Disney Food

Options
andrea464
andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
Disney food is a BIG part of our Disney trip. To top it off, we'll be there during the Food and Wine Festival.

Any tips for keeping it healthy (although let me tell you- I do plan on indulging- a lot)?

Replies

• supermodestmouse
    Options
    I can only speak about Disneyland, but I try to avoid the things you know aren't good for you (hot dogs, burgers, fries) and stick to things that actually look like normal food. At Disneyland, my friends think I'm nuts for continuing to eat their fried chicken. Granted it's fried, but I pull all the skin off and just eat the meat. It's probably the best thing next to a salad you can get.

They do have some mediteranean food too (at California Adventure) which is grilled so you may want to look into that too. However, the rice has butter in it but the meat itself is pretty good ^^
  • teapot35
    teapot35 Posts: 28
    Options
    Don't forget, many of the calories you consume will be offset by the trmendous amount of walking you will be doing!!!

Once I have my dining reservations in, I plan on going over all the menus with a fine-toothed comb and figuring some of it out before we go.
  • larchuletta
    larchuletta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, many of the calories you consume will be offset by the trmendous amount of walking you will be doing!!!

Once I have my dining reservations in, I plan on going over all the menus with a fine-toothed comb and figuring some of it out before we go.

That is a great idea! I think I will do the same.
  • Startraveller
    Options
    Stick to the real food and avoid snacking. That should keep the calorie count down. And yes, there's so much walking that you will be burning extra calories all day. But remember that you are on vacation so enjoy a little bit. Perhaps give yourself one snack or treat per day just to help it feel like you are cheating but its under control.
  • AngelDog1
    AngelDog1 Posts: 89
    Options
    As far as I know, you can take in your own food/drinks (just double check that the rules haven't changed before you go). Hubby and I usually carry a Camel water pack since we go in the summer time and that helps to keep us hydrated instead of sucking down sodas all day. We also take simple, quick snacks that we can shove in our packs such as animal crackers, beef jerky, trail mix. Something sweet and something else salty but definitely nothing that will get crushed to a million pieces. We make sure to eat a sensible meal before we leave for the day so we have enough energy for all the fun. Even on the slowest/shortest day, I've tracked over 7.0 miles on my pedometer. That's a lot of calorie burning! And if we decide to eat out, we try to grab the lunch meals instead of the dinner meals. Hope that help!
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, you can take in your own food/drinks (just double check that the rules haven't changed before you go). Hubby and I usually carry a Camel water pack since we go in the summer time and that helps to keep us hydrated instead of sucking down sodas all day. We also take simple, quick snacks that we can shove in our packs such as animal crackers, beef jerky, trail mix. Something sweet and something else salty but definitely nothing that will get crushed to a million pieces. We make sure to eat a sensible meal before we leave for the day so we have enough energy for all the fun. Even on the slowest/shortest day, I've tracked over 7.0 miles on my pedometer. That's a lot of calorie burning! And if we decide to eat out, we try to grab the lunch meals instead of the dinner meals. Hope that help!

We did that last time. We used our resort mug in the morning and got diet soda (I need at least one drink with caffiene in the am) and with our breakfast we'd get bottled water to take into the parks! Wearing a pedometer is a great idea! I feel like we cheated by taking the train and stuff around, but the blisters on my feet didn't lie!
  • Startraveller
    Options
    Water is a good way to stay hydrated and avoid the soft drinks. When you are thirsty, and hungry, its easy to grab a large cup full of cola. Last time we went down, I brought carrot sticks and trail mix, which was a little higher in calories but healthy with nuts and dried fruits. The kids weren't keen on it, but they aren't 35 pounds overweight. My husband and I found it helpful and we avoided the snacky foods between our regular meals.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water! If you have your dinning planned look at the menu before going. Disney offers lots of fresh fruit.
  • lizzybeth5983
    lizzybeth5983 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Go to the Disney food blog. This will help you decide what you would like to eat and where. I have also purchased her book and there are quite a few options on there to eat healthy. I personally will be eating what I want just in moderation along with a good cardio session every day.
  • paendrag
    paendrag Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When we go to Disney, I always start out trying to eat healthy, but by the third day I am so caught up in just enjoying EVERYTHING that I stop worrying about it. It will probably be worse this time since it will be my first Disney trip under 300lb (hopefully; I still have a few more lbs to burn off).

And yeah, you can take food and drinks into the park. We would normally pack a cooler with our lunch time meal (sandwhiches, etc.). Instead of carrying the cooler throught the park, I would rent one of the bigger lockers for about $7 and put the cooler in there. We would also put our resort mugs in the locker too. Then whenever we felt like eating lunch, we would find a nice place out of the way and one of us would go back and get the cooler. A great thing about renting the locker: if you leave for another park during the same day, just show your receipt at the other park and you dont have to pay for another locker.

Oh, and the kids always hated drinking nothing but water all day, so I started bringing those 1 serving KoolAid packs that they could just pour into their bottles when they refilled them at the water fountains.