Question for working moms

Options
chickybuns
chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
I was wondering how long everyone is planning on taking off? I want to take 6 weeks minimum, but it depends when I actually have my baby. My EDD is 11/17, so no matter what I want to take off until after Christmas. It just sucks because I only have 7 days of paid time off, but I'm not sure if I still get the paid holidays since I'll be on FMLA. I am trying to start now cutting my spending, so maybe I can take more like 8 weeks. It's also hard for me because I know my co-workers will have to pick up my slack while I'm off, but after I have the baby I have a feeling I won't really care :)

Replies

• 69margaux
    69margaux Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think you're right, with baby comes new perspective. I'm out Sept 25th thru mid November. Hubby says it is my decision if I want to quit my job! Scary decision. But I also don't know who I can trust to hand off a new born to. I need to start doing research on that and costs so I can make best decision. I think I get 8 weeks total but I need to review the paperwork again.
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wow, that really is a hard decision for you guys.. In Canada we get a whole year maternity leave.. all covered by unemployment.. You don't get your whole salary but you get most of it, we can also share it with our hubby..
    I'm planning on taking most of the year, depending on if I get a really good job afterwards or not (my contract ends before my maternity leave ends)..
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have short term disability to cover the full amount of FMLA leave so I'm going to be taking 12 weeks off work. It will pay 60% of my income. I should also have about two weeks of vacation/holidays saved up that I can take too so I could potentially be at home for about 14 weeks. We're already saving to cover the difference in my income for that period of time. I make more than my husband so reducing my income is going to make for a few tight months.
  • chickybuns
    Options
    I have short term disability to cover the full amount of FMLA leave so I'm going to be taking 12 weeks off work. It will pay 60% of my income. I should also have about two weeks of vacation/holidays saved up that I can take too so I could potentially be at home for about 14 weeks. We're already saving to cover the difference in my income for that period of time. I make more than my husband so reducing my income is going to make for a few tight months.

That's great, that you can take that much time, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get short term disability? My husband and I make about the same, so it will also be tight, but luckily we live very modestly for what we make, or I do....he likes his toys lol
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Wow, that really is a hard decision for you guys.. In Canada we get a whole year maternity leave.. all covered by unemployment.. You don't get your whole salary but you get most of it, we can also share it with our hubby..
    I'm planning on taking most of the year, depending on if I get a really good job afterwards or not (my contract ends before my maternity leave ends)..

Wow, I wish Iived in Canada! I am lucky if I can manage to get 2 weeks...and of course it's not paid because my company sucks and I have been looking a new job, but the job market isn't so great around here.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It was offered through my work, so I pay a portion out of my monthly paycheck and so does my company to cover that. It came with the medical insurance, etc. I think there are other private short term insurance companies like Aflac but I'm not sure what they do/do not cover.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm also in Canada, and will be taking the whole year. Not sure yet what will happen once the year is up, though. Even though I work 35 hrs a week, I was technically hired as "part time" by my company, so I don't know if my job will be held for me (telling my boss this week or early next, so I should know soon!). Even if there is a job to come back to, I don't know if I will. I don't earn much, and while I haven't researched day care costs yet myself, I know from others that it is quite expensive and I'm not sure the cost is worth it for us. The other issue we have here is that most day cares won't accept infants under 18mos, and we're living in a new city/province (been here 1 year) and we don't really know anybody or have family around to help during months 12-18. I grew up with a stay-at-home mom (she went back to work p/t when I was about 13), and always pictured myself doing the same, so that may be swaying my decision a bit, too. My husband says it's okay for me to stay home if that's what I want to do. I think he's kind of hoping that if I do stay home, when the next baby comes along he'll have enough experience/seniority at his job that he may take some parental leave since I won't be able to! :laugh:
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    chickybuns- If you can get AFLAC through your work, they have a short-term disability plan. Although, by now it'd prolly be a "pre-existing condition". That's what I did with my last baby- so I got paid from my work for a portion of the time I was off, and then AFLAC cut me a huge check. However, I can't do it this time since I only work part-time anymore, so I'm just paying extra toward utilities, stocking up on diapers, and putting extra money aside. I want my 6 weeks!:)
  • J3ss1caD
    J3ss1caD Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    WOW.. besides those from Canada I think I have it pretty nice. I'm in the military and get 6 wks off. I will more than likely take an additional 2 wks off.. mainly to postpone this daycare payment. While being in the military is pretty awesome where I'm stationed (Maryland) the daycare prices are so HIGH!!!

I can't imagine having only a few days off to recover and spend with my newest addition :(
  • chickybuns
    Options
    chickybuns- If you can get AFLAC through your work, they have a short-term disability plan. Although, by now it'd prolly be a "pre-existing condition". That's what I did with my last baby- so I got paid from my work for a portion of the time I was off, and then AFLAC cut me a huge check. However, I can't do it this time since I only work part-time anymore, so I'm just paying extra toward utilities, stocking up on diapers, and putting extra money aside. I want my 6 weeks!:)
    Thanks, but I don't think they offer it. I am on my husband's insurance and I talked to them and it was never mentioned, but that would have been nice.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am allowed to take up to 12 weeks off if I want, but will probably take about 8, depending on when baby arrives. Last time I took off 7. My EDD is 10/26 so i'd like to take off until after New Years. I didn't last time and won't this time, take the entire 12 weeks, because I want to have some vacation/sick time to use when I come back for taking off for baby's dr. apt., etc. However much leave we have accrued is what we get paid for while out on fmla, & then when that runs out we don't get paid for the other time. This is why I hardly ever take off while I'm in my child bearing years, to build that leave up! It's so worth it.
  • MyrianeO
    Options

Wow, I wish Iived in Canada! I am lucky if I can manage to get 2 weeks...and of course it's not paid because my company sucks and I have been looking a new job, but the job market isn't so great around here.

