DaIly horse goals!

Options
I had an idea to post our daily horse goals!! Anyone can do thIs and you could also do your weekly horse goals.

Example:

Today my goal was to give my horse a good brushing for 30 minutes, then do ground work for 20 minutes, ride normally for 60 and do barrels for 30. For me this is a bigger day...

Everyone's goals vary so, feel free to write what you did in the comments!!

Also if you want to add me as a "friend" that would be awesome!

Replies

• TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I just joined a horse club and signed up for western dressage clinics/lessons. My goal is to ride at least 3x per week, ground work 2x per week, and give my daughter lessons on Saturday's. This is a stretch but now that the time has changed, I can get a lot more done in the evening.
  • salsa81
    salsa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for our clocks to go forward (only 2 weeks to go) and then my goal will be to hack out at least 3 times a week!

At the moment, it will only be once a week at a weekend.

But when I go, I do give Shy a good groom (about 20 minutes).
  • ChocFiend
    ChocFiend Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    ride for 40minutes (up from 30 as part of improving fitness)
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My goal for this year is just to ride more than last year. So far with the great weather it is looking good.

Goal #1 - desensitize my horse the the hose! I would love to not be the one to get the bath! :happy:
  • loosetorideagain
    loosetorideagain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When the clocks go forward next Sat/Sun I aim to work with my 20 month old gelding doing Horse Agility...

Hope the weather stays good and we can achieve our goals.
  • lorrainepiercy
    lorrainepiercy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi
    My goal is to get fit and get back into riding my 2 OTTb's. no excuses. Im also back into riding after errr hrmm 30years dont laugh...
    My brain knows what to do perfectly but the body, it is a long way behind catching up.
  • lkellandmay
    lkellandmay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great idea...
    Can we do a 30 day challenge? - for horse people?
    I hope to ride 20 out of the next 30 days.
    Grooming for me this time of year is more like scraping hair off the horses. So now time for shedding blades, brushes and jsckets that don't hold the hair.

Today I lunged then rode my 'big guy' and he was great!
    What type of exercises do you do in your regular routine to prevent boredom?
    For you and your horse?

~Laura
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Great idea...
    Can we do a 30 day challenge? - for horse people?
    I hope to ride 20 out of the next 30 days.
    Grooming for me this time of year is more like scraping hair off the horses. So now time for shedding blades, brushes and jsckets that don't hold the hair.

Today I lunged then rode my 'big guy' and he was great!
    What type of exercises do you do in your regular routine to prevent boredom?
    For you and your horse?

~Laura

I like the idea of a 30 day horse challenge!! I am doing some new things with my horse and really trying to get dedicated to being in the saddle again. The time change makes it easier. Feel free to private message or add me as a friend if you would like!
  • m00nflwr
    m00nflwr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm up early to get out riding!

My goal is to ride 3x a week this month.
    I had been slacking with it over the winter and even last month as I have been super busy with grad school.

I rode on Monday and while we had a great ride I could tell neither me nor my horse were in our best shape.
  • m00nflwr
    Options
    good ride this morning! lots of bending and good collection! we had a really nice canter in both directions, without Mikey getting too strong which he has a tendency to do. our problem lately has been the trot AFTER our canter. he's always really excited and energetic and super strong and quick so today we worked on that and got a nice trot at the end of our ride!

I love that I can say my 27 year old horse is too strong and quick and energetic sometimes :)
  • lkellandmay
    lkellandmay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Excellent discussions here.
    so far this month - thats the last 3 days - I get up early and muck stalls before i do anything (4 horses = 4 stalls to muck) and have horses on a rotation basis. ride 2 horsesper day for 5 days... so far so good for the last week and first part of april!

I count the stall mucking as exercise and the rides as general rides for exercises as well.

~Laura
  • m00nflwr
    Options
    mucking stalls is definitely exercise!

some days I work up a sweat grooming but I don't enter than in my cals burned, just my rides
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I just acquired a new horse so he has been getting used to my place. Tomorrow he gets moved over to his final stop for a while so he can get used to my other 2 yr old before I put them in the same pasture together. So I guess a goal for this week is just to groom him and continue to get him used to me and my routine.
  • newlifecowgirl
    Options
    I just joined the group, but my goal is to be able to swing a leg over my 3 yr old colt by his birthday onJune 21st. He's already broke and being ridden by a trainer friend, but I have refused to step foot on him till I am down to a certain weight. A goal I am determined to keep! I the mean time I am riding his mother 3x a week, and grooming them both every other day since they are shedding like crazy!
  • fitequestrian
    fitequestrian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to ride more often. I often feel too tired/unmotivated to do so, but I know that in order to be motivated, you have to act motivated. So my goal is to ride at least three times a week. I'd love to be able to ride four to five times a week, though. Not only do I need more cardio in my life, my pony needs more schooling, as I'm hoping to lease her throughout the next few months.
  • salsa81
    Options
    Last week I got my 3 rides in.

This week not doing so well. The weather here has been unpredictable to say the least and I was out on Wednesday night so as of yet, not got a ride in this week.

Weather permitting, my aim is to get 2 in this weekend, 1 both days.......fingers crossed for light drizzle or no rain!!

Hopefully now it's lighter I can get back into my routine and get back up to 4 days a week. We both need to get our fitness up as it seems that there have been some longer hacks planned for when it's nice in summer.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,183 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

This is a great idea -- sadly my next weeks are a bit upside-down, but after May 8th I'll be needing to work my just-turned-4 year-old and my 11 year-old. My daughter is going away for the summer so I'll have to keep them both fit, and get the youngster into his next level of training. So once I'm back from the next while of being away it will be time to get going at least 4 days per week...

I'll be back!!!
  • m00nflwr
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting in longer rides... I've just been getting bored in the arena. In a month I'm moving to a new place with hundreds of miles of trails but in the meantime I'm stuck in the ring.
  • salsa81
    Options
    Got my 2 in this weekend YAY!!!!!

The weather was lovely and despite not having any company we got two really good hacks in.

On Saturday we went down this single track road which leads to nowhere, so you have to turn round and come back. I love this track as it's on a tidal road and leads to a very little village at the end, where you can turn it into a 3hr beach ride if you want. There were only a few cars but as predicted, it took us around 30 mins to get out there and about 25 back.......Shy loves the sea and gets excited when she gets a sniff of the air! However, going home is also good too!!!!

Sunday we did a nice 3mile loop, all on roads but it's good cos it's quite hilly. I've started to do some trot work now to keep her balanced and in a good rhythm. From taking to her owner and her owner's mum, it seems that they've just got on her, expected her to go fast round show jump courses and then got off her again! I'm teaching her that life is good at a steady pace! Now we've got the walk perfected and not jogging on the way home, it's time to get the trot right.

Plan for this week....ride Tuesday and Thursday (weather permitting of course). I have a treadmill at home so Monday and Wednesday I'll get an hour on there in.

I'm off to see my mum and dad at the weekend so no riding then :( hopefully next week get back into the 4 rides a week.
  • ladylonglegs21
    ladylonglegs21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey All -

I just joined the group. :-) I ride in western pleasure/equitation competitions. For exercises I like to do patterns with cones or serpentines, kinda keeps my boy on his toes instead of assuming he knows what I want to do. hehe.