PSTDs from IEPs - Stupid stuff said at IEPs

Options
LainMac
LainMac Posts: 412 Member
Hi Folks,

Even though my husband and I have been largely successful with our kid's IEPs and 504s (I have 3 on IEPs and 1 on a 504), getting them what they need, I still don't like them.

And those people on the other other side of the table say such stupid things - at one for my kindergarden aged PDD-NOS child, the regular ed teacher shot a sheet accross the table saying that I, the parent, shouldn't sign paperwork (which was list of tasks for the parent to do monthly with child to reinforce learning) without actually doing the work with child. I looked that the paper. My name was printed in purple crayon.

I shot it back to the teacher saying "I don't sign things in purple crayon nor do I sign in things in block print." and asked the teacher if there was a reward for children returning the paperwork filled out. She said yes, but how did you know that? Seems that my child had decided that he didn't need to do the work and wanted to go right to the prize and cut out the middleman.

It was hard to take seriously a woman who would mistake a purple crayon scrawl by my son for my signature.

Replies

• Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yeah i have had some of those lovely IEP meetings, One form my daughter signed said Mommy and the principal asked why i didn't use my proper name, that how was my child to learn to sign things correctly that i was setting a bad example. I was floored. These are the people teaching our kids. i also spent a summer going to summer school with one of my clients and was astounded to see they did actually nothing.....
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I hate IEP meetings. They didn't notice the purple writing? It would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad that these people are teaching our children. My son's last IEP meeting we had an adovocate on the phone asking the right questions. She also helps write his case manager emails.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    4 of my 6 have been on IEP's, when we were in Texas I had to fight tooth and nail, and it drove me absolutely crazy! Since the military moved us to Indiana (non military town) I have to say IEP's are a breeze. We really lucked out moving into the school district we did. Only issue I have now is that some of the GE teachers for my oldest son still try to let him walk to certain classes alone, which is a big NO NO since he has pretty bad eplilepsy.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite (not) ones was when we were being lectured years later by the school pyschologist because my husband and I had not attended a suggested "How to teach your child to write" session with the strong implication that we were failing our child. We asked her if she knew what we did for a living. She said, "Since your child has Aspergers, you, of course, are computer programmers." We had to tell her he, "No, we are both technical writers with 12 and 20 years in the business respectively."
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I live in Indiana also and i know the school districts here i know are really good. But my daughter has a genius level IQ and is bipolar, ocd, gad, etc. Our small town has no gifted education and a limited amount of special services availible, so I homeschool her. Hearing all your stories here, makes me glad ive homeschooled her since 2nd grade.

Im so sorry you guys have all had to go thru this. Its amazing to hear all the /facepalm and ignorant remarks people who should know better make.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Both my kids have IEP's, my 4 year old in preschool for speech delay and my 7 year old almost in 1st grade for Autism. When we lived in Massachusetts, it was a nightmare. Since moving to tennessee in 2008,its been much nicer and the people know what they are doing.
  • primrosehill
    primrosehill Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm a SENCo who writes IEPs constantly, and my Aspie son has been on one for 3 years. I can't believe the stupidity of these people you've all come into contact with! A good IEP meeting is worth its weight in gold but it has to be effective. My son's school is fantastic, but I have to send him privately as, like Alliwan's daughter, he is extremely clever and the state school said they couldn't cater for his academic needs. On another note - many principals don't value the input of their SENCOs. I get told I have to keep IEP meetings short as 'time is money'; I shouldn't spend more than half an hour a term on planning for each SEN child - 'time is money' - I can't buy resources as 'they cost money' and 'parents should do what we tell them - teacher knows best.' It's hideous. I ignore everything and spend huge amounts of time on my lovely SEN kids - but I know some colleagues who are so demotivated they 'work to rule'. But a signature in purple crayon??!! Pur-lease.