May HOrse Challenge WEEK 2

Options
lkellandmay
lkellandmay Posts: 121 Member
Here is to everyone who posted:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Thank you for keeping up with the posts and letting us all know what you have been up to.

Do you record your riding time as exercise/calories burned in your exercise log?
I Do! and I use - cleaning vigourous effort - for the stall mucking! If you muck stalls what do you use?

This is WEEK 2!
What are you doing this week (with your horse) to take your riding 'up a notch'?

I challenge everyone to post their intentions this week.
This week I intend to <b> Ride every day </b>
To help me get there I have asked a friend to come and ride with me. So... now I have to!

In addition I have fallen off the wagon with my eating and I will, this week, get back on track.
My 5 horse related items to do today are:
1. write a thank you note to show organizer - i judged this weekend and as a rule I write a thank you note to them.
2.RIDE!!
3. Clean stalls - ugh
4. set up jumps
5.pull mane - or at least clean up manes - i am not a big believer in mane pulling!

What are you up to today?

Replies

• newlifecowgirl
    Options
    Well we are supposed to have nice weather this week! So as soon as my new saddle comes in I will be riding everyday I can!
    My goal is to ride at least 3x this week, plus go to steer roping on Friday with both my horses.
    I am going to try to spend an hour a day picking rocks out of my arena and pasture ( well on the nice days at least!)

I too fell off the wagon these past few days but back on today, last time I weighed in I had 16 LBS to go to my halfway point! which is when I am going to swing a leg over my 3 yr old!
  • ruralgirl
    ruralgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi! Wwell today was a bank holiday in the UK so we had a day out with the children and some friends at a country house - it did involve looking at and seeing some huge percherons being harnessed up and looking round an old carriage collection but that was about the limit of the horsiness - also involved eating too much ice cream:-(

This week is a write off horse wise for me until my lesson on Friday cause Im in the office and all over the place the next 3 days with early starts and late finishes:-( BUT we then have a ride on Sat followed by our big ride on Exmoor next Sunday so Ill be trying to get DH to take his out through the week so he's not too mad (Billy not DH lol) and also must must must try and groom the pony & the foal one evening after the kids have dgone to bed. Get back on track with treadmill & eating. Today the horses are having a well earned rest:-)

Catch u all later in the week. RG x
  • jastexas
    jastexas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am new to this group. I have three Polish Arabians; two of which I recently got and are unbroke and the other is my main endurance partner.

This week I intend to have three round pen sessions with both of the unbroke geldings. I also have planned a 24 mile ride Saturday on, Natachka, my mare.

Other horsey related goals - strips stalls and mow the weeds in the pasture.

My "human" goal is to log into MFP each day.

Thanks all! :smile:
  • lkellandmay
    Options
    Thank you all for posting. This is great- we are developing a great group of horse related and fitness/weightness goals.

Summary -
    Jastexas
    - 3 round pen sessions
    - 24 mile ride
    - strip stalls
    - mow weeds

RuralGirl- well done and I bet you enjoyed your icecream with your family. Lots of walking and time spent enjoying your loved ones is important.
    - lesson friday
    - ride Sat - ( Followed by Exmoor ride next week - oh how I would L O V E to do that - it sounds so romantic <sigh> )
    - groom pony and foal.
    - treadmill and eating (more treadmill and less eating right?)

Newlifecowgirl - doing a sun dance for you.
    - ride 3 times this week
    - steer roping friday
    - 1 hour per day picking rocks
    - get back into the swing of exercise and diet.

Lkellandmay
    -ride 4 times this week
    - pull manes (or make them look like they have been pulled as I don;t like pulling)
    - get jumps out side
    - clean stalls
    - weigh in and check in daily
    - record food consumption
    - complete exercise dvd (jillian micheals)
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,228 Member
    Options
    This is great! I was away for a week, but will jump in now.

Yesterday, I worked both my boys, and discovered that my QH is awesome in the round pen. I have lunged him for years, but never had access to a round pen before. He's amazing!

My main goal for this month is to ride the youngster (Appy) 4 days a week, getting him going on an introduction to dressage. He has been ridden mostly Western for his first year under saddle, but I want to get him more supple, use his big energy, and round him up.

My QH is being used some by another person, so he is going well, but I want to work him at least a couple of times a week, so I'll be busy!

Hopefully this will get off the ground. I have been haphazard about riding, but now my daughter is gone for the summer and all the work comes down to me! Keep me going with riding boots to the rear, ok?
  • salsa81
    salsa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Not done anything this week BUT, will ride Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

It's my Avon week this week and I would normally ride on a Thursday night but I've got to get my brochures out so I can't even fit in a groom tomorrow :(

So a nice ride both days of the weekend is in order.
  • lkellandmay
    Options
    WEEK 2 DAY 3

Yesterday it was raining here and didn't ride.
    My goal is:
    - ride 4 times this week - I have ridden 2 times so far

- not done yet - pull manes (or make them look like they have been pulled as I don;t like pulling) - not done yet
    - not done yet - get jumps out side
    - done for today - clean stalls
    - done for today - weigh in and check in daily
    - so far done for today - record food consumption

Increase water consumption

How are you doing on your goals?
    ~Laura
    - complete exercise dvd (jillian micheals)
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Well still raining here in Blighty so again havent ridden at all yet.... My boys are now on new grass and are very stuffed and I'm very popular :smile:

They'll be coming in tonight as its really going to come down and tomorrow I'm taking them to Mums to have their shoes changed so I may be able to ride Edward there as she has a little school area and I dont have anything....

