Liquid diet woes

Options
Hey there. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get through the liquid diet? I am having surgery Monday and feel like a loser because I can't get through more than one day without cheating a little. I have snuck pickles, olives, & mushrooms with my cottage cheese. Ack! Today I have had no extras and I'm struggling. A tips would be great! Thanks. P.S. tried chewing gum without any benefit. It's the chewing something that seems to be the problem. I just want to crunch something. Ice wasn't that helpful either. :(

Replies

• sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It's not easy but it is something that we just have to get through. Try to keep your eye on the prize - short term pain for long term gain. Good luck
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    I am so lucky. I did not have a liquid diet prior to surgery. I don't know why some surgeons require it and others dont. Keep busy and drink lots of water, Monday will be here in no time!

Good Luck!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The liquid diet is to reduce the size of your liver before surgery because it has to be moved. I bought a new book from my surgeon's office last night and it described dealing with an enlarged liver as trying to move a blob of jelly (jello) with chopsticks!

It also said that the worst part of the liquid diet is about day three and four but then your body adjusts to the changes. It also recommended eating some low calorie foods during the liquid diet if you really need to have that sensation of eating. Can't remember exact suggestions because I only skimmed that section.

Good luck for Monday
  • Janeen41
    Janeen41 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts! I did end up eating mushrooms, olives & pickles. Obviously not all at the same time but I did have a few with certain meals. I was hoping that this wouldnt totally ruin my diet but I still lost 7 lbs. and it really helped me with the feeling of actually chewing something. I thought getting off the soda was going to be the worst thing, but that was a breeze compared to the wanting to chew something. Can't wait to post about a skinnier me in the months to come,
  • rhondadwyer69
    rhondadwyer69 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! I am one week away from my surgery date. I've been on the Optifast 800 Protein Shake diet for 3 weeks. It has not been easy at all - I just keep telling myself it will end and I do want my surgery on time. Also, the reason for the liquid diet IS to reduce the size of the liver. Good Luck!