Fashion for Beginners

Options
Jorra
Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
I'll be honest. I know about as much about fashion as I do about calculus. I know some of the terminology, but I have no idea what to do with it. I still default to jeans and t-shirt most days of the week. When I volunteer or work in the schools, I obviously have to be a little nicer.

Here's my usual:
2012-03-14101957.jpg
Here's when I'm trying:
2012-03-14200946.jpg

I'll take any advice you ladies have. I'm on a strict budget right now, but I will be trying to build a professional wardrobe over the next year. Any other beginners are welcome to join in.

Replies

• onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, I need help too!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about trying out some tailored collar tops like these:

AAAADMGN6_wAAAAAAcjuDw.jpg?v=1331649576000

JCPenney has them for $17 each, and you can get a variety of colors (3-4 would be a good start) and an assortment of belts, jackets, and slacks that would be a nice versatile and modern wardrobe for work. You can dress them up with nice jewlery or dress it down with simple stud earrings or a pendant necklace. I have 8 of these in my closet, and I love them.

Example:

Work-appropriate but still simple and pretty:

AAAACxPv1zYAAAAAAG0z_g.jpg?v=1251687596000

Dressier:

OCT_Out04?$ensemble_main$&wid=290&hei=377

They fit very well. They have a kind of stretchy fabric that hugs the body well and moves with you so they don't bunch up.

The key to doing nice professional wardrobe on a budget is a mix-and-match type of system where you only have maybe 3 or 4 bottoms and 4-5 tops that you can interchange.
  • Jorra
    Options
    I bought some of those the last time I tried to build a wardrobe. They are all about three sizes too big now, but I do like them. They shouldn't be too hard to find at thrift stores as well. That's where I usually buy my clothes.

I don't usually wear jewelry, but I should start. I have a bunch of my mom's old stuff somewhere.

Here's an example of my old stuff: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Jorra/view/don-t-you-just-hate-it-when-124091
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I bought some of those the last time I tried to build a wardrobe. They are all about three sizes too big now, but I do like them. They shouldn't be too hard to find at thrift stores as well. That's where I usually buy my clothes.

I don't usually wear jewelry, but I should start. I have a bunch of my mom's old stuff somewhere.

Here's an example of my old stuff: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Jorra/view/don-t-you-just-hate-it-when-124091

Yeah, those vests are not doing you any good with those sexy curves showing now. Toss 'em. They make you look about 20 lbs heavier than you are, and you've earned the right to look your size hon. :smile:

Goodwill had a bunch of fashion jewelry on sale last time I went. A few longer necklaces (42" chain or so) would really be nice to dress up those tops a bit also.
  • Jorra
    Options
    I honestly don't know where that shirt is now. Funny. My old clothes are scattered between so many places after all the moves, but none fit anyway. I have to completely start over. I have never been this small before.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I honestly don't know where that shirt is now. Funny. My old clothes are scattered between so many places after all the moves, but none fit anyway. I have to completely start over. I have never been this small before.

You have a REALLY nice figure for wearing business-attire. Not all women have that. You've got a small waist and a nicely distributed top and bottom. You're very proportional, so I think if you went with 1 skirt (knee length) and 2 pair of pants (one black and one tan or brown) and 5 tops, you'd be set for the work week.

Also, I think you'd do well with a v-neck style top to help visually balance your top with your bottom. This is a problem I have (big boobs, small waist, big hips), and the v-neck is awesome. Cowl neck with a belt is good too.
  • Jorra
    Options
    I don't think anyone has ever called me proportional before. I don't feel that way, but if that's how it looks, I'll take it! I am set in the black pants category, just need to build the top and shoes collections.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I don't think anyone has ever called me proportional before. I don't feel that way, but if that's how it looks, I'll take it! I am set in the black pants category, just need to build the top and shoes collections.

I'd go with two of the collared tops we talked about (one white, one maybe a coral color or something nice and slightly off-neutral). 1 skirt. 1 v-neck top. 1 print top like the one below with a V or cowl neck. As for shoes, go for a black leather. If you plan on buying brown slacks, you should get a tan or brown shoe as well. These will go with anything. I LOVE Clarks shoes. They are great for work and super comfy, but unfortunately not cheap. You may be able to find some slightly worn ones on eBay or at a consignment shop though.