Just want this weather to change to I can get some early morning hacks in...
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,228 Member
    Options
    OK! Today I worked BOTH horses and feel a bit sore but good. Worked on lead changes with Moonie, as well as general stuff, and then worked with Jack Jack (the ADD baby!) to get him more regular, leg yields, lots of circles, canter departures, and PAYING ATTENTION. There were two ponies outside the arena that were much more interesting than they should have been...

Tomorrow I can't go ride, but will get there Friday and try to work both again. It's a lot, but sure feels good.

Hope you're all doing great!
  • ruralgirl
    Options
    Hi Guys

Things arnt going that well this week Ive been really tired and its WTOTM so no energy so did no excersise at all on Monday (other than walking about the country house) or Tuesday and didn't stick to my calories. Was in work by 8am yesterday and missed keep fit early evening so made myself get in 35 mins of more gentle treadmill BUT then I went to housegroup later on and ate lots of bad stuff cause they insist on having nibbles out. I have NO willpower!

On a more positive note I am working at home till lunchtime today so DH will be able to get Billy out for a short ride this morning. I have a lesson booked for tomorrow then riding sat with a friend and big Exmoor ride on Sunday. I have a vet friend who rides DH's pony Billy so we caught up a bit last night and agreed to share some jumping lessons and try and make time to do some very simple dressage tests at shows etc.

Ill try and post som pics but dont know how...
    RG x

PS foal & pony havent had a look in as its been raining AGAIN!! Supposed to be nice next few days tho ...
  • ruralgirl
    Options
    I am replying to myself...oh dear! Had my lesson - not that pleased with it really. Leg yeilds not going well and can only get canter on the right leg on one rein. I wish I had a school to practise in between lessons.

Hack tomorrow but now a ? over the Exmoor ride on Sun because lorries arn't allowd on the field because of the wet ground so we have to park up somewhere else.....hmm my friend has done a recce today so we'll see - I dont fancy tacking up beside the road:-(
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    Ok so shoes didnt happen..... Got the box over, got Edward loaded then the partition pin came out, so had to cancel... :angry:

Rebooked for this Thursday so fingers crossed it'll all go well... Thank goodness I have an understanding farrier...

Yesterday was bbbeeeaaaayyooottiifffuull!!! :love: and there was a football (soccer for you over the pond) match on so rather than listen to himself swearing at the TV I spent a lovely 2 hours grooming and picking feet out and general pampering..

I was bright red when I finished and still spitting out grey fur :laugh: Good arm workout though :wink:

And today its raining ..... again... Oh well summer will here sometime.....

I dont record activity, but my fitbit does :smile:
  • jastexas
    jastexas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't do too great on my goals. It rained here, which was great, but that messed up my round pen sessions.

I did go for an 18 mile ride on Saturday, so that was great. I always forget to log my food on the weekend. This week I have planned riding both days. I just got to work in chores and working with my new boys in the evenings! Something is better than nothing. :)
  • newlifecowgirl
    Options
    It has FINALLY stopped raining here WOOHOO!

At the same time my mare has come up lame again, so we made the decision to permanently retire her to broodmare only, took her to get bred and she will go back out on 40 acres of pasture.
    I did get to ride friday at steer roping, my trainer brought his horse :) so almost 2 hours of tracking the Hot Heels.
    Been picking rocks everyday that it hasn't rained :)
    And Friday I finally got "back on the wagon" as my hubby puts it, for diet and excercise.
  • salsa81
    Options
    I know there isn't a week 3 thread yet BUT....plan is this week:

Ride Thursday - 30 mins (maybe 40)

Saturday - quick groom (10 mins) and ride, about 40 mins

Sunday - long groom plus ride - 40 to 50 minutes.

Fingers crossed the weather holds and we get none of that nasty white stuff that has been forecasted in various places and not so far from us.
  • greenacrestkd5
    Options
    I ordered a new saddle - so excited!! Circle Y beautiful!! :-) I ride both western and english.
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    The sun is OUT :love: I'm at WORK :grumble:

My boys are Nekkid!!! :laugh:

Just been out and stocked up on horse/dog/cat food for when me and him are away next week for a few days.. Cannot believe how much I've spent! Bought Edward a face mask to protect him for sun and flies .... Wishful thinking on the sun part but heres hoping!
  • ruralgirl
    Options
    I guess we are in week 3 now but hey ho. Not sure which day this is but Thursday 17th anyway. Have been off excersise all week due to bad knee - was getting bad last week in the l;esson and then hurt alot on my ride last sat but I was determined to go on my 22k Exmoor ride on Sunday and that just about finished me off! I was so pleased with Chloe tho she did very well, unfortunately DGH & his horse didnt do so well and hadto retire but we finished in 2h 45 so I was pleased with that as you have to be under 3 hours if you want to do it compatatively:-)

Anyway I have groomed the pony & the foal (well nearly 2 yo actually) twice this week! My friend took Chloe for a lesson today so she didnt miss out. Ive got osteopath tomorrow and then might try a slow ride on Sunday!!

Enjoy the weekend all of you RG xx
  • salsa81
    Options
    WOOHOOO FINALLY GOT A RIDE IN TODAY!:happy:

It was only a quick ride round the local village but hey, a ride is a ride right?

Planning a loooong one on Sunday plus one on Saturday too.

Tractors were today's scary thing, eventhough we've walked passed it a hundred times....apart from that Shy was very happy to be out and best of all we had company for the first time in ages
  • ruralgirl
    Options
    Hey that sounds great Salsa - I am getting withdrawel symptoms but I think the Osteopath fixed my knee so I have a long one planned for Sunday :-) Dont ya just love tractors;-)