Weight lifting during taper week

Options
bshedwick
bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
I'm in my taper week prior to my half marathon on Sunday. I'm thinking about doing a small bit of light lower body weight lifting tonight in conjunction with my 3 mile run. Want to make my legs a little bit stronger.

Good idea, bad idea?

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I did my first 1/2 marathon this weekend (so I can't speak from lots of experience), but I stayed away from lower body work for about 6 days before my race. I did some shorter runs and did a spin class just to keep everything moving, but I didn't want any muscle fatigue in my legs before the race.

Just my opinion...hopefully some more experienced folks can speak to this.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Have you been weight training in conjunction with your running? Go for it. If you've not been weight training, don't do it.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Have you been weight training in conjunction with your running? Go for it. If you've not been weight training, don't do it.

Agree.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this. Trust in your training and stick to whatever plan you're using. Taper weeks are great and they suck, too. I've always started to feel like I have pent-up energy. In the past, I've done an easy jog two days before the race - really easy just to keep the muscles loose, but not trying to do much else. I take the day before off and then I'm ready to go race morning.
    But, as lauliepop said, I wouldn't introduce something new into my program at this point.
  • bshedwick
    Options

Yes, I have been consistently doing weight training as part of my training. Thanks for the advice.

I do have a bunch of pent up nervous energy since this is my first half marathon. Have to be sure to take it easy this week.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Yes, I have been consistently doing weight training as part of my training. Thanks for the advice.

I do have a bunch of pent up nervous energy since this is my first half marathon. Have to be sure to take it easy this week.

Try to take it easy. I know it's much easier said than done. It's not called "taper madness" for nothing. I thought I was going insane during the taper before my first marathon. Resist the urge to push too much, you need the rest before the big day. Best of luck to you....there is NOTHING like completing your first marathon.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I generally lift at least twice a week. Did my first half a couple of weeks ago - I went very light on legs on Tuesday before the race and focused on upper body and core (working with a trainer who's also a runner) then took my second lifting day of the week off. Anything we did with legs was very light so I could get some really good stretching in at the end. that worked well and we used the same method this week (another half on Saturday)...
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    For halfs i just do a deload week, for fulls i take a week off
  • bshedwick
    Options
    I ended up doing my normal set of lower body lifting, just at a lot lower weight. Feeling good. no more lifting for the week.