Treadmill or Exercise Bike - Big Guy Recs

Options
Ok,

So, I live in south Florida and in about a month it's going to be way to hot to walk unless I get up at stupid o'clock in the morning. I need something that can handle my weight. I have only two requirements.

A) It can take 350 lbs.
B) It aint 10000 dollars.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• rocuf
    rocuf Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Most of the equipment that can handle our girth is pro stuff. Best suggestion is probable get gym membership. It would be much cheaper then any piece of equipment that can handle the #s. There are always ondemand work out videos or videos on netflix.

Sweat is those calories escaping our bodies.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I echo the gym. I actually hate treadmills. At my heaviest I could never get comfortable. I always felt I'd lose my footing or otherwise. I prefer to go outside or a track. Where I live heat isn't a issue though. I'd go the gym route. My YMCA has treadmills and exercise bikes rated up to 500 lbs.
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    im 455 and have no issue with the equipment at planet fitness
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I bought an exercise bike at 312 lbs even though it was only rated for 250. It works wonders for me as I can just sit in front of the tv and pedal away. It helped with dropping the lbs so that when I started running there wasn't so much pressure on my knees/ankles/etc. I would definitely recommend the investment
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Hah,. I know I might lose my man card for this but I hate being at the gym. I'm way way way to self conscious.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    A year ago I bought an elliptical machine off craigslist for $400. New it would of cost 3x that. It was oly rated for 300lbs, but I figured that they padd those stats, so I'd be safe. I put a tv in the room as well so I could exercise and watch tv.

Sadly, it spent most of its time as a cloths rack... but now that I'm using this website and eating healthier I'm finding more energy to start exercising again.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Hah,. I know I might lose my man card for this but I hate being at the gym. I'm way way way to self conscious.

me too, in the past. I was 400+ when I started going. I'd go super early or really late to avoid people and I'd also never go on weekends. Funny story in what helped kick start getting over my anxiety. I am pretty much blind. I can't see anything past a normal book reading distance. I wear contacts all the time except when I go to bed. When I began working out I rarely used my glasses. Face would get all sweaty and I'd be adjusting them every 2 mins. It got annoying real quick.

One day I was in a rush to get to the gym to get my workout done before the influx of people showed up so in my haste I put on my contacts, not being very through to make sure my hands were clean. When I arrived to the gym my eyes burned. I took them out and had to go very slowly. Making sure I was picking the right setting, weights, that sorta thing. People began showing up at the gym and I got nervous then I realized, since I was blind I couldn't see their faces. I found it funny that I was worried. After that day I got over it and I decided not to care who saw me.
  • gse313
    gse313 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    We got the Gold's Gym recumbant bike from Walmart a couple years back... it says only like 300lbs (in the book NOT on the box), but I was probably 380 when I started using it and had no issues.

I have to agree, Craig's is a good option... got one of the older and heavier duty Gazelle units for $40 about a year ago... didn't know I needed to lose weight to use it at the time, but that is even rated for like 325 or 350.
  • missionmeltdown
    missionmeltdown Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Today, for the first time in a long time, I got up from my work desk and walked for 30 minutes during my "lunch break." It was excellent. Never realized how relaxing a 30-minute walk can be in the middle of my work day. It's easy on the joints, it helps you clear your mind, and (best of all) it's free! I do have a gym membership and find the exercise bikes in the back. I have a recumbent bike in my house and rarely use it.

NOTE: If you get a chance, check out the book "Working out sucks."