Protein powders

Options
What do you guys and gals think of protein powders, whether they are whey based or soy based? I use them once or twice a day to boost my smoothies, especially for breakfast. Today I was thinking I should stop using them and find a better alternative. Has anyone used hemp protein powder from a health food store?

Replies

• renlewis170
    renlewis170 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is a topic I've been wanting to research as well. I've never tried the hemp ones, any specific brand you were thinking of trying?
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    ABeautifulDistraction Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill. I really like their grain blends.
  • spoulsen82
    spoulsen82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i was just thinking about this the other day as well. i just bought another bottle of "designer whey." i'm kinda thinking it doesn't fit so well with the "whole food" thing though...
  • renlewis170
    renlewis170 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I kinda have the same feeling. Even if a powder seems pretty natural, it is highly processed. I have the same issue with supergreens. I love the energy they provide, but I can't say I know for sure what is really in them and if I should be eating food in that form. My plan for May is to shelve these items and go for protein in good old fashioned nut butters and such. I think peanut butter got a bad rap in the "fat is bad" era!!
  • coleen_d_b
    coleen_d_b Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i just bought another bottle of "designer whey." i'm kinda thinking it doesn't fit so well with the "whole food" thing though...

This has been a problem for me too. I drink a lot of veggie/fruit smoothies, and wanted the protein to balance out potential sugar spikes. Tried whey, and hemp, but they were yucky. And frankly, just didn't feel right. So I add nut butters now. Or raw eggs. I haven't been able to bring myself to add my homemade whey because it's sour tasting, but I often think about trying it!