My deads and squats videos...

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
I already shared these with my friends but just for fun, I'll post them here too.

I took these this morning for form checks. I'm rounding my back slightly on the deads. I need to bring it closer to my shins when starting (so I've been told). I need to get some pants or long socks...

http://youtu.be/vSgfdxKjk9A

http://youtu.be/zuXW8lZKjos

Replies

• mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Geez, I kinda wish we could drop the weights at our gym too, I feel like I could lift more. Great form Rachel, I don't see that you are rounding your back--your form looks perfect to me. You look so strong and fit. You've done so great.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Looking good, lady. I wish I could help with the critique part but I just don't have the experience yet. I see what you're talking about with the rounding. It's really brief and you straighten out quickly. As far as the bar position, I'm sure there's a method to getting it closer, but I bet you won't need a razor to shave with any more when you find it :bigsmile:
  • IzzieLee
    IzzieLee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Rachel these look really good to me. I couldn't really see any problems with your form on either until I read the comments someone posted on each video. Once it was pointed out I could see what they were talking about.
    Thanks for posting them. I think it will help all of us when working on our form. Can't wait until I have that much weight on the bar! Great job!!
  • mamamudbug
    Options
    /
    Rachel these look really good to me. I couldn't really see any problems with your form on either until I read the comments someone posted on each video. Once it was pointed out I could see what they were talking about.
    Thanks for posting them. I think it will help all of us when working on our form. Can't wait until I have that much weight on the bar! Great job!!

Yeah, I don't think I would have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out. Then I started looking at it like a " what's wrong with this picture" thing.

I know this is probably a newb/stupid question but does it truly count as rounding your back in this video because what I'm seeing is your back slightly rounds as the weight "catches" or impacts as you finally start to rise with the weight? It's not that you are rounding and rolling your back as you stand. I hope my question makes sense, I don't know a proper analogy for what I'm asking...:ohwell:
  • Rae6503
    Options
    In this video its very slight, a lot of my friends said there was no rounding, only a few of the guys could see it (I could, and so could my lifting partner).

It's still bad and can hurt your back. I should really be bringing my shoulders up first, keeping my back locked in either a completely flat position, or even a little bit arched the other direction. I can do it at lower weights, so I might have to go back down a little (again) to try to fix it, or maybe just the tips I've gotten will help.

This was my last video the round was more obvious (and it was more weight too, but I went down to try to fix it).

http://youtu.be/oG78rvuVc74
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I am so totally envious of your squat form. Like really. I'm kind of swoony.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Joined the group just so I can save this :)
  • mamamudbug
    Options
    I am so totally envious of your squat form. Like really. I'm kind of swoony.

Right?!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    killer girl! love watching these uploaded videos! I need to set something up myself!

my .02: Squat - you start leaning forward (probably because the bar is really low on your back) and remain in a forward position even at the top of your squat, and you look down at the top of your squat.

deadlift- 2nd deadlift you engaged with your legs first, and didn't pull with your back. Don't forget a full hip extension at the top (it's hard to tell, but it looks like your hips remain behind you)
  • Rae6503
    Options
    killer girl! love watching these uploaded videos! I need to set something up myself!

my .02: Squat - you start leaning forward (probably because the bar is really low on your back) and remain in a forward position even at the top of your squat, and you look down at the top of your squat.

deadlift- 2nd deadlift you engaged with your legs first, and didn't pull with your back. Don't forget a full hip extension at the top (it's hard to tell, but it looks like your hips remain behind you)

I thought I was supposed to engage with my legs first?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    No, i mean it was the best lift :)
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Ah, okay. I was worried for a second.
  • JaimeBrown5
    JaimeBrown5 Posts: 324
    Options
    I could be totally wrong.. but everything I've read/watched on deads was to follow the same path you went up with on the return. That you basically dead up along your body (as close to shins/knees etc) and then refollow on the way back down (being careful not to bash yourself in the knee). I've done it that way all along, and it's on the way back down that I feel the most work in my abs for them.

I could be wrong, it just seems like you pull up and then it's just, over.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    A MFP friend who know a lot about powerlifting (he's gone now) told me it was okay to drop them. I just googled "dropping deadlifts" and found a few articles agreed with him:

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1468

http://jasonferruggia.com/drop-the-deadlift/

I didn't find anything that said don't drop it.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I use plastic weights for my deads on a standard bar so there's no dropping for me! I do think back down is the most likely to get injured.... could be wrong on that though.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Regarding the deadlift - "Lower the bar by pushing your hips back first, and then bend your knees once the bar reaches knee level (NOT before otherwise the bar will hit your knees)."

Taken from here: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-technique/

I'm with Jamie - I've been pulling and then lowering following the same path.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Geez, I kinda wish we could drop the weights at our gym too, I feel like I could lift more. Great form Rachel, I don't see that you are rounding your back--your form looks perfect to me. You look so strong and fit. You've done so great.

This! I think your form looks great and did not see the rounding you mentioned. I too wish I could drop the weight after my deads because I think holding it while bringing it down feels just wrong, I could lift more, and wouldn't have that sometimes-stiff-back I get the next day. I know it's from holding the weight on the way down. Ugh! Great form girl! Very motivating.