Well, there's LOTS of room for all of you guys! :p
  • MyrianeO
    Options
    I'm also in Canada, and will be taking the whole year. Not sure yet what will happen once the year is up, though. Even though I work 35 hrs a week, I was technically hired as "part time" by my company, so I don't know if my job will be held for me (telling my boss this week or early next, so I should know soon!). Even if there is a job to come back to, I don't know if I will. I don't earn much, and while I haven't researched day care costs yet myself, I know from others that it is quite expensive and I'm not sure the cost is worth it for us. The other issue we have here is that most day cares won't accept infants under 18mos, and we're living in a new city/province (been here 1 year) and we don't really know anybody or have family around to help during months 12-18. I grew up with a stay-at-home mom (she went back to work p/t when I was about 13), and always pictured myself doing the same, so that may be swaying my decision a bit, too. My husband says it's okay for me to stay home if that's what I want to do. I think he's kind of hoping that if I do stay home, when the next baby comes along he'll have enough experience/seniority at his job that he may take some parental leave since I won't be able to! :laugh:

Which province are you in? I'm in New Brunswick and some daycares do take before 18 mo.. but it is expensive.... sometimes it is better to stay home if you can! I'm just the type that couldn't stay home because it would drive me nuts (i'M a workaholic :)
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm in Saskatchewan and yes, there's lots of room for everyone! I was pretty shocked to read everyone's posts, I couldn't imagine going back to work after 6 weeks, it seems really unfair.

I guess I better not take for granted the time I get to take off. My previous employer topped up my salary for 4 months! This one I get topped up for 6 weeks and then I will be on unemployment for the remainder of the year. I wasn't sure if I wanted to take the full year but after thinking about it I'm not sure why I wouldn't. Daycares here are hard to get into in the first place and they can only take so many babies under 18 months so I've already actually applied for daycare at one near my house for august of 2013! We don't have any reliable family members here to help out so i'll be taking the full year.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I cannot even imagine going back to work after 6 weeks. When I had my boys I was working at a place that gave me 12 weeks at 70% pay. I am home now and can't even imagine having had less. I dunno how much time my husband will get off or if it will be payed.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Which province are you in? I'm in New Brunswick and some daycares do take before 18 mo.. but it is expensive.... sometimes it is better to stay home if you can! I'm just the type that couldn't stay home because it would drive me nuts (i'M a workaholic :)

I'm from NS, but currently in Ont. From what I understand, in both provinces there are day cares that will take infants under 18mos, but the spaces are few and far between, and they charge more for that age group. In NS, I had friends who called to be put on waiting lists as soon as they found out they were expecting, but still couldn't get their babies into a spot until 14-16 months. Here in Ont. it was a neighbour who told me spaces for the 12-18mo group are difficult to find. I'm 90% sure I'll be staying home until my kids are ready for school, which is why I haven't rushed to call around and find a spot. I know what you mean about staying home driving you nuts, though. I had several months off after we moved up here (decided it was time for a career change and was lacking experience) and I was going batty. My last job was extremely social (hairstylist) so suddenly being home alone was a shock. I'm hoping with a baby I'll be able to find some groups and meet other moms in my area!
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    chicky- i didnt read many of the responses to your post but it sounds like you have got a few good "leads" to check into. my little bit of advice would be to try your best to make ends meet so that you can take the whole 12 weeks. i'm know you will want to spend as much time with your baby as possible but in my experience i Really had a hard time going back to work after my 1st baby and i wouldnt trade anything for the time i had with him during my maternity leave (i took the whole 12 weeks and really had to piece things together that last month but it was worth every bit of it). best wishes
  • pcedano
    pcedano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Would love to take a minimum of 6 weeks (recovery after vaginal) more if C-section. Unfortunately I only get 2 weeks of paid leave :(, I'm waiting for my boss to give me the Maternity Policy to review and see what can be negotiated....apparently I'm the first to expect at my job (business has only been around for 5 years). I'm aware that the company pays for disability but I am not sure if it would could my leave. MY EDD is December 13, so the earliest I'll come back would be right after the new year, I'm fortunate to have my mothers help!!! ;D
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    oh and keep this in mind too- you could request the entire 12 weeks and let your employer know that you may come back earlier than 12 weeks.
  • MyrianeO
    Options

I'm from NS, but currently in Ont. From what I understand, in both provinces there are day cares that will take infants under 18mos, but the spaces are few and far between, and they charge more for that age group. In NS, I had friends who called to be put on waiting lists as soon as they found out they were expecting, but still couldn't get their babies into a spot until 14-16 months. Here in Ont. it was a neighbour who told me spaces for the 12-18mo group are difficult to find. I'm 90% sure I'll be staying home until my kids are ready for school, which is why I haven't rushed to call around and find a spot. I know what you mean about staying home driving you nuts, though. I had several months off after we moved up here (decided it was time for a career change and was lacking experience) and I was going batty. My last job was extremely social (hairstylist) so suddenly being home alone was a shock. I'm hoping with a baby I'll be able to find some groups and meet other moms in my area!

Ugh, that's hard - moving to another province while expecting... it's always hard to find new friends in a new area... i'm originally from Manitoba and it took us a good year to meet a good group of friends, but we were at University.. Don't isolate yourself - participate in all mommy and me classes, i'm sure there is lots out there.. and if you can be stay at home mom - do it! It's sooo good for your kids :) Best of luck!