Leg pain... shin splints???

Options
lindsyrox
lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
So I've been running in minimalist shoes or the last 9 months or so so I'm not real new to it. I had the begginers calf pain but since that first month i haven't had any problems EXCEPT one. So you know that bone that runs down the front of your leg that when you get shin splints it hurts along the front edge of your leg, well i get pain on the opposite side of that bone, on the edge of it that runs down the inside side of my leg. Is it possible to get shin splints on that side of the bone? Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• sarahtbland
    sarahtbland Posts: 11
    Options
    From what you're describing, it's still shin splints. To be more specific, it's posteromedial shin splints.

What minimalist shoes have you been running in? I have two possible theories. First, it could be a "too much, too soon" situation where you got into minimalist shoes and ran in them too much before getting used to them. This happens often with Vibram Five Fingers. A lot of people start running 3, 4 or 5 miles in them when they should be only doing 1 or 2 and be getting used to them.

The second is that when you moved into minimalist shoes your landing changed. I noticed a huge change in my landing when I went to minimalist shoes. Honestly, I felt that it made me a completely different runner.

I don't want to tell you what to do or anything, of course! But those would be two of the ideas I would look into as to why maybe you're having this pain. Good luck!