Post exercise cramps

nicnactoo
nicnactoo Posts: 29 Member
Hello everyone

I've had ibs for about 15 years, but it was only medically confirmed about 8 years ago. I'm having a particularly bad flare up right now that's been going on for a month or two. Last week I had to take 2 days off work as I was in such severe pain.

The worst time is post (and sometimes during) exercise. Accepted wisdom is that exercise is supposed to help IBS but I'm finding that any amount of exercise is giving me really painful abdominal cramps and more often than not making me run for the loo.

Today I have done 40 mins in the treadmill, not a huge amount, with about 25 min running and 15 min walking uphill, so nothing too strenuous really. Right now I'm sitting at my desk, having just got back from the gym, wondering if I can make it through the rest of this afternoon.

Does anyone else get this and can anyone offer any tips or advice?

My husband thinks I should stop going to the gym for a bit, but I'm loathe to do that. I've never really identified any trigger foods - sometimes I can eat things fine, other times I suffer, so there's no consistency which allows me to eliminate certain things.

Thanks for reading.
:-)

Replies

• teachfl2
    teachfl2 Posts: 95 Member
    Hi there!

I notice that when I am finished exercising I often get very bloated. Not sure why. I think that exercising can definitely have an impact on IBS, whether in a positive way or a negative way. Sometimes exercising does help to release some build up in our bodies, so it can also help with constipation. I bet if you researched some of this online, you would find that it is very common!
  • meghan0387
    meghan0387 Posts: 2 Member
    I have the same problem at times. It could be a combination of foods you're eating that day or high-impact exercises. I typically consider running to be high-impact. I find that by sticking to lower-impact exercises like walking (a stroll or brisk pace), yoga, Pilates, and biking, it helps to minimize the cramping. Although I usually always feel some sort of cramp despite the exercise.