Remakes

Options
Italian_Buju
Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
I am usually one to go see remakes of old movies that I loved. And there have been some really good ones, I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, but if it was a good movie, and they redo it well, even if it is different, it can be fun.

Some of the remakes I really liked were

Last House On The Left
I Spit On Your Grave
Halloween
Guess Who
The Karate Kid
Let Me In
Love Don't Cost A Thing
Nightmare On Elm Street

However, the biggest mess up, as far as I am concerned, in recent remakes was

Fright Night (I was SO disappointed, I was a HUGE fan of the original, I could almost recite it when I was younger, and I think they killed it)

Now, I just saw a few days ago that they are remaking Mother's Day, and it is due out May 4th......I thought that would be my movie for that week, (I am going to miss this week coming as there is nothing out that I will watch).....and I just watched a trailer....and it looks NOTHING like the first one....not even sure if I will go see it now.....

How do you feel about remakes? What ones did you like, and not like? Any movie you would like to see redone?

Replies

• datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am okay with remakes depending on how good the original movie was...i.e. If there was a remake of Wizard of Oz I would avoid it at all costs. It is one of the most iconic movies of all time that to remake it would be sacriledge...lol.

I really liked the remakes for The Italian Job and Ocean's 11, Willy Wonka (not as good as the original but still good), The Phantom of the Opera, and probably lots of others that I don't even know had been done previously.

Take care,
    Datenshi
  • MrsCanuck
    MrsCanuck Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't mind remakes. I rather enjoyed Poseidon. I also wanted to watch Arthur with Russell Brand. I really enjoyed the one with Dudley Moore.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    "You've Got Mail," a remake of one of my favorite movies, "The Shop Around the Corner," was not very successful, even though I like Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

In some ways I prefer "What Price Hollywood" to its 1936 or 1937 successor "A Star is Born." (Janet Gaynor, Frederick March) I like the 1950s remake with Judy Garland and James Mason. All of them are superior to the 1970s remake with Barbara Streisand and Kris Kristofferson.

I prefer Pépé Le Moko (1937, Jean Gabin) to Algiers (1938, Charles Boyer), although Algiers is a pretty good remake.

The Magnificent Seven is a good remake of The Seven Samurai.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I don't mind remakes. I rather enjoyed Poseidon. I also wanted to watch Arthur with Russell Brand. I really enjoyed the one with Dudley Moore.

I watched the new one with my teenaged daughter, and when it was over, I said "That was not bad, but I prefer the original"

She looked shocked, and was like, what someone did that before?? LOL
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    They did some pretty good things with A Nightmare on Elm Street, but Freddy will always be Robert Englund. I don't care how old he gets, put that sweater on him and you're golden.
  • batmanfreak1
    Options
    I think they can be good if they're done right. I really liked A Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th, but at the same time there are certain movies you just don't remake... example: Footloose. that movie is just one of those classics that you don't touch. I was ticked off when Lucas went back in and added stuff to Star Wars, those were classics..... you just don't touch certain classics... Han shot first!!!! lol