Long run water bottles

Options
bshedwick
bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
For those of you that run with a hand held water bottle, or one that straps to your hand: Do you feel that it slows you down or tires you out any more than without a bottle?

I usually keep mine strapped to my right hand, and when i finished the water at about mile 10 or 12.5 yesterday, I strapped it to my running pack. I had this feeling like it was much easier to run those last two miles without it.

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I can't run with something in my hands. So I got a camelbak I like it. It is kind of hard to reach for it. But it holds enough water for me.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I hate carrying water, but when I need to I use a handheld. I have a 20 oz and 10 oz bottle. They don't really bug me. I like them better than any other method of carrying water. Just a matter of personal preference.

For marathons, I start my races with a regular 16 oz plastic water bottle. That way I can skip the first few water stops and then ditch the bottle when I see fit (or hold on to it)

Half marathons I usually don't drink enough to worry about it either way.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have a fuelbelt handheld one. I change hands every mile or so but really don't notice it honestly....and I hate carrying anything!
  • jquinn1971
    Options
    I recently bought a fuel belt with 4 7-oz bottles. I haven't noticed any extra fatigue, but then I only wear it fully loaded in heat when I'm likely to fatigue early anyway. I bought a bigger pouch than "stock" to tuck a few packets of Gu and some cash into. The only real problem I had with it was that the first time I wore it I drank way too much.
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I carry a 250 mil bottle I think by Nathan, and then for long runs, I use a camelbak. I used to carry a heavier on in my hand, but it was very cumbersome. agreed it can tire you out, but practicing carrying a water bottle is what you have to do. It's not something that is comfortable the first or even 10th time around. I have heard that you can get use to it, but I haven't yet. lol
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    One word...."Camelbak"
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I don't like carrying anything, but I did debate a handheld bottle vs. a belt. I ended up buying a Nathan belt w/a pouch and 2 water bottles, and I love it so far. It doesn't feel like I'm carrying anything much, and it wasn't hot, heavy, or bouncy.

I think whatever works for you. I assume (like kenleyj) that the handheld ones can get more comfortable with practice...Love to hear what other experienced "handheld" folks think, too.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have a 10oz Natahn bottle that I carry on mid-length runs. Doesn't bother me at all. I don't feel like I'm carrying it as I slip my hand and thumb in it and forget about it. I don't have to grip it to hold it... Which is nice.
  • BenBz
    BenBz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've come to like a Nathan brand handheld bottle. It's pretty comfortable and has a great little pouch for my car key and a Gu or two...
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I use amphipod handheld water bottle for runs over 6 miles. It holds 12 oz. When I am doing my long half training runs (over 10 miles) I usually stash a water bottle in bushes to refill my handheld for the last few miles. That said, if you know when your water stops will be during the race, you can always just stash a water bottle at those mile markers during your route. It would make it realistic for when you'll have water while racing (not constantly) and you could throw them in a trash can (or restash them to recycle later) after you take a few sips.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Camelbak.....plus it depends on what you mean by long run. I have my own rule that anything over 1.5 hours will need me to hydrate so for my long runs 20 miles plus I use a camelbak with feeder hose which hold 1.5 litres.

You shouldn't glug too much as it draws blood to the stomach so small sips regularly is better so I'm told.

For marathon training its an essential piece of kit.

Camlebaks are the future

Cant hold anything in my hand I need my arms free to balance and add momentum to my running (unrestricted)

Thats just my take on it.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Swiggies are good for long distance runs. THey are small bottles that attach like a watch around your wrists and you just swig when you need.
    http://www.newitts.com/product/IT044489/Swiggies_Wrist_Water_Bottles.htm?utm_source=Google+Base&utm_medium=Price+Comparison&utm_campaign=Google+Product+Search&utm_content=IT044489
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Short runs of 2- 10 miles I use a little clip on bottle called the wedge from fuel belt. Clips right to your waistband. Im an amphipod user as well and love it. It doesnt bother me at all. I use it on mid distance runs of 10-15 miles along with the wedge for refills and on longer runs I clip the wedge to my nathan (2) 10oz bottle belt and carry the amphipod. For my recent 35k trail race I skipped all of the aid stations because I was carrying enough to last. Got my PR on a seriously hard course with 2400 ft of elevation gain.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I use a camelbak. I bought a Nathans hydration belt but I hated it so much that for a while I would just run loops near my car with water bottles stashed in my car but that made my course less interesting and I would have to carry things. I much prefer my camelbak. It barely moves and it' encourages sipping instead of chugging.