Crockpot Chicken & Apples

Options
2FattyXFatty4
2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
I don't eat meat anymore but this one was a go-to recipe when I did. I liked a sweeter chicken so I used gala apples and spiced it up like chicken-apple sausage with fennel and sage. Yum! #TAT for Tried And True

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours, 10 minutes
Total Time: 6 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 servings
Ingredients:

6-ounce can frozen apple juice concentrate
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 c apple sauce
1-3 teaspoons curry powder
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
3 Granny Smith apples, cored and thickly sliced (or Galas if you like sweeter apples)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Preparation:
In small bowl, combine thawed apple juice concentrate, nutmeg, and curry powder.

In small microwave-safe dish, combine apple sauce, onions, and garlic. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes until onion is softened. Place mixture in bottom of 3-4 quart slow cooker.

Dip each chicken breast into the juice mixture to coat and place in crockpot over onions. Pour any remaining juice mixture over the chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours until chicken is almost cooked. Add apples and cook 40-50 minutes longer on low until apples are tender and chicken is thoroughly cooked.

Mix vinegar, broth and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir into the liquid in crockpot. Cover and cook on high heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and bubbly, 10-15 minutes. Serve with some hot cooked brown rice.

If you have a new hot crockpot, check the chicken after 4 hours on low. If the sauce doesn't get thick enough, just add more cornstarch mixed with chicken broth or apple cider vinegar.

Replies

• gpmominoh
    gpmominoh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat either, and I hate cooked apples, but I bet my kids would be in love with this recipe. I am going to make it for them.

I did make a wonderful little vegan cassoulet the other day -- not crockpot, but lots of veggies sauteed in a bit of olive oil, tomato paste, bay leave and cannelini beans. Oven for 45 minutes and it is wonderful. I bet I could turn that into a crockpot meal too.