I just can't do crossovers!

Options
Seriously I can't get in my head how to do them and it's driving me insane. I have basic skills in two weeks and no matter how hard I try I just can’t get the hang of them.
Any tips?

Replies

• thegreengoth
    thegreengoth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Drill time! Make sure your trucks are loose enough. You may feel more secure changing your wheels to a softer grade so that you've more traction, however that may slow you down a bit
    Secondly, start drilling yourself to go up and down stairs sideways, crossing one leg over the other. Then kick it up a knotch by adding some 5lb leg weights to help simulate the weight of skates :bigsmile:
    Here's a youtube video of some drills to give you ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUwfbtNGinM
  • Sianarella
    Options
    Thank you! I think with the skill test in a few weeks I'm freaking out on what I can and can't do. I'm not the fastest in Fresh Meat, but I’m loving it.
    I’m just annoyed with myself that I can’t do something in the lower part of skills but blocking I’m fine! I have to keep telling myself I was off skates for the first four weeks due to injury but still caught up on most of it – bloody crossovers!
  • thegreengoth
    thegreengoth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much :) Just make sure you are properly warmed up and stretched, otherwise you'll risk reinjury
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    also try doing crossovers without actualy lifting your feet up off the ground at first till you get comfortable... start with a scissor motion with your legs... in an out .... then do the same movment with one foot in front of the other as your legs come in.. stick with it you will get it
  • ArchangelaJ
    Options
    Try putting out your arms like an airplane and leaning & turning your body in the direction you want to go around the corners. I've been doing derby for 4 years and I still do that for crossovers when we're skating counter-skatewise. I swear my left leg just refuses to cooperate when going that direction.
  • throttler228
    Options
    Can you balance yourself on either leg while skating? Like try gliding for a whole straightaway on one leg, then the other. It will help improve your balance and trust. A lot of it is strength and learning to lean in to the corner. I started off skating with a significantly weaker left leg, and had to build up strength over a long period of time to even things out. Although now I've injured that leg and get to start all over again! yay?
  • Sianarella
    Options
    I can glide for a bit on each leg, but my head just can't get around cross overs - I have the skills test this Sunday and theres so much I can't do.
  • throttler228
    Options
    It will just take time and practice. Focus on things you CAN do for now, and work on improving for next time if you don't make it thru the test. There will be other tests, and it doesn't mean you're finished with derby. Ask folks for help. It is very much a mind-over-matter thing, but doing it just once will help you figure it out. All the things people have mentioned here WILL help you.
  • aurorabdcrg
    Options
    Throttler has some great advice. Be sure to rotate your upper body so that you are always facing the center of the track.

If you can't do a fluid crossover yet, try the "exaggerated" crossover - coast on your left leg, raising your right off of the ground, and hold it for three seconds. Then, cross your right leg over your left, placing your right skate down and lifting your left leg off of the ground. Hold it for three seconds, then switch back to your right leg. As you switch, be sure to push off of your inner edges so that you have some momentum going into the next "holding" position.

You'll have crossovers in no time! :)
  • Sianarella
    Options
    Counting down until sunday and trying not to think too much about it.
  • Sianarella
    Options
    So minimums tomorrow... not going to be sick...
  • IrateBeth
    IrateBeth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Curious to know how it went for you.

I admit, I did not really "read" through all the comments, but I skimmed.
    Something that helped me during Fresh Met training was isolating each movement.

Essentially you keep your inside leg "planted" and bent at the knee and for 10 laps you push out with your outside leg. You want to try and cross in front of your "stationary" lag to simulate the crossover.
    After 10 or so laps, switch. Your outside leg is now planted and you cannot lift it. Use your inside leg, crossing it behind your outside, and propel yourself for about 10 or so laps.
    It's awkward, but helpful.
    So, after all of that, put them together. make your strides meaningful and go as slow as you can to build muscle memory.

If you didn't pass today... don't give up. Keep practicing. Some of our better skaters didn't pass last season, they ref'd and then tried out again... and it has been super worth it.
  • Sianarella
    Sianarella Posts: 79
    Options
    They've had to split out skills test over two days - so we now wont find out until after next week (hitting/blocking and the 25 in 5mins)

My crossovers and Tstops sucked - I doubt I've passed.