Calories!

Options
I'm wondering what calorie consumption is out there. I'm almost 2 months out (sx 2-27) and I'm averaging 600-800 cals/day. I know my nut said not to really worry about calories as long as I'm getting my protein, but I worry!

How far out are you and how many calories (& protein) do you typically consume daily?

I just got moved to stage 5 last week so this has opened up so many more food options for me & I'm a little scared! :) I have so much further to go!

<3
Jennifer

Replies

• grisaille12
    Options
    From what I understand from other VSGers, during the losing phase, calories are usually between 500-800 per day. This is certainly what my average has been.
  • set2sin
    set2sin Posts: 9
    Options
    I am 9 years out, calories are about 1000 to1200 and protein averages 50 to 80, I try to eat more when I think of it. Cheese and deviled eggs, but sometimes I forget!
  • outoftherain
    Options
    I put my calories in as 800 and protein as 80 ... I focus more on getting the protein and water at this point. Some days I`m under 500 and some closer to 700-800 .
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My nutritionists have never talked about calories. I guess because I'm losing (though very slowly). I'm 15 months out, and my net calorie goal is 1200. For a while I wasn't eating back the exercise calories and even though i was hitting my protein goal (at least 80g/day) my weight loss stalled entirely. now that i'm eating the net 1200 calories i'm losing again. I still will have a protein shake at the end of the day, if i didn't get all my protein in. Based on the few other replies, I wonder if a lower calorie goal would mean continued or faster loss for me?

I'm lifting weights as well as cardio, and at any lower calorie amount per day I'd worry about my body using muscle as fuel instead of adding muscle. I see my weight loss dr and nutritionist every 3 months, i guess if I get to another plateau i'll address it then.

It's hard not to worry you're getting too much or too little, especially when you change stages and if you're never hungry.
  • Obreezes
    Obreezes Posts: 35
    Options
    I typically have from 800 to 1,000 calories a day. I really should stay closer to 800, but for me that is really tough. The demons in my head don't like that number! :) I do concentrate on protein first.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I run between 500 to 900 cals a day but especially on the lower cals days I focus on my protein.

I try to get about 50-80g of protein a day
  • promising_actress
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! it really helps to see what other people are up to.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I average 900-1300 calories per day. I eat back my exercise calories every now and then. I don't focus on protein anymore because I am so used to getting it in. I have a shake for breakfast and eat tons of meat / cheese daily. I try to keep my carbs under 100 net carbs per day (under 50 if I am very focused).

I really think my calories are too low because I have not lost in about 3 months now. I am 11 months post op. Added cardio and strength training. Not losing inches or pounds. Just stalled.

I have another surgery on Tuesday and plan on going back to my liquids then mushy stage post op. Hope it helps to break this horrible stall.

SW 264
    CW 175
    GW 150-165
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    From what I understand from other VSGers, during the losing phase, calories are usually between 500-800 per day. This is certainly what my average has been.

This is my range too - I'm 4.5 months out.
  • vmudgett
    vmudgett Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, depending on what your doctor says. Mine told me to stay at or under 1100 calories. That's why I started on MFP so I could track my calories. I don't seem to have a problem getting the protein in.
  • promising_actress
    Options
    I set my calorie goal at 1000 and generally have no problem staying under that. I am trying to get more protein (before was recommended to eat 60-80 grams/day but now and shooting for 90-100.
    I have my 3 month post op on June 1st so I'll see what else my nut has to say :)
    Keep up the good work everyone!
    <3 Jennifer