Flare ups

Options
EPhinn
EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
What do you do for fitness when you are going through a flare up?

Although my disease causes some pretty yucky symptoms, I am still able to force myself to at least do some yoga. I know there are some of you, though, that don't have the energy or ability to do the same.

Replies

• honey_sara
    Options
    I often swim. The water offers low impact resistence and sometimes it just feels SO good :)
  • aprilshowers1
    aprilshowers1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have found it hard to be motivated to keep moving when I'm not feeling well. But it's almost like the less I do the worse I end up feeling...
  • SlimmerJodi
    SlimmerJodi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind that I joined your group, as I do not have Lupus but my 28 year old daughter does. I try to get as informed on a real level as possible in order to help her and support her in any way....hoping to find out if diet in any way helps those inflicted with Lupus.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind that I joined your group, as I do not have Lupus but my 28 year old daughter does. I try to get as informed on a real level as possible in order to help her and support her in any way....hoping to find out if diet in any way helps those inflicted with Lupus.

That is awesome. It is very hard to understand lupus when you don't have it. I first thing I tell people when they ask how it feels is, think of the worst day of the flu when your body aches and you don't want to move. That is everyday of a flare.

Your daughter should talk to her dr about what vitaimins to take. For me (and a lot of my lupus friends) I have problems absorbing vitamins so I add Vitamin D (mine is very low and causes joint pain) and B complex (for my curculation) and Fish oil (for joints and heart health). And keep in mind that Lupus doesn't really like to be alone so other issues ( I added Complex Migraines, IBS, Fibromyalgia, and Occipital Neralgia) may come up and need attention.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have found it hard to be motivated to keep moving when I'm not feeling well. But it's almost like the less I do the worse I end up feeling...
    It is a major balancing act. I try to walk when I'm in a flare (even when I feel like running) and I limit the amount I do. Have you tried to limit the time you do your activity?
  • rachelmph
    Options
    I find the yoga really hard on my legs when I have a flare. The balance/strength required for stuff like warrior is just killer when I'm in a flare. I can only do it for a few seconds before coming out of the pose and then going back in.

This latest flare came with the added bonus of shortness of breath when I exercise. As soon as I go for a walk I get winded. I like to swim when I have a flare but I'm a little afraid I'd drown or at least be gasping for breath after one lap. I mostly stick to walking, which is ok but it's disappointing because I was really working my way to being a runner when this flare hits so it is hard not to feel like lupus made me take a step backward.
  • hses2esf
    hses2esf Posts: 7
    Options
    I tend to come to almost a complete stop when I flare. I'll usually take my excercise routine to going for walks. I will also go to the gym and do just a few minutes of the elliptical or walk on the treadmill. It's not much but I feel accomplished none the less!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I find the yoga really hard on my legs when I have a flare. The balance/strength required for stuff like warrior is just killer when I'm in a flare. I can only do it for a few seconds before coming out of the pose and then going back in.

Hello, new to the group here. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that yoga is hard for when I'm flaring. EVERYONE always tells me that this is a great way to exercise when I'm having a flare-up, but I find it near impossible, and the pain that follows is nearly unbearable.

I have found that boxing is one of the only things I can do when working through a flare. Sometimes, hitting a bag can be too much, so on those days, I shadowbox. It's great for strength and cardio, and it makes me feel strong.
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with the shortness of breath the last few days... And OMG headaches. My bp has yet to go back down. Just walking through the house or up the stairs leaves me taking a little break to catch my breath. I have physical therapy twice a week, so I do that with no extra workouts on those days, but I've been walking on the treadmill at a 3.0 and that it pretty much it. Can't even bring myself to do yoga right now.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with the shortness of breath the last few days... And OMG headaches. My bp has yet to go back down. Just walking through the house or up the stairs leaves me taking a little break to catch my breath. I have physical therapy twice a week, so I do that with no extra workouts on those days, but I've been walking on the treadmill at a 3.0 and that it pretty much it. Can't even bring myself to do yoga right now.

I hate the shortness of breath...sorry you're dealing with it. I get really embarrassed when I have to walk up *one* small flight of stairs at work and I start to huff and puff...I'm actually starting PT for the first time on Friday (next week) and am nervous about it.
  • Brunny7
    Options
    Agreed! Depending on what's wrong I might take a really gentle walk, do some light stretching or some light housework just to keep moving. I'm still trying to figure out "sore" versus "sore", if you get my drift.

My new gym has massage chairs and a ton of cardio equipment, so I'm working on going even when I'm not feeling good just to keep in the habit of putting on the sneaks and sports bra and all that. A 10 minute walk and a 15 minute massage on a crap day is better than laying around in my jammies watching reruns. Or so I'm told. Having said that - there are definitely times when you need to listen to your body and allow it some rest.