Chew On This!

Options
Before joining MFP I never really tried to lose weight. Since I'm totally new to the whole idea, there's a lot of advice I'm hearing for the first time.

This might be old news to most people, but it's new to me. Yesterday I heard someone say that if you just chew your food a little longer it will help you lose weight. They described several benefits of chewing longer, such as getting more nutrients out of the food and they also mentioned that it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to send your brain the message to stop eating when it's full.

I like this advice (and we all know we only really listen to advice we like) because, unlike exercise and resisting the urge to snack, this actually seems POSSIBLE to do.

Now I just need to remind myself at mealtimes.

Replies

• NattyBrarian
    NattyBrarian Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I knew about the 20-minute lag time between belly & brain, but the chewing is news to me. While it's probably not a bad idea, I'm skeptical that it really realizes any more nutritional benefits, though. I imagine it probably forces you to slow down the pace of your eating, allowing your body to register that "I'm getting full" message before you've eaten more than you would have had you been eating quickly. Just my knee-jerk observation.