Crossfit Price..?

Options
moochachip
moochachip Posts: 237 Member
Hello,

I am interested in beginning Crossfit this summer. I was looking at the crossfit center close to where I live, and figured out it was 130 dollars a month. YIKES.

Is this normal? Why would it be so high? I know quite a few fitness centers that are about 20-50 dollars a month.

Replies

• BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    for sure try out the intro stuff first before you sign up - I do crossfit, have for a long time - for me, it's worth the expense for a couple of reasons:
    1 - I find myself going - alot - like I have never done that before - I go through withdrawal if I don't go for a couple of days - I really enjoy it. (please keep in mind I'm a 5'2" 215lb woman - I started at 270lbs - it wasn't easy, but for sure I'm not willing to give it up)
    2 - the community - the people you meet are well worth it - they have supported me, kept me going, lifted me back up when I needed it, never walked away and in general are just a great group of people
    3 - If you think it's too expensive, stop and think - what would I spend on an average weekend doing ??? - is it worth it?
    4 - if you still find it too expensive - most post their workouts daily and are more than willing to share their programming with anyone, anywhere - you can do a lot on your own. You can invest in a kettlebell, jumprope and pull up bar, and it's a great start

Crossfit isn't for everyone, so try it out first, if you find you like it, (and I hope you do) - trust me when I say, I would much rather spend that money paying for crossfit than going to the bar for a weekend.
    Good luck!
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last post, check it out first. I love it and find it worth the expense. Its a great little community that I am glad to be a part of. I've only been doing crossfit 6 weeks and there is such an amazing overall improvement that I can't imagine going back to not doing it. My box is $150/month, however because I joined the week they opened (and am therefore a "founder") I get a discount, and I also help out with childcare 1 hour per week for another discount. All told, I'm only paying $55/month! :D
  • jukemaster
    jukemaster Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've done gyms, gyms with trainers, and at-home exercise. Nothing compares to CrossFit. The classes provide for great motivation and personal assistance far above anything else available. It seems like a lot, but pull that money from somewhere else in your budget (assuming you try it and decide you want to pursue it).
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It does seem pricey at first but it is absolutely worth it for me. My hubby was actually giving me a hard time about the price the other day. I counted up all his tobacco and alcohol cost for a month, handed it to him, and said please don't give me a hard time about the price of CF. It was 3 times what I spend!

It's all about cost and reward, once you start seeing the rewards the cost is well justified.

FYI my cost is $155 a month for 3 sessions a week, seems pretty typical. I would do unlimited for a little more if I didn't live an hour away.
  • Susan918
    Susan918 Posts: 9
    Options
    My CF gym is inside a fitness club. $40 for the club and $100 for CF monthly. Unlimited on everything. CF offers classes 6 days/wk and about 6x per daily. Well worth the money. since CF is inside a club, today we had a swim WOD which was great.

25m underwater swim then 50 squats x 5 rds

Like the others said: try it out. I enjoy the comraderie, the trash talk to keep me motivated and the accountability. My peers are keep me coming back. I've been a CrossFitter for 4 yrs (and I still cant do an assisted PLU, but I'm still trying!!)

YOU can do this. Just finish.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My CF gym is inside a fitness club. $40 for the club and $100 for CF monthly. Unlimited on everything. CF offers classes 6 days/wk and about 6x per daily. Well worth the money. since CF is inside a club, today we had a swim WOD which was great.

25m underwater swim then 50 squats x 5 rds

Like the others said: try it out. I enjoy the comraderie, the trash talk to keep me motivated and the accountability. My peers are keep me coming back. I've been a CrossFitter for 4 yrs (and I still cant do an assisted PLU, but I'm still trying!!)

YOU can do this. Just finish.

Swimming WOD would be AWESOME....

Mine is $136/month for 3 months for 9 classes a month - My club has different prices based on # of times a month and how many months you contract for at one time....

I started with a Groupon offer at my club ($30 for 15 classes...) and I liked it alot so I signed up for another 3 months - I will say by only signing up for 3 months it is the most expensive option - but I knew I liked it enough to pay the money...

Boxes are going to differ...Mine limits classes to 6 people in each class so for me it is basically like getting a personal trainer - the people who attend classes are GREAT...which I think is a big thing...everyone cheers everyone else on...

My box is getting ready to move a bit further from me (right at the end of my contract) I haven't decided if I am going to sign back up again - mainly because my summer is so busy as both my daughters swim on a team all summer = practice almost every evening and weekly meets....so trying to fit in classes at the times they offer them vs when I can go is going to be tough - I actually just purchased a Groupon for another place near me that is a weird cross of a 24 hours gym place and a boatload of fitness classes - they have some TRX and what they call CrossCore workouts - they even have a NFL bootcamp that the trainer is a former NFL player....I may not sign back up for the summer with my box and try this out (10 classes for $19) and see what that is like...from the pictures it looks like they have a decent amount of free weights - so maybe I can still pull WODS and do them on my own as well as doing some classes
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I pay $149 for unlimited classes/ month. And that was w/ a 1 year contract (I believe its 175 for month to month).

As expensive as it is, and as much as it hurts my wallet. COMPLETELY worth it.

