anyone with alternitive pets?

Options
Hi! I have a little zoo in my home, keeping up with the cleaning, feeding, and loving is a work out.

We have 4 free-roam house rabbits, 2 cats, 2 gerbils, 8 zebra finches, 2 box turtles, and a tropical fish tank. All the kids were rescues.

The rabbits are great help to my exercise plan. They love going to the park in their stroller. We have a double-decker pet stroller so all four can go at once. If it has been more than a couple days, Ghirardelli will start rattling the door to tell me he wants to go.

Anyone else with pets other than cats and dogs? Do they help you in your fitness quest?

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Not now apart from a guinea pig but have had a pet goose, a pet goat, tortoises, budgies, rabbits, chinchillas, gerbils, hamsters, rats and probably a few others along my life (most were as a child)

The goose would probably be the one that kept me the fittest, she HATED me and would chase me round and round the garden until my mum rescued me. I was about 15 but she would literally fly at me hissing and her jabbing peck left me covered in bright blue bruises if i wasnt quick enough.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    We have an African Gray parrot and a 90 gallon fish tank. In the past we've had hamsters, gerbils, bearded dragons, flying squirrel, sugar gliders, tortoises....
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My mom has a bearded dragon. He is so cool!
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    That is so cool, I'll bet the rabbits love getting out and about! I've never heard of a stroller for rabbits--- you should take a picture! I can imagine you would get some funny looks from people.

In addition to my 2 dogs, I have gerbils. The one gerbil likes to bite and my exercise includes swearing at him when he bites me (not really!)
  • MiniLopHop
    Options
    That's great that there are so many unique animals here :smile:

The stroller is from amazon and it's advertised more towards dogs or even cats, but it works well for rabbits. I like that there is enough room for all four to go at the same time. I can't play favorites.

Lets hope this works:
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h409/MiniLopHop/123.jpg

Edit: sorry, it looks like you have to go to my photobucket account if you want to see pictures.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    123.jpg

There ya go :) I had to see it for myself!
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    4 turkeys, several bantum chickens, a Spoiled Grey squirrel that begs for food at my kitchen window, Rabbits... (a lot of them)... 2 dogs, 1 stray cat that is coming around to the "domestic" side, and anybody else that needs a home. Recently lost my horse (28 yrs old) and lab mix ... both loyal friends for over 12 yrs.

We have had a pet skunk and various others have passed through on their life journeys. :flowerforyou:
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    As well as two cats, we also live with two ferrets and two tortoises (can anyone say noah's ark?). The ferrets are a lot of fun.
  • missrat
    missrat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have 24 pet rats and one Syrian Hamster.

The only exercise they give me is cage-cleaning - and some horrendous journeys to shows by public transport, but they do give comfort and might help prevent emotional eating.

11-10copy_339x480.jpg

ReepiSheep - a pearl rex
    P2180062_640x480.jpg

Contrary to their popular image, fancy rats are very clean, very sociable, very intelligent - and gorgeous! I'm hoping to start show judge training soon. I've done two unofficial stewarding sessions and listened to two very different judges explaining the reasons for their marks.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I have a degu......they are suppose to live in pairs, but his brother died about a year and a half ago....he got depressed like we figured he would, and I had to force feed him for almost a month, but since then he has been fine....

Before him, I only ever had cats, and I must say, I never thought I could get attached to a little rodent like I am.....esp since he has been alone, he is VERY social and cuddly, he LOVES to lay down and snuggle with me at night when I am watching TV....
  • jelanahbeth
    Options
    we have dog, 4 cats (3 are my daughters), rabbit, rat, ferret, fish, chickens
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Not yet but I will be adding a tortoise soon. Most likely a Russian.
  • jewelsbehm
    jewelsbehm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've got a darling bunny named Hopper that I rescued last year. I'm allergic to cats and dogs, but to my great joy and surprise, I'm not allergic to bunnies. :) She's my spoiled little diva! Almost forgot, that's her in my profile picture.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    In addition to my "traditional" pets (2 tuxedo cats), I have a lionhead rabbit, a gecko, 2 redfoot tortoises, and tons of dart frogs. The dart frogs are my husband's hobby, I don't take care of them because they strike me as kinda fragile and I do NOT want to be the one responsible for accidentally killing the animals.

My torts are my newest additions, I love them. They are so tiny, I get such a kick out of watching them "run" in the lawn and eat clover. I love all my animals though. sometimes more than people....:-)
  • jewelsbehm
    jewelsbehm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    LOL, there are many days I prefer my bunny's company to that of other people. :)
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I have a dog (Labrador) and cat (Siamese), but my newest furkid arrives this week. He is the furless kind - a baby Ball Python. I work with reptiles, but this will by my first reptile pet! Very excited...
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am owned by 4 cats, Gandalf, Sherlock, Zeva, Brown Sugar,,, Murphy Brown, 21 year oldWhite capped pionus parrot and Rebel a 22 year old African Grey parrot. Have had dogs, turtles, and mice , in the past. Its been a trip and one I would not have missed for the world. :)
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have two musk turtles. They're awesome! My mum has two hermann's tortoises and one horsefield tortoise. As well as the usual cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, rats, etc over the years.

I also volunteer in a rescue centre and get to handle all manner of weird and wonderful animals like alpacas, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, and wild animals like hedgehogs :love:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot my froggies too! 10 african dwarf frogs, 4 harlequin fish, 3 amano shrimp and 3 zebra snails, sorry little ones! How could I forget you?! :noway:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have a mini pig! She's 10 months old, and weighs about 8 pounds. She has free run of the house, but she mostly flops on a heating pad all day. She HATES being cold.

544578_10151551816079879_698694986_n_zps4c96597a.jpg

62167_10151519286519879_560562238_n_zps22684d94.jpg
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Only have two dogs (and two children) now, but in the past have had a whole litany of alternative animals: hamster, turtle, fish, frogs, and a couple of snakes (a ball python and a Red-Tailed Boa). Now, my kids have decided they want a Sugar Glider, after seeing them at a Pet Expo this past weekend. Shoot me!!! :noway: