Natural Remedies for PCOS

Options
Julibug86
Julibug86 Posts: 21 Member
Does anyone have any natural remedies for PCOS? I'd rather not go down the metaformin track, but am struggling with just low carb-high protein diet and lots of cardio. I plan to keep up the diet and exercise, but would love to hear any tips on losing the weight with PCOS.

As a side note, for those who have already lost, are you seeing less facial and body hair? I'd love to be in shape and hairless!

Replies

• ayoung0811
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I have the same questions. What kind of dr do you see? My gyno diagnosed me, but I'm not crazy about him. I think I'd rather see an endo.
  • Julibug86
    Julibug86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just seeing a gyno. My sister had already been diagnosed for years and goes to the same practice, so they weren't surprised when I had the same symptoms.
  • auntamama
    auntamama Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any but would love to hear anyone else's feedback on this. I have been on Metformen almost 3 months, and have lost 3 lbs, and that was when I started counting calories and exercise 2 weeks ago. I keep reading success stories about how much weight has been lost using metformen, but so far I haven't felt any different, and still have to pluck my beard everyday. Also using the vaniqua (sp) cream, and it hasn't seemed to help and is expensive and insurance won't cover it. At least mine won't. Don't mean for this to sound like a negative post, but just wanted to share my experience.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any but would love to hear anyone else's feedback on this. I have been on Metformen almost 3 months, and have lost 3 lbs, and that was when I started counting calories and exercise 2 weeks ago. I keep reading success stories about how much weight has been lost using metformen, but so far I haven't felt any different, and still have to pluck my beard everyday. Also using the vaniqua (sp) cream, and it hasn't seemed to help and is expensive and insurance won't cover it. At least mine won't. Don't mean for this to sound like a negative post, but just wanted to share my experience.

What's your dose of Metformin? and are you using a low GI diet whilst you're on it? I've been on it for 6 weeks now and i've lost about 6lbs, not a huge difference like some of the success stories you hear about. What's your starting weight as well? I'm 169lbs now, I think some of those who see a massive difference are much much bigger. You need to still put in the exercise to make it work. It helps you break down those carbs, so the less carbs you eat (not just calorie counting) the more it can get to work on the fat you've got stored.
  • auntamama
    auntamama Posts: 43 Member
    Options

What's your dose of Metformin? and are you using a low GI diet whilst you're on it? I've been on it for 6 weeks now and i've lost about 6lbs, not a huge difference like some of the success stories you hear about. What's your starting weight as well? I'm 169lbs now, I think some of those who see a massive difference are much much bigger. You need to still put in the exercise to make it work. It helps you break down those carbs, so the less carbs you eat (not just calorie counting) the more it can get to work on the fat you've got stored.

I am taking 1500mg a day. I started really working out and counting calories 16 days ago, and as of today, have lost 5 lbs in those 16 days. Was really frustrated yesterday, because I was only down 2.4 lbs, but weighed today and it is finally moving again. Nothing before that. I am working out a lot, and trying to eat pretty good, although had a few bad days the last few days. Anyway went shopping tonight and got some "good food", so back at it. After reading on this last night, I am defiantly going to try and cut the carbs out. Already been working on the sugar, so hopefully less carbs will really help. Love seeing all the advice and successes on here. Very motivating. Also, starting weight 214, so I have a long ways to go. I have been going back and forth from 222-202 for 13 years or so. And I am only 5'4", so this is not a healthy weight for me at all. Really hoping to get rid of more tummy. It has been really hard to do since my c-section 3 1/2 years ago.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'd heard a lot about Chiral Balance DCI. I was going to ask my doctor about it because, even with Met and Spiro my hormones were still really off but, before I even got the chance, she recommended it to me. It's been fantastic! Kind of expensive but check out the reviews and the website and give it a try; they usually have coupons and other offers to help cut down the price too.
  • kflawless
    kflawless Posts: 1
    Options
    I have had pcos all of my life and recently have been trying to conceive. I tried Chiral balance and had a terrible withdrawl bleed, i wanted to try it again but I really havent heard much about it and was scared because it is fairly new. Did it help you loose weight? did it help your pcos/ insulin resistant?
  • tara1216
    tara1216 Posts: 3
    Options
    My endo has me taking chromium, B12, and cinnamon along with a multi vitamin. I also take 1500 of the metformin. I have to keep it lower carb to lose the weight.
  • viannee
    viannee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to the group. :)
    I was diagnosed 3 years ago and was prescribed Metformin for it.
    When I tried it first, I had headaches so I switched to a different brand.

I was fine with it for a while but for some odd reason, when I started eating healthy it started giving me nasty side effects too.
    Oh the bathroom trips I had to make, it wasn't pretty at all!
    I tried switching to a different brand. Didn't work either.
    Extended Release forms (Glucophage XR, Glumet XR) merely reduced the number of trips. I felt s.h.i.t.ty literally and figuratively (sorry for the visual).

Not sure if you could call this a natural remedy but for me, it's better than nothing.
    I've been using Ampalaya (Bitter Gourd) supplements for almost 3 weeks now. I don't know it helped my PCOS but along with eating healthier, I feel significantly better -- as in I have steady and sustained energy (not energy rush than crash).
    I have yet to have my blood sugar checked again to see it it did have an effect. Although my numbers are in the middle of the normal range, I am wary because I have a family history of Type 2 Diabetes.
    I also need to have an ultrasound again to see if I there's any improvement. I'll report back. :)
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Vitex for hormone balancing, inducing period and keeping it regular, and for trying to get pregnant.

1/2 tsp of cinnamon per day instead of Metformin ( in studies has proven to be more effective than Metformin) for insulin resistance

Chromium and B12 or B complex in addition to a good multivitamin.

Drinking Spearmint tea is supposed to help with symptoms of too much male hormones.

I have heard of Maca an adaptogenic herb that is supposed to help, but haven't tried it personally so I can't vouch for that.
  • bijoux2711
    bijoux2711 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hiya. Im not on the natural route at the moment but I have had lots of success with 2000mg Metformin. 50kg (100lb) lost in 10 months with a low GI approach and lots of exercise. Facial hair has reduced significantly since introduction of Aldectone 6 months ago and it's now blonde instead of black. I also take a multivitamin & maca powder. I have previously had acupuncture & chinese medicine although it wasn't as effective for weight loss compared to Metformin.
  • raylenel
    Options
    Hi there,

I've recently started Glucosmart and Estrosmart. It's only been a few weeks, but my belly is starting to get smaller. Here's hoping! :)
  • Cherylpie77
    Cherylpie77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 3 years ago and took Metformin for a few months but it just me bloat horribly after eating anything. I have lost weight by strict calorie counting and going to the gym three times a week - it seems impossible, but that's the only thing that's ever worked.

My skin is much better after losing a stone and a half, but still random hairyness ensues. I feel much better for dropping the weight though.

There are some really good PCOS books by Colette Harris that PCOS sufferers should read.