First Unassisted Pull-ups--Hands torn to shreds.

Options
kvissy
kvissy Posts: 205 Member
So I did my first WOD w/ unassisted pullups today (did my first set of 5 last night EVER--proud like you wouldn't believe) and my hands are in absolute shambles. BTW these are kipping pullups.

The WOD was 3 rounds 50 box jumps 20in, 10 deadlifts at 135lb, and 21 pullups. On my last 2 pullups of my second set my right hand completely tore but being that far I refused to give up an RX.

Needless to say, what should have been a 20-25 min workout lasted almost 50 minutes and 25 of those minutes was taping up my hands, trying to find different grips so my hands wouldn't hurt, etc. I eventually ended up finishing it on a taped bar w/ taped hands and lifting gloves on (I seriously tried doing it bare, doing it taped, alternate grip, doing it chalk on bare bar, chalk on taped bar, etc. seriously EVERY WAY IMAGINABLE). By the close of the workout, both hands were torn and they're so raw its disgusting.

Anyway--just wondering if there is any type of technique that people use to avoid this from happening? My hands are going to be soaking in Neosporin for the next few days but I'm not gonna lie...it was completely worth it!!

Any suggestions or do I just deal w/ it?

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    the gymnastics grip is what the kids use at my box.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    OH - AND BALLER!
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making tape grips? I had a coach help me make a pair and I saved them - you can reuse them til they wear out :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07p5JyO8HU
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Some folks find taping helps. I haven't had rips so far (other than I lost focus while box jumping too tall of a box and smacked my hand on the side...) which might come from never using chalk...I'm more interested in getting some wrist bands or something that I could just use to wipe my hands than chalking. Heck I don't even chalk while rock climbing so far (although I have a chalk in my chalk bag...just haven't decided to, plus people over chalk anyways so climbing I end up with chalky hands without chalking often)
  • kvissy
    Options
    Have you tried making tape grips? I had a coach help me make a pair and I saved them - you can reuse them til they wear out :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07p5JyO8HU

That's a lot of tape! Idk if I'd be able to do that before every workout...well maybe for the longer ones!! Thank you!
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Tape grips save my hands time and time and time again. A lot of guys in my box use football receiver gloves when there is a WOD that requires a ton of pull ups and swear by them. I love the gymnastics grips (without the dowel in them) but actually prefer tape to those. Maybe it's just because I used tape first, but it will always be my preference
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    keep your hands shaved down - be vigilant about it.
    taping - there are various ways of doing it, or the gymnastic grips
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You can save the grip tape and just replace the part that goes around your wrist to keep the grip in place. Shave/pumice and moisturize. Good calluses are smooth.

I was also told when I was doing a toes to bar workout to not wrap my thumb under and around the bar, to keep it on top with the rest of my fingers. It's helped to strengthen my grips and reduce the severity of tears.
  • Shizzman
    Options
    Seems like you already have answers, but I just came across this (I think I'd seen it in the past also) http://crossfitoneworld.typepad.com/crossfit_one_world/2012/04/avoiding-torn-hands.html
  • kvissy
    Options
    Seems like you already have answers, but I just came across this (I think I'd seen it in the past also) http://crossfitoneworld.typepad.com/crossfit_one_world/2012/04/avoiding-torn-hands.html

Great link. Thank you!

I'm definitely going to continue to work on dead hangs (just still super excited I can finally do a kipping pullup!! haha)
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the hand grip thing, but I *can* say that you are one badass motherf*cker for getting those unassisted pullups and for Rx-ing through the pain!! *bowing down to your greatness*

Way to go, girl!!!!

:)
    Amy
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Congrats on the unassited pull ups. My hands tear regardless of whether I tape, use chalk, or gymnastics grips. In fact, I feel that putting anything extra on my hands causes more friction which causes them to rip quicker. If you figure it out...let me know!
  • Shizzman
    Options

Great link. Thank you!

I'm definitely going to continue to work on dead hangs (just still super excited I can finally do a kipping pullup!! haha)

Kipping definitely gets addicting...although I need to work on being more efficient with my kip. I might need to do some mobility work cause I have a tendency towards bad knots in my back especially right by my shoulder blades...and I think those might be starting to limit mobility. Once again, way to rock on getting pullups!
  • EmmEfff
    EmmEfff Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm 100 pounds overweight and started CrossFit two weeks ago. Most of the workouts are modified for me, and I live for the day I can do a Kipping pullup, and a handstand push-up.

I bow to you. :wink: