May Horse Challenge

Options
lkellandmay
lkellandmay Posts: 121 Member
Hello Fellow horse Enthusiasts...
Have you found the best way to get 'back in the saddle is to be among friends and challenge yourself?

I hope to inspire you to spend more time with your horse. It may be riding towards your goal, grooming or liberty training. I hope to get 50 MGP Horse Enthusiasts (that is approx. 1/2 of the MFP Horse Enthusiasts) to commit to spending more time with their horse. For your particular challenge it may be to ride 3 times per week where as others, it may be to complete an endurance ride. Whatever your horse challenge we'd love to hear from you.

By commiting to your horse challenge it will do several things:
1) get you motivated with friends to enhance your horse and your horse skills/training
2) get you fitter and feeling better about your self and your horse
3) get your horse fitter
4) get you out of the house ( and if you are like me then not eating)

If you are interested in participating in the MFP Horse Challenge please put your name here and I will add you to the spread sheet. I hae made a spread sheet so each person can add their time spent 'horseing around'.

What you need to do:
- commit to spending more time with your horse, riding, training grooming etc.
- add your name to the challenge, before May 1st, by posting a reply here. don't use yoru real name use your MFP moniker.
- spend time with your horse - record the number of minutes spent - grooming, riding, training, etc.
- Have fun - get fit - ride/train your horse

I have 4 horses at my house so spending 45 minutes with my horses is easy - that is not a challenge - riding each one would be a challenge. imagine how far ahead I would be if I committed to riding 3 horses per day?

That is my Challenge for May - Ride 3 horses per day -

What is your Challenge?

Laura

Replies

• newlifecowgirl
    Options
    Newlifecowgirl

My challenge is to ride my mare 3 days a week bareback to improve my balance, strengthen my core, and improve my mare's muscle tone. To take time 4 days a week ground training my 3 yr old, adding in grooming time as well for both of them :)
    hopefully the weather will start permitting that!
  • salsa81
    salsa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Salsa81

My challenges are:

To ride 3 times a week for at least 40 minutes
    and
    When grooming, groom for at least 15 minutes
  • lkellandmay
    Options
    Thanks for your interest everyone. Now how will we track this?
    I have made a spread sheet. It would be interesting if we could post it and be able to record what we actually set out to do!

Sound like a challenge?
    Laura
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'd love to start getting my boys back into work properly, but its soooooo wet.... :cry:
  • lkellandmay
    Options
    I hear ya!
    It is wet here as well.
  • loosetorideagain
    loosetorideagain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My challenge at the moment would be to be able to get my poor horses through a day without it raining!!!

It has continuously rained now for the past 4 days and the fields are completley water logged.

Until it stops raining I can't do anything with my boys as I don't have an indoor school or even an outdoor arena.

The field is the only place we can go, so please, someone turn off the rain and let it dry up.

Weather forecast for the next week --- more rain!!! :sad:
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Ill gladly take some of your rain so that our hay prices can continue to go back to normal BUT I am enjoying the nice weather. It makes it hard to find an excuse NOT to ride.

My May Challenge is:
    Ride my mare a minimum of 3x per week for at least an hour. Not just ride, but work on things my trainer is teaching me.
    Work my gelding (he has hip issues) at least 2x per week on the lunge line and stretch him out really good
    By May 15th I would like to be riding my mare at least once per week in my english saddle - I am learning Western Dressage and taking basic dressage lessons but I think the english saddle def improves my balance and stability.
    I may think of more but thats it for now.
  • salsa81
    salsa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So today, I was hoping to get one of my 3 rides in for the week. But....

British weather strikes again!! It's throwing it down and it's forecast like it all day, so I won't be able to go tonight after work, like I was planning to :sad:
  • ruralgirl
    ruralgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Well the sun has finally come out here in Devon UK but the ground is still saturated:-( I have 2 riding horses, a 2 yo plus the kids pony. I have just gone back to work 4 days per week wheras I was doing 3 following return from maturnity leave last autumn so usually I have my lesson on Friday and can ride sat and sun but I need to fit in another one in the week either at lunchtime or evening ( I work from home so easier than it could be). I was riding every wednesday afternoon which worked really well. Its just making time with 14 month old twins and a 5 yo lol. I also want to start doing a bit more with the 2 yo so she is handled more. None of mine are out on the fields yet and my husbands horse was wild last time we went out - he needs to go out more too. So! I will try and remember to log.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I had every intention of riding last night and it didnt happen. :( Sometimes life gets in the way, I guess. I cant ride tonight - its swimming lessons for my daughter but I may be able to get the old man (my gelding - Snazzy) stretched out and on the lunge line for a little while. Tomorrow is my dressage lesson so I will definitely be horseback.
  • newlifecowgirl
    Options
    Still raining here in good old Washington state :( Haven't been able to work or ride for over a week because of this weather!