New here- breastfeeding calores- need help please :)

Options
mtgrzz
mtgrzz Posts: 33 Member
I have searched on the discussion board and have come up with a ton of answers, some confusing, so I thought I'd start a new post. I am 10 weeks post partum, have lost 34 lbs by not doing anything and have another 13 to lose to get to pre-pregnancy but really want to lose another 23 at least. I breastfeed and supplement, I just can't produce enough for her. During the work week I nurse on average 4-5 times a day and pump 3 times a day during work. During the weekend I try to nurse as much as possible.

I am confused as to how many extra calories I need. My fitness pal says to get to my goal weight I need to take in 1200 calories to lose a pound a week, which I don't know is safe for breastfeeding or not. I've read you need at least 1800 a day. So, I went to the freedieting.com calculator and it says for maintenance 1740, fat loss 1392 and extreme fat loss 1184. I have a desk job and although I am trying to work out it is not going well so I the most exercise I get is doing some push ups, short walks, leg exercises.

So, if I'm not exclusively nursing, how many calories should I add in? I have read so much my head hurts!:explode:

Replies

• chamcmillan
    chamcmillan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am not exclusively nursing either. I pump 3 x a day during the work week and I am not sure how much I nurse during the weekend but I dont supplement on the weekend. It says for me that I need to take in 1800 calories a day. I am not sure if it makes a difference if your supplementing or not. Your still breastfeeding.
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    Very true. So, I wonder which calories I should add it to, the fitness pal ones, which will only make it 1700 or to one of the ones edieting had?
  • LLCoolBean
    LLCoolBean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know you burn 20 calories for each oz of milk you produce. Hope that helps
  • chamcmillan
    chamcmillan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That helps because I am pumping around 15 ounces a day
  • RavenSimone90
    Options
    I add an extra 500 calories a day since i am exclusively nursing my 2 month old. My doctor told me to do so and everything that i read in books and on the web says the same thing, but if your not exclusively nursing then i say up your calorie goal by 200. Hope this helps
  • yogamama30
    yogamama30 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will help or not, but when I was breastfeeding I was on Weight Watchers, and they said that if you're exclusively nursing, then you get a bunch of extra "points" but as soon as they start eating food (which I think would be the same as supplementing) then you should only eat the points that you're normally allowed. Personally, I would just do what feels right for you. If it says to eat only 1200 cals a day, I think that's probably not enough while you're nursing, so maybe try an extra 2-300 cals a day and see how you feel and how your weight loss is going...You only need to add 500 extra calories a day while exclusively nursing, so I would assume that an extra 2 or 3 would be fine and wouldn't cause you to gain weight...hope that helps!
  • acurtis82
    acurtis82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have noticed, but if you go to the food diary and type in breast feeding under the category a bunch of options pop up. I just realized this myself (as I am also new). My daughter is 5 weeks old and I am exclusively breast feeding, so I chose the 500 calorie option. In order to lose 1.5 pounds a week (I work at a place where I am on my feet quite a bit) I need to eat around 2000 calories (which seems like a lot but I know it is benefiting my baby). We will see if it works at my first weigh in :) Make sure you are drinking LOTS of water too!
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 10 month old and since he is older and also eats other food, I only add 300 calories a day. I gross about 2000 calories a day and net around 1700 doing it that way. I am losing pretty well, and little man definately has enough milk. There is a great blog post about this just follow this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sar123bear/view/more-thoughts-on-weight-loss-while-breastfeeding-245898

In fact a lot of her blog postings have wonderful information.
  • sar123bear
    Options
    I am nursing my 10 month old and since he is older and also eats other food, I only add 300 calories a day. I gross about 2000 calories a day and net around 1700 doing it that way. I am losing pretty well, and little man definately has enough milk. There is a great blog post about this just follow this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sar123bear/view/more-thoughts-on-weight-loss-while-breastfeeding-245898

Thanks! You just made my day! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I set myself to lose half a pound I think and my calories are set at 1500... then I add 500 for nursing, which gives me a total around 2,000. Since my baby is so brand new (a week and a half!), I'm not sweating it if I go over a bit... in fact, it's probably no big deal at all... especially considering how MUCH I ate when I was pregnant... good grief! I'm bound to lose when comparing. lol
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it! I'm aiming for 1700 and going to see how it goes.
  • zukkiz
    Options

Thanks! You just made my day! :happy: :flowerforyou:

You betcha!
  • mamsa
    mamsa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    THanks for this answer, helps me too.
  • Mamakaila
    Mamakaila Posts: 1
    Options
    i also need to know because i am nursing my 8month old. but he nurses around 10 times a day.. but he also eats baby food.. so idk how much extra to take in due to hating excersize ;) lol
  • zukkiz
    Options
    My 10 nth old eats and nurses too, a heck of a lot, and I still add 300 calories. I lift three days a week, and walk two times a week. I have changed my calories too. I now eat 2113 on non lift days and on lift days 2413. Eat around 136+ grams of protein and 35+ grams of fiber.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 6 month old and we just started on solids. I still nurse 10 times a day (and more as she has colic). I add 500 calories but I am not sure this is enough? My dr told me to keep up my calorie count as my baby is not gaining weight fast enough. Do you think your calorie intake affects the quality of your milk?
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I add an extra 500 calories a day since i am exclusively nursing my 2 month old. My doctor told me to do so and everything that i read in books and on the web says the same thing, but if your not exclusively nursing then i say up your calorie goal by 200. Hope this helps

Hi there. I'm doing the same as simone. Just added 500 calories to be on the safe side. My baby was born in march and i'm exclusively nursing.