Eating Vegan in Social Settings

Options
I love eating vegan, but one obstacle that keeps presenting itself is the situation where I find myself at a banquet or an unplanned eating situation (restaurant, etc.) and there are few options for me, but lettuce. I've learned with planned situation to check menu items and decide orders in advance and in some instances, I bring my own food. I'm still trying to figure out what to do when I find myself in unplanned social/eating situations. Any advice?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Either always keep a little something with you, or plan not to eat or maybe load up on any drink you can have there and hope there is a veggie tray. Otherwise I say you already covered the bases the best way you can. I'm gonna keep looking here though just in case someones got something I haven't thought of either.
  • alyons21
    alyons21 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello, my name is April and I find this to be a problem as well , you can ask the restaurant to make your meal the way you want it like ordering items À la carte. I learned that burger king sells a veggie burger , Try to check out the restaurant ahead of time on line but sometimes there is just nothing you can do but salad.
  • RatRace675
    RatRace675 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can't say as I ever find an issue with this. I always look at the menu and see that I can make vegan if it isn't already. For example it seems to be about 50/50 whether pizza bases are made with milk or not, so after asking the waiter to check, I'll order a veggie pizza with no cheese. I also ask the waiter if any of the pasta dishes are made from wheat as oppose to egg and there has always been one or two I can have with tomato based sauce. I also look at the starters where you will often get one or two vegan options (accidently) and I then ask for that to be served as a main dish. Failing that, I just ask the waiter if they can make me a vegan dish, but if I am in a really poor place, I am yet to find anywhere that won't make fries & salad. Only ever needed to order that once though.
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have found that iif it's not on the menu, but if you ask they will work with you. For example, if there are vegetable side dishes, they'll usually make you a two or three vegetable plate even though it's not a menu item. My Mexican restaurant now knows to leave all meat out of my fajitas and just add more veggies. And a lot of Asian restaurants have tofu in the back for the staff to eat, even when it's not on the menu.
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I recommend going to vegan and veggie friendly restuarants. Most ethnic resturants have veggie options, and tex mex places like Chipotle and Qdoba are always easy. I'm also sort of the opinion of "don't ask, don't tell" and believe in the Paris Exemption, but thats a touchy subject for a lot of people.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    somehow in my original answer I missed the at a restaurant part lol, I just answered for at someplace where the food is already chosen and out. Restaurants will totally work with you, just ask :)
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    We are lucky in Dallas (Tx) to have so many vegan and vegetarian restaurants that I usually don't have an issue. i can eat out at so many places! and my friends are happy to choose a place that accommodates my needs and will often try something I recommend. However, my husband has some trouble when he must eat out with his coworkers and clients. Usually the client choses the restaurant, and in TX it's usually someplace that serves big fatty meat main dishes.

I've been working with him and coaching him to ask the server what the vegetables of the day are, and to get those and a baked potato plain, with salsa on the side (or salad dressing, if the have a vegan one) Of course, most places have some kind of salad, as you mentioned and a lot of times you have to order it without cheese or meat and dressing on the side. But a baked potato is usually good. A lot of the steak restaurants have baked sweet potatoes, too, which are a real treat!

what my husband's problem is that he's embarrassed at making a fuss and asking questions and he doesn't want to put anyone out. I reminded him that he would be paying for the food, so it wasn't really putting anyone out.

My friend said her fav thing to do is to ask for a salad (w/o cheese or meat or bread) and tell them to put every fresh raw veg they have in the kitchen on it. ..you could end up w/ peppers and onions and mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli...ANYthing!
    YUM!
    If you're in the car on the way there, you could also call. I know a lot of times decisions are made on the fly, but if the main cook or chef knows a vegan is coming, esp at better restaurants, they can put something better together.

good luck! and, keep trying! you'll get better with practice!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    It has totally ruined eating out for me, which coincidentally is great for weight maintenance.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is April and I find this to be a problem as well , you can ask the restaurant to make your meal the way you want it like ordering items À la carte. I learned that burger king sells a veggie burger , Try to check out the restaurant ahead of time on line but sometimes there is just nothing you can do but salad.
    Unfortunately Burger King's veggie burger is not vegan. I am almost glad its not cuz I would eat them more often!
    The best thing to do is find a pasta with marinara. Usually you can at least get some sort of pasta.
    Subway too. You can eat their veggie delight subs with no cheese
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    One thing that being vegan has taught me is how crappy I ate before. Eating at a restaurant or the house of friends and family...everything is meat meat cheese cheese meat cheese milk. I'm glad I don't eat it.

If I'm going to go somewhere where I expect to not be able to eat I eat BEFORE I go. Then I'll get there and get some fries or something so I'm not such the odd man out.
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    I totally miss Dallas/Ft. Worth! <sigh> Anyway, I guess its all part of the learning process. This evening, we attended a banquet - I smuggled in a vegan friendly organic peanut butter sandwich on Ezekiel bread, along with a banana. Good thing I did because there wasn't one thing that was vegan friendly on our plates!
  • alyons21
    alyons21 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks ,no Burger King, oh well.:brokenheart: