What do you do when you're glutened?

Options
kaetmarie
kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
So I was diagnosed in December and have completely cut gluten out of my diet, because -- well it sucks if I don't. I've only had gluten (by accident) a handful of times since the diagnosis, but yesterday was one of those days. We had people over for a dinner party and someone brought a potato dish that she said was GF and told me the ingredients. I immediately got sick after eating it and asked if there was anything else in it, and she's like -- well flour, of course flour! -- *facepalm*

What I was wondering though, is what do you do when you get glutened? I'm soooo uncomfortable and miserable. I've eaten a banana and taken pepto (per recommendation of a friend), but I was just wondering if anyone else had any tricks or tips that might help in the meantime. Before I just kind of rode it out, but it can't hurt to ask ... right!?!

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I try and take some antihistamines but usually end up having to take to bed with a hot water bottle and painkillers. Hope it passes - don't take anything for diarrhoea as this will keep the gluten in your body. Some people swear using laxatives to try and clear your system out ( I've never tried it as I'm in that much pain I dont want to make it worse.)

Drink plenty and get as much rest as possible.
  • lej0213
    lej0213 Posts: 10
    Options
    Sadly, I have only found that riding it out and drinking lots of water works. I wish there was something to take! For some reason whenever I get "glutened" it always seems to hit me at 3am and then I have what I call a gluten hangover the next day.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I ride it out, and drink lots of water.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Oh so sorry.. some people are just clueless. I don't eat cause it makes it worse.. just liquids for a day or so- until I stop feeling like I am going to puke and the rumbling in my stomach goes away... lots of carbonated water or serria mis, water. coffee etc and rest Hope you feel better soon.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Gluten makes me throw up, that generally helped but I wouldn't suggest forcing it.

I like to use a heating pack. I pick a movie/series I love and settle as much as possible into bed with that and tea. I always keep some GF chicken noodle soup in the freezer (so easy to make on a lazy Saturday) and I get that out for the next day. Lots of advil/excedrine to combat joint pain and migraines. I have no luck with pepto or other things for the stomach issues.

I also forbid human interaction for a day or two as glutenings makes me obscenely irritable.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    antihistamines for the win
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'll be needed this advice. We are so careful in this house and check everything ( but even cross contamination can make me ill) but something has had a trace of gluten in. We had two new things yesterday although nothing on the ingredients but I know its gluten as bad stomach, ache , skin problems and now have the chills.

I dont feel as shattered as normal but i think the last few months have been so strict - don't eat out or order in and make most stuff from scratch. Going to take it easy the next few days.