Rogers Video are gone. The mom and pop shops don't carry quite the same selection.......that's why I've kind of migrated back to PC gaming
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a good idea, if they dropped the price of games because people won't be able to buy used...but we all know that won't happen.
  • workreadplay
    Options
    Lets be honest, the days of physical copies (Discs, etc.) are numbered. More and more we are seeing digital download services like Steam, XBLA, OnLive, etc.

The only problem with this is that some people don't have access to high speed internet. I have a cellular mifi card because, where I live in BFE, all we have is dial-up. Satellite isn't even real high speed. If the entertainment industry wants to move to digital downloads, they need to get with all of the telegraph companies and tell them to run fiber optics everywhere. It sucks to have to drive to my friend's house, 40 minutes away, to be able to download a game to my XBox.