Fav healthy snack?

Options
PLV27
PLV27 Posts: 22 Member
Hello Everyone!

Well I've been struggling with the nutritional side of things lately and am finding I am just bored with the majority of my diet. So I was wondering what everyone's favorite go to snack/meal is?

When your craving something is there a go to healthy alternative that helps with your craving?

My go to food lately has been carrots and yoplait dessert selections yogurt. Nothing better than a fresh whole carrot.

Cheers!

Replies

• danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I try to mix it up with snacks too, but find i normally stick with fruits and nuts mostly. I eat every 2 or 3 hours though, so i kinda consider everythign a shack. Here are my main pairings though.

-5 triscuit crackers (or graham crackers)
    -laughing cow cheese wedge (the strawberries and cream one is good with the graham crackers)
    -kiwi or half a banana

-peice of fruit and handful of pistachios or almonds

-low fat string cheese, 17 peices of turkey pepperoni and some strawberries

-horse cookies (the recipe is here on mfp. i actually really like them and added nuts to my recipe so it's a complete balanced snack to me)

-yogurt and some pretzels or carrot sticks

even though i can't really deal with it cottage cheese seems to be a popular snack ;)

-rice cakes with peanut butter and some celery

-hard boiled egg and a handful of blueberries
  • PLV27
    Options
    Those are some great ideas! Thanks for sharing danigirl1011!
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I love greek yogurt with a piece of fruit. I use my apple wedges to dip in it. I also love rice cakes and natural peanut butter. I really want to try carrots and hummus but have not done it yet :)
  • PLV27
    Options
    Carrots and hummus are a great combo, Thanks for your suggestions!
  • PaleSpectrum
    Options
    Avocados are my favorite snack food, they are high in calories and fat but they fill you up and are loaded with vitamins and animo acids which can give you a boost in energy. I can eat them raw although most people cant- you can add one to cottage cheese or some crackers and its just as delicious!
  • PLV27
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion PaleSpectrum! I love avacados but usually with other things like mayonaise, some chopped veggies and of course tortilla chips! I'll have to try them without all those extras sometime and see how I like them.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I struggle with snacks too, as the natural thing for me when I wanted a snack was to head for the biscuit tin or the chocolate bars! I don't like fruit or nuts, though have fruit as part of my 5-a-day.

I have recently been having Rivercote wheat crispbreads (Lidl) - 4 of them are about the same number of cals as a slice of bread. I have some light Philadelphia on one,and it really fills me up. Cadbury Philadelphia is good, and two crispbreads fills better than a biscuit. Raw red or white cabbage is a great substitute for crisps and has a lovely spicy taste.

I love V8, the carrot and tomato juice drink, and add some vodka and lots of ice and it really satisfies!

Will be really interested to see some other suggestions!
  • PLV27
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas Florawanda!

Recently I discovered yoplait dessert selections yogurt, they've been really good as a snack lately. And they satisfy my sweet tooth!
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Went Tesco shopping yesterday, and they have the cadbury choc Philadelphia on sale - only 81p - I have been having it spread thinly on a crispbread, (Rivercote from Lidls are nice) and it makes a far more filling snack than a choc. digestive biscuit, for only about the same number of cals. They also had 4 tiny tubs of it, not sure if you have to eat like a pudding... will investigate!
  • rcm1973
    rcm1973 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs of Wholly Guacamole along with about 14 organic yellow corn tortilla chips. 240 Calories. You could use baby carrots or other veggies instead of the chips to make it lower calorie.