sugar replacement

Options
hadesflame
hadesflame Posts: 95 Member
I have read that things like "Splenda" and "Stevia" decrease your metabolism and end up causing you to gain weight. I've also read that they are harder for the body to break down because they are not natural sugars. I've also had doctors tell me that they tell their pregnant patients not to ingest any kind of "fake sugar" products during their pregnancy.
Has anyone else heard anything like this? I know anything with aspartame can cause migraines (which I have experienced on my own, so I know this is true).

Replies

• angelabirkheadflight
    Options
    I've heard that about everything except stevia.

It's like Pavlov's dogs. The sweet taste causes your insulin to rise. But I read that Stevia actually helps to stabilize insulin levels, so just this week I cut out everything except stevia.

HTH
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    I have used them in moderation like in my coffee or when i make my own smoothies..and have not caused me to get hungry or give me any headaches.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yep, NOT true about Stevia. It's an herbal sweetener. Actually, I guess I should say it's partially true about Stevia simply because since it's starting to hit the market; they've been cutting it with other crap instead of using the pure form. Mostly because the FDA won't officially approve it for use as anything other than a herbal supplement so they have to add/take away certain things to be able to shelve it at local stores and get away with selling it as a food product. So, I always recommend avoiding "stevia" products such as Truvia because yes, they are no better than aspartame or Splenda.

BUT...get Stevia in it's true, herbal form, and it's fantastic! I get my a local health food/vitamin store. You'll find it with the vitamins and herbs rather than in the sugar aisle with food at those places (again it goes back to pure form can't be sold with or as a food product). It's pretty pricey at first glace but you only have to use so little of it that it goes a very, very long way. I buy a small 6 oz bottle and it's about $20 but it seriously lasts me for months and I use it in coffee every morning, with Greek yogurt, to bake with, etc. So it really does go a very long way.

It also has other super benefits to using it. One is that it improves oral health. This I've found to also be true I use to have issues with periodontis and would have to have my gums deep cleaned and "scaled" at the mere price of $1800 every 6 months along with the regular teeth cleaning. After I started using Stevia - you should see my before and after pics. This is the first time I've not had to have the stupid planing and scaling done for my family history of perio disease. It's so good for oral health, some herbal toothpastes actually put it in as an ingredient. Medical studies show it to help lower insulin and blood sugar levels better than anything else, it helps lower high blood pressure, and some other good benefits.

My hardest thing to give up in the chemical sweetener market was soda. I'm a soda junkie. But; they even make soda with stevia now instead of aspartame. HOORAY!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    This is good to know. I haven't been loosing weight lately and besides my sodium intake this could be why!
    Thanks yall!