0900631b81e85bbeM.tif?op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp&icc=A98&wid=350&hei=350

EDIT: You most definitely ARE proportional dear:

2011-07-12125557.jpg
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Wrap dresses flatter any figure.

They give you the illusion of an hourglass whether or not you really have one.

Always fit clothes to the larges part of you and take in the other parts if necessary.

If you wear a belt with a dress, make sure it sits at the smallest part of your waist - for some women, this is directly under their busts; for others, it is on their natural waistline. Whatever it is, draw attention to that part of you.

Find colors that suit your complexion. I can't wear light pink. Period. Even though I want to look like Barbie.

Never wear pleated pants. Ever.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Wrap dresses flatter any figure.

They give you the illusion of an hourglass whether or not you really have one.

Always fit clothes to the larges part of you and take in the other parts if necessary.

If you wear a belt with a dress, make sure it sits at the smallest part of your waist - for some women, this is directly under their busts; for others, it is on their natural waistline. Whatever it is, draw attention to that part of you.

Find colors that suit your complexion. I can't wear light pink. Period. Even though I want to look like Barbie.

Never wear pleated pants. Ever.

Great tips Cory!

I can't wear yellow. It's the only color I look absolutely stupid in.
  • CoryIda
    Options

Great tips Cory!

I might hate shopping, but I do love to dress up.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Great tips Cory!

I might hate shopping, but I do love to dress up.

Shopping is more fun now that I know what I'm looking for and not just wandering aimlessly. Also, handbags don't need to be sized, therefore they are awesome. (hence the Coach addiction I've come down with lately)
  • Jorra
    Options
    What colors would you suggest for me? The majority of my wardrobe is black and red. I'd like to expand that because, although those look good on me, they were my high school colors and I sometimes feel like I'm in gym class when I'm dressed up.

I just checked my closet and it appears I have no jewelry at school at besides my mom's bracelet (which I don't wear too often for obvious reasons).
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    What colors would you suggest for me? The majority of my wardrobe is black and red. I'd like to expand that because, although those look good on me, they were my high school colors and I sometimes feel like I'm in gym class when I'm dressed up.

Coral is a really good color on most people. Blues are great too. Grey is good. Colors like pink, yellow, and orange may or may not work depending on your skin tone, so avoid those at first.

As for the jewelry, you can do a simple silver and gold chain to start with or maybe some faux pearls. Goodwill has lots of jewelry. I love pins and broaches too, like women in the 40's wore a lot. You can really dress up an outfit with a nice broach.
  • CoryIda
    Options

I just checked my closet and it appears I have no jewelry at school at besides my mom's bracelet (which I don't wear too often for obvious reasons).
    Teal/turquoise/vibrant shades of blue and/or green if you want to stand out.

Deep green or dark bluish purple would look great on you.

With your skin tone, avoid most oranges.

Don't go for huge patterns.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Definitely more fitted would be good. Maybe some more feminine flowy tops (this is something I'm working on too). Check out Kohls or JC Penny for some lower budget stuff. These days I do a lot of short sleeved sweaters over tank tops. Get some nice round or pointy toed shoes (Payless?).
  • hnfizer
    hnfizer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Clothes often say who we are or even who we wanna be. Its hard to give advice without an idea of your personality or who you wanna be. As a Fashion Design student when Im working on projects for others I first try and figure out these 2 things before I start sketching.

Ok so if you could choose one lets say celebrity out there based on their style who would it be and why?
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hey nice hourglass!

I think that shirts can make hourglasses look bulkier than they are - so cinch around that lovely waist - your shirt does that already with the little tie. If you get others I would try a belt over it. Otherwise more in favour of drapey tops for this type of shape - a shape I have experience of when I am a little thinner - plus a neckline that divides up the top into boobs, shoulders etc if its all of a piece it can look bulky again. Try out some v-necks but also square necklines, cowly ones that dip enough.

Err...feel I am not really arty enough to comment well. In the UK some shops have a pretty good personal shopper service that you can re-coup against purchases. I think this is really good when your body changes as a way of understanding how to dress yourself again.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Gosh - just had a peek through your photos - can I just say amazing work!! But with those boobs and that waist you need to show how neat that is! An unfitted shirt or T just covers up the whole area into one zone.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some awesome advice here already!! The best way to dress up super-simple office pieces is with jewelery. Costume stuff at the thrift is so cheap, and you can buy it and play with it and not worry about breaking the bank if you only wear it a few times.