Top 3 Tips for Dressing

Options
Elizabeth_C34
Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
What your top 3 tips for dressing well?

Mine are:

1. FIT. Always be sure your clothes fit properly (no bunching, not overly tight, not overly loose).
2. Color. Know what colors you like to wear that make YOU feel beautiful.
3. Spanx. They suck me in and keep my bulges under control. What's not to love?

Replies

• onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Mine are:

1) make sure shoes match outfit
    2) make sure eyeshadow matches outfit
    3) if wearing socks, make sure no white/light socks if wearing dark shoes.

I'm not fashion savvy.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    1. Match your hair care to your outfit; not necessarily in the do, but in how well you do it. Messy buns don't match evening gowns, and sleek hair looks bizarre in jeans. :tongue:

2. Don't dip your mascara wand to do your lower lashes; just wand over them lightly after you've done the top. The top can hold a heavier load than the lower, and upper spider lashes are easier to fix!

3. Jewelry should be an accent, not a focal point.
  • HeHealsMe
    HeHealsMe Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Mine are:
    1) Don't wear too much make up-it is meant to enhance, not as a filler or cover-up.
    2) Wear solids on places you'd like to look larger, and pattern's on area's you'd like to diminish- I have a heavier bottom than top. I wear patterned maxi skirts w/ solid layered tops.
    3) Wear and invest in good comfortable shoes. Well made shoes last longer and are structurally made better. I did not do that when I was young. Now I have bunions-ERR.

Wear a smile..it enhances all you wear.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Mine are:

1) make sure shoes match outfit
    2) make sure eyeshadow matches outfit
    3) if wearing socks, make sure no white/light socks if wearing dark shoes.

I'm not fashion savvy.

I can't tell you how much it irritates the crap out of me to see white socks with black shoes. I just want to grab their feet, rip off the socks, and scream... LOL
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    1. Perfect accessories (not too much, not too little, don't wear classy looking accessories with a hard look, don't wear colorful bangles with an elegant look, etc.)
    2. Color coordination
    3. Handbag/purses - Make sure you fit the right purse with the right outfit and if you don't have many purses, then always get a black or gray/silver one. They go with everything :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    1. If you can't walk in the shoe, don't buy the shoe. No matter how cute they are, if they cause pain, they're not worth it. (Which also doubles as dating advice if you substitute "partner" for "shoe.")

2. Black is almost impossible to wear when you have seven cats and a Pekingese. :frown:

3. When in doubt, wear red.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    1. If you can't walk in the shoe, don't buy the shoe. No matter how cute they are, if they cause pain, they're not worth it. (Which also doubles as dating advice if you substitute "partner" for "shoe.")

This is SO true for office shoes. I can't tell you how many times I've seen women come into conferences with high heels on who are visibly miserable trying to walk around all day in them. Some women can pull that off. I can't.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    1. Spanxs....got I love the woman who created them. I'd marry her if I could
    2. "feel" do I feel sexy? do I feel comfortable? I ask myself this when trying on.
    3. Fit...Not too tight, not too lose...it has to look right with the fit.
  • HeHealsMe
    HeHealsMe Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When I go to Lowe's or Home Depot w/ Hubby and see really handsome men in shorts and sandles WITH SOCKS..
    I wanna rip them off.
    The socks, that is..
  • Pancua
    Pancua Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mine are:

1) If you are going with a dramatic eye, go with a neutral lip or vice versa. Doing both makes one look almost clownish.

2) If you have a plunging neckline, don't wear a necklace that gets lost in your cleavage. What's the point?

3) Challenge yourself. Just because it may look iffy on the hangar doesn't necessarily mean it will look iffy on the body (and vice versa)
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Mine:
    1. Better too loose than too tight
    2. The outfit should have at least three colours (or three shades of the same color)
    3. If the shoes make your posture any less confident and graceful, dump the shoes.
  • yessiseguy
    yessiseguy Posts: 116
    Options
    1. If you are going to splurge do so on a great handbag.
    2. Make sure your clothes fit excellent, tailor if you need to.
    3. Be sexy and confident, never slutty :)
  • fluffygoodness
    fluffygoodness Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1.Invest in foundations- the outfit depends on good fitting undergarments.

2. MEL- Mascara, Earrings, Lipgloss-daily trifecta

3. Don't be afraid of wearing what feels right-play with colors, cuts and fabrics
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    1. Panties MUST be comfortable and must not show. I wore a very cute and uncomfortable thong to an event recently and had to go to the bathroom to take them off. OUCH.

2. When you get dressed..stand in the mirror and slouch a little. See how you are going to look when you are forgetting to suck in and stand up straight after a few martinis. I have seen women in outfits that I am sure looked great when they were modeling them at home. But who has perfect posture at all times?

3. Know how to walk in heels. If you can't walk normal then you need to downsize or practice. 6 inchers aren't for everyone. I hate to see women walking with bent knees in heels. They look like flamingos with their legs on backwards.
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    A great hair cut and the best shoes you can afford will guaranteed that you look pulled together from head to toe--literally. Black always looks slenderizing and classc.
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    WOW these are great tips.

1) good skin care, makeup on bad skin looks like makeupe on bad skin.
    2) Good fit on clothes
    3) Age approproate clothes

BTW, I only buy shoes at the end of the day. If my feet are going to swell it has happened and I will know how shoes are going to fit after a long day.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    dont wear black
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    1. Good fitting - even if it is the same size & can fit your body but the way it fits isn't good then its not for you
    2. Location - dress properly when going to church or work, casual sexy when in the streets. skimpy outfits are only reserved for beach or pool parties
    3. Color - wear something that will flatter your skin tone. In my case being brown, lighter pastel shades works best for me although I can also do well in darker shades but never those neon bright colors. Neon colors suits more for lighter skinned people.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Don't mind the numbers on the tag. If something doesn't fit right in your size, try on one larger and one smaller. Nobody else knows what the 'size' of the garment is, and sizing is all over the place any way. It's better to look good than know you're in 'size __ jeans'.

Step out of your comfort zone as often as possible. Don't be afraid of breaking fashion 'rules', and don't be afraid of what someone thinks. If you're confident in what you're wearing, and it fits and flatters, you're going to look amazing.

Take care of your hair, nails and skin. Not only is it an extension of the rest of your body (that we're all working to make the best it can be), it also boosts confidence and gives you a vibe of confidence that others pick up on too.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Oh I need these tips. Now that I feel more comfortable with how my body looks I need to think of some of these things when I buy clothes and dress myself.

Currently, I don't do much. I make sure I don't look like a hobo, make sure what I'm wearing is clean, and make sure it's not too wrinkled. No joke. What's funny is I wear makeup almost every day and take the time to make sure it looks good, but clothes have always been harder for me. I'm going shopping this weekend though so hopefully I can branch out and try on some stuff I wouldn't normally try on.