There are lifestyles that each of us have in which we buy different things that will add up (and exceed) that $150 (or whatever the price may be). Nix going out to eat a few times a month, don't go shopping as often, etc etc. There are always ways to budget what is important to you!
  • jenaissance
    Options
    I didn't specify, mine is $150/month unlimited, with 6 classes per day, 6 days per week.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm super lucky then. I got started when my gym opened up and I was a student. I'm still at the original $75 a month for unlimited access.
  • msmossie
    msmossie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That seems about normal to me for most boxes. The prices at other boxes around me run from $90 to $140. I'm currently working out at a newer, smaller box and only paying $60 a month for unlimited access (except for a special strength class)! They recently raised the prices to $75 a month, but I'm still locked in for $60. Lucky me!
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yep, the best way to get a ridiculously good price is to hop in when a gym is just starting up and become really good buddies with the coaches/owners. They most likely won't raise the prices on you once you're in. I even took a break for about 3 months and he signed me back on at the student price even though I was no longer a student. But even if my only option was to pay twice that I still would. It's so worth the community and the instruction you get and the motivation to be there that you don't get by signing up with a big name gym
  • jenaissance
    Options
    Yep, the best way to get a ridiculously good price is to hop in when a gym is just starting up and become really good buddies with the coaches/owners. They most likely won't raise the prices on you once you're in. I even took a break for about 3 months and he signed me back on at the student price even though I was no longer a student. But even if my only option was to pay twice that I still would. It's so worth the community and the instruction you get and the motivation to be there that you don't get by signing up with a big name gym
    This!
    I joined my box on opening day. I started out with personal training because of my injuries. I did ten of those, and rather than charge me the $40/session they just charged me the monthly unlimited class fee. Plus a "founders discount" and another discount for helping out with childcare once a week. I mentioned I was going to have to take a month off for $ reasons, they gave me 30 days free. I love those guys!
  • gfbrummer
    gfbrummer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Some of the people got some good prices on their CF box. I myself can relate to the original post. I really cant do the $100-$125 per month for one of the 2 boxes in my area. I have a barbell, 200 pounds in weight, dumbells, jump rope, and pullup bar. I do the mainsite workouts ever day religiously and use that. i also spend a lot of free time on the mainsite and youtube looking up info on the workouts, nutrition, and form questions. I have been doing it like this about 3 weeks.
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    when i lived in WV i was paying $125/mo just moved to ann arbor and the big fancy CF gym is $200/mo and the smaller box is $110/mo (but has less times/day)

when i was going to a regular gym i was paying about $40/mo plus ~$20 per session with a personal trainer 1-3 times a week. adds up! crossfit pushes me harder too!!!
  • xfchick
    xfchick Posts: 13
    Options
    for sure try out the intro stuff first before you sign up - I do crossfit, have for a long time - for me, it's worth the expense for a couple of reasons:
    1 - I find myself going - alot - like I have never done that before - I go through withdrawal if I don't go for a couple of days - I really enjoy it. (please keep in mind I'm a 5'2" 215lb woman - I started at 270lbs - it wasn't easy, but for sure I'm not willing to give it up)
    2 - the community - the people you meet are well worth it - they have supported me, kept me going, lifted me back up when I needed it, never walked away and in general are just a great group of people
    3 - If you think it's too expensive, stop and think - what would I spend on an average weekend doing ??? - is it worth it?
    4 - if you still find it too expensive - most post their workouts daily and are more than willing to share their programming with anyone, anywhere - you can do a lot on your own. You can invest in a kettlebell, jumprope and pull up bar, and it's a great start

SO TRUE!

Crossfit isn't for everyone, so try it out first, if you find you like it, (and I hope you do) - trust me when I say, I would much rather spend that money paying for crossfit than going to the bar for a weekend.
    Good luck!
  • xfchick
    xfchick Posts: 13
    Options
    NYC boxes charge from $200-$275. Worth every penny!
    See if you can buy one month pass and see if it's for you ;) We just had a special at our box (Living Social $50- 1 month of Unlimited Classes). 600 people signed up! Crazy!
    Good luck!
  • EmmEfff
    EmmEfff Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm 4 days into CF, and totally loving it, even though I am the oldest and fattest person there. Nobody treats me any differently, even though my WOD are modified for my bad knees and zero upper body flexibility. I walk out drenched.

The first month "Foundations" is $300 for unlimited classes and 4 personal classes to learn the moves. After that, it's $130 month if I commit for six months, more per month if I don't.

Yes, it's expensive, but totally worth it. I've done private trainer at the house, gyms, boot camps. This one has a real community feel to it... everyone is encouraging me.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I guess if you look hard enough, every once in a while..there would be free crossfit workouts. I'm doing my first one tomorrow, and pray I get out of it alive. :laugh:
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm actually just running into this issue...

I signed up for a month through Living Social ($70) and thought I would only do the one month and be done since it was so expensive ($149/month for unlimited classes). I didnt really count on getting so hooked on it!

Now the owners are offering 10% off for any living social member who signs up... but they require a six month contract... so I'm struggling with getting over the total cost. I know its worth it in the end and I know I dont have the discipline to push myself at home as hard as the coaches do at the box... but it certainly adds up quick!!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Mine is $150/month for unlimited classes with a 2 year contract.
    One year contract is $165. 6 months is $180. 3 months is $195/month.

I first signed up for 6 months. That ended in April. Now I'm on a 2 year contract.

CrossFit seems pricey but if you find a good box with good coaches it is well worth it.