Workouts

DerekG79
DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
So what are you guys doing for workouts? I am doing Power 90 right now. Its a good program, but I am not burning a lot. I am so envious of these guys that burn 1,000 calories in a workout. I don't have the stamina for that yet.

Replies

• leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/no-gym-no-excuses-workout is the type of thing I do.

Luckily my local gym offers this as a program with Kinesiologists so I have someone to watch over me to ensure I do the movements correctly. Our circuit is 7 of these exercises. You don’t do reps – instead you do the exercise for 60 seconds each – as best as you can. 10 second break between the exercises then a 2 minute break between the circuits. You will to the same circuit 3 times. The good thing about the program is they are basic movements – you get to pace yourself as its “how many you can do” versus “do ‘X’ number’. I’ve gotten a lot of benefit out of it. I haven’t lost a lot of weight but I’m getting a lot of comments that people think I am because I am reshaping significantly. I have triceps!!!!!!!! Lol. Anyway I love the program. I use to get really bored with the elliptical and this program changes up all the time per the class. Maybe this helps. I will say Mens Health is a great resource. I use to see their workouts and say it wasn’t for me but now that I do I realize it’s the best workout I’ve done. I does muscle groups instead of individual muscles which help with stability in the long run.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    I lift 3x a week and walk 10,000 steps most days. I was resting a calf injury last week so had to really watch the food.

I'd like to add a core workout on my non lifting days and a stretching or yoga workout daily, but meh baby steps.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    I mix it up between killer cardio days and weight lifting days. I still use the lifting program I used in college. Push. Pull. Legs.
  • cryptique
    cryptique Posts: 28
    I belong to a pretty good local health club. Right now I typically do a hard 35 minutes on an elliptical and (less often) part of their Nautilus circuit, utilizing the Super Slow technique.

The club has tons of classes that are free with membership, and I've taken a few of them but need to take more. My girlfriend goes to their boot camp 2-3 times a week and I should probably do that too, but I've been battling some nagging injuries and I've been hesitant to try to do much more than I am now for fear of aggravating a knee, elbow, or shoulder (yup, I'm kind of a wreck right now).

I play 9 holes of golf a week (in a league), but with a cart. I also walk outside, usually 5K at a brisk pace.

I don't really like MyFitnessPal's way of tracking exercise -- I don't want them to add calories to my available total for the day based on the exercise that I do. Is there a way to prevent that calculation? (I just ignore the calculated number, but I'd prefer not to see it at all.)
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member

I don't really like MyFitnessPal's way of tracking exercise -- I don't want them to add calories to my available total for the day based on the exercise that I do. Is there a way to prevent that calculation? (I just ignore the calculated number, but I'd prefer not to see it at all.)

Well the best way to prevent them from adding the total is to just not add your exercise. I guess you could manually put the exercise in and then just adjust the calorie burn to zero. I like to add mine because it is motivating to see the message at the end of the day that tells me what I "could" weigh in five weeks. I generally do not eat back my exercise calories and if I do very few. It is nice to know that I either have a bit of a weekend calorie cushion if I go over one day or that it will just translate into greater losees.

As to my workouts, I have take time off P90. I have this nagging shoulder thing going on and I honestly cannot do proper pushups. I just got turned onto nerdfitness.com. I am doing 40 minutes of cardio daily and the Angry Birds workout on there three days a week. That workout looks easy, but it gets the muscles screaming before its over. I highly recommend it.
  • cryptique
    cryptique Posts: 28
    I guess you could manually put the exercise in and then just adjust the calorie burn to zero.
    Hadn't thought of that. Not a bad idea.