Overweight Triathlete

Options
TylerJ76
TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
Hello All!!

8 weeks from today I will be doing my first sprint triathlon. I am very excited. All together I have lost about 30lbs, that being said, around race down I will still be around 290 or so. I guess that I am just nervous that there will be people mocking me, laughing at me...

Blah...idk, just freaking out.

Replies

• Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Everyone out there has the same task at hand: finish the race! You'll never be around more supportive/encouraging folks! It's nice to have someone to say some words of support during a race!

There are all sorts of body types at races. You'll simply just be a newbie to the sport but a triathlete to all!

Relax and have fun! You'll do great!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER seen or heard anyone mocking someone at a race due to their weight. Not something I'd ever worry about if I were you. Good luck.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what is going on in your head. I don't have the body of an endurance athlete, and probably never will (no I'm not being negative, I'm just not built like that not matter how much weight I lose). That being said, YOU are doing it! YOU have the guts to take on a challenge, train for it, improve yourself, and FINISH THE RACE!! If anyone is mocking you then that is their problem... THEY are not swimming/running/biking YOUR race!!

I took me a while to get over that, and sometimes I still haven't, but I just keep thinking that I'm not challenging anyone else, I'm challenging myself! Who cares what anyone else says or thinks!

YOU CAN DO IT!! :-)
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have not been in a triathlon either (training for my first Sprint), but I understand your feelings. I tried on some bike shorts this weekend that made me feel really badly about my body. I had the same type of thoughts. BUT...I did remind myself that in the million races I have run, I have never heard one person say something negative about another athlete. I know a triathlon is not a race, but I think that in all sports, the participates respect one another and know how hard the others are working! I think it is awesome that you have given yourself this goal and will complete a tri. We all start somewhere. I'm at the very beginning! :)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I have not been in a triathlon either (training for my first Sprint), but I understand your feelings. I tried on some bike shorts this weekend that made me feel really badly about my body. I had the same type of thoughts. BUT...I did remind myself that in the million races I have run, I have never heard one person say something negative about another athlete. I know a triathlon is not a race, but I think that in all sports, the participates respect one another and know how hard the others are working! I think it is awesome that you have given yourself this goal and will complete a tri. We all start somewhere. I'm at the very beginning! :)

Honey, no one looks good in tri shorts. LOL. More of a function over style thing. Now wetsuits are like full body spanx.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much!

I will just keep working as hard as I can.
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    You are doing something amazing-no one will be macking you-they will be celebrating you-as I am-from the sidelines! Kick butt, girl! You are gonna do great! And it will amaze you what your body can do!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I'm at big round guy also. My very first triathlon, I raced it on this wacky, almost beach cruiser styled trail bike. At one point I was really pumping hard, just going at it. And this shmuck in all his hard core badass biker outfit and bike gear stuff flew past me, turned, and smirked. That was 2007, and it was the one and only time I've ever seen somebody give some form of dressing down to another triathlete.

It just doesn't happen. Most triathletes are tickled pink to see newbies, or locals, or people who just don't look the hardcore part. There's something about watching the new guys, and remembering what you went through yourself, that keep the veterans smiling. It's so great when old veterans get to watch new guys experience the same joys they've been experiencing for years. Those few who don't see life that way? They're not gonna bother you, because you're no threat to them. They only care about the people who can keep them from winning a podium spot. So messing with you is a waste of their time.

So, here's what's gonna happen: You're gonna train as best as you know how. Then you're gonna show up at race day scared, frustrated, uncomfortable, a real fish out of water. Then you're gonna walk by tons of people chatting and laughing and talking tri smack about this new saddle or that old pair of shoes, or how (cool/silly) people in Vibrams look, etc etc. Eventually you'll figure out where you need to be with your gear, and start setting up your transition. It'll inevitably be next to or near somebody else who's relatively new to things, and the two of you will start talking, eventually trading stories about this weird training tip you heard, or that bit of gear that you weren't sure about getting, and you'll settle down.

Then the race will start, you'll be on your way, and an hour or so later as you're crossing the finish line, your life will have changed.

Happens all the time.

Enjoy your newbieness. You're only new once.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You will be very surprised at the amount of encouragement that other athletes give you out there. My first race - I was huge, it was the people out there giving me words of encouragement that helped me cross that finish line.

You can do it. Remember - enjoy the experience.
  • symegeer
    symegeer Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Just to add to this, at my tri club I am one of the chubbier ones (I have just joined, I'm preparing for my very first tri) but there are so many different body types even among the club members, including overweight.

I just finished reading The Slow Fat Triathlete by Jayne Williams - it made me feel so much better!
  • ktbollman
    ktbollman Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good job for even doing one! I have my first triathlon in June (and I'm an obese female) and I am little concerened about being able to finish. My goal is to do it under 2 hours but we'll see. I've done a lot of research and it sounds like everyone doing the Tri with you will be very supportive. It's not like high school gym class...AT ALL!

I can't wait to get my run in in my beautiful tri shorts! HAHA!

So what...we may not be as fast as those crazy good athletes, but you just have to keep reminding yourself that even finishing one of these races is a HUGE accomplishement and you should feel so proud of yourself! KEEP IT UP!
  • ktbollman
    ktbollman Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I read this book, too! I need to re-read it again because now I'm a lot closer to race day! Loved that book.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Your going to do great! I am on my second season of sprint triathlons, and I have found nothing but support, at the gym with others I know to be triathletes, here on MFP, as well as on race day. Last year, nearly everyone who passed me (and it was a lot of people) gave me words of encouragement. I still get chills as I remember crossing the finish line as I heard my name boom over the loudspeaker "You are a triathalete" It is more about competing with yourself. I found that I was also faster on race day...I guess the extra adrenaline. I also read the Slow Fat Triathlete and loved that book. I have passed it on to my friend, who plans to complete one next year! I also downloaded triathlon for dummies. It was an easy read with a lot of great tips. Good luck!