Question for the calorie conscious tattoo community.

Options
Ekoria
Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
I have an 8 hour tattoo session booked in in the next few weeks and although I have a lot of tattoos already and have had a 7 hour session prior to this I am wondering what the best plan is for eating the day.

I need to keep my sugar levels up as I don't want to flake out half way through (it's at a tattoo convention and I don't want to embarrass myself lol) so do you guys have any thoughts on what I should eat?

P.S: Any one who hates tattoo's/tattooed people need not reply :P

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have never felt faint during a session and tend to not eat the whole time, I brought a bottle of coke and a protein bar for my 8 hour session and I was fine, I think you will be the best judge on this one!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to speak up and tell the artist you need a break if you need one. It's better to speak up then pass out or be extremely hungry. I'd be sure to eat a decent breakfast and keep some snack bars on you as well.
  • Ekoria
    Options
    I have never felt faint during a session and tend to not eat the whole time, I brought a bottle of coke and a protein bar for my 8 hour session and I was fine, I think you will be the best judge on this one!

Thanks, I have yet to feel faint on a long sitting but I do worry I will make a bit of a fool of myself if I do sudddenly pass out lol. I think I am going to go with full fat coke for the day and a hearty brekkie. Thanks :)
  • Ekoria
    Options
    Don't be afraid to speak up and tell the artist you need a break if you need one. It's better to speak up then pass out or be extremely hungry. I'd be sure to eat a decent breakfast and keep some snack bars on you as well.

I think thats the best idea. The guy who is doing the work is lovely and I am sure he will be fine with me pooping off for a bit if I need it. Yeah I am thinking something like Oat So Simple would be a good plan and then just a few boiled sweets and some chocolate on stand by.

• numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For long sessions, I tend eat a decent breakfast and bring water with me. I'll also eat when it's over. Then again, I also tend to fall asleep within the first 15-30 minutes and my artist is very used to waking me up to get me to move. I'll take a drink when I shift to the next position he wants me in, gossip for a bit and then usually end up falling back to sleep again. I'm also the person who frequently falls aleep at the theatre so I think it's the "staying in one place for too long while listening to music" that knocks me out more than anything else.

My current artist has a very gentle touch. Rarely feel any sort of pain or discomfort.
  • StephD1185
    StephD1185 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What are you getting done?? I think a drink, fruit and/or a granola bar would be good.
  • Ekoria
    Options
    For long sessions, I tend eat a decent breakfast and bring water with me. I'll also eat when it's over. Then again, I also tend to fall asleep within the first 15-30 minutes and my artist is very used to waking me up to get me to move. I'll take a drink when I shift to the next position he wants me in, gossip for a bit and then usually end up falling back to sleep again. I'm also the person who frequently falls aleep at the theatre so I think it's the "staying in one place for too long while listening to music" that knocks me out more than anything else.

My current artist has a very gentle touch. Rarely feel any sort of pain or discomfort.

I am glad it isn't just me that nods off, I am useless when I am being tattooed! I think water is going to be a good shout and a decent breakfast. Thank you :)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options
    I was laying down for my 8 hour session and I also fell asleep lol
  • Ekoria
    Options
    What are you getting done?? I think a drink, fruit and/or a granola bar would be good.

I am getting an Audrey Kawasaki picture on my right arm (left is full already lol) and yeah a granola bar would be a great idea. Thank you :)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options
    That's going to be awesome! post a picture because I want to see that! Will it be water colours?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think you can afford yourself a soda treat that day. =)
  • StephD1185
    StephD1185 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's going to be awesome! post a picture because I want to see that! Will it be water colours?
    I agree! Can't wait to see pictures. :)
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    OMG TATTOOS ARE HORRIBLE!!!! WHY WOULD YOU SUBJECT YOURSELF TO THAT!!!?!?!?! YOUR BODY IS A TEMPLE DON'T ADD GRAFITI!!!

Ok, sorry, just wanted to save someone else from saying that. ;)

I've found that I keep gatorade with me or a granola bar. Sometimes like peanuts or almonds or something. Also my artist has started using bactine as he is working, it basically kills the burn on the rest of the tattoo so I only have to focus on the section he's working on. I have no problem admitting I'm a wuss when it comes to the pain, but I do have a couple of larger pieces so :-P
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I second gatorade or orange juice over Coke. I like Coke, but oj's better for this sort of thing. And plenty of water. Don't be afraid to ask for a break if you need one--the artist will too, at some point. And something with protein. I'd bring some nuts to chew on, if you're going to have a hand free. It provides a distraction as well as food!
  • _trickpie
    _trickpie Posts: 87
    Options
    I am getting an Audrey Kawasaki picture on my right arm (left is full already lol)
    I love love love her work! Which piece?