May Challenge?

Options
So I was browsing others' groups for a May challenge. I am late to the party!!!

I think we could do one here - you can pick your own goal??

Ideas: Lose 5 pounds, exercise 5 times/week, eat 5 fruits & vegetables per day.

I'd like to do all of the above... but need to keep it realistic too.

Any takers?

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Drop 4 pounds.

Do my strength training 3 days per week.
  • Baydale
    Baydale Posts: 22
    Options
    I want to lose a bit from my thighs, doesn't matter how much.
    Lose 3 pounds which would take me to a stone gone :)
  • cannie55
    cannie55 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lost 4.5 pounds- probably a little ambitious, graduation is coming up and I bet there will be several days of good food!

Be diligent about doing my physical therapy & follow directions- i.e. , be patient, don't start running until I get the okay

Make progress on my half marathon training- sadly... this isn't really in my control, I'm trying to be patient and let a foot injury heal
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am going to do my sit up every day and go to the gym. School is out and I have access to a free gym. I NEED to use it.

get after me girls, I am serious.
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin' on in the C25K program.

Lose 5lb.

RIDE!
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My May Challenge is:

1. Eat Paleo for the month
    2. Eat more Protein
    3. Walk 40 miles

That's it, :) J
  • Baydale
    Options
    Update - Well, those 3 pounds disappeared a lot faster than I expected! Now I just have to wait for the day my massive thighs decide to leave me :)
  • onawho
    Options
    Update - Well, those 3 pounds disappeared a lot faster than I expected! Now I just have to wait for the day my massive thighs decide to leave me :)

SUPER!!!!!!
  • Baydale
    Options
    SUPER!!!!!!
    Thank you :bigsmile:
  • MinervaTK
    MinervaTK Posts: 20
    Options
    I just joined so I'm a little late to the May Challenge. But my goals are:
    -- To stay on track with eating small amounts every day and not letting myself eat any giant meals
    -- Do my ab exercises twice a day (I really need a stronger core to ride my big moving mare better!)
    -- Ride two horses 5 days per week with at least 30 minutes of real work in each ride
    -- Exercise (mainly cardio) for 60 minutes per day 5 days per week on top of the riding
  • bluemooncowgirl
    Options
    I just want to get back in the game and take one day, one meal, one trip to the gym... at a time.

Long term goal is to power-walk a half marathon. When I told MrBlueMoon that last night, he said "Baby you can do that NOW!" I love that man.

Anyway, here I go!
  • onawho
    Options
    Half way though May, How is everyone doing?
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    Well I started the thread so I guess I have to check in! The most important thing, I think, is to actually eat my 5 fruits/veggies per day. Everything else will follow.

I have had some pretty big struggles with this journey - all mental - as I have described in another thread.

I started in January full of enthusiasm and lost 6 pounds I think. Since then I have gained & lost the same 3 pounds over and over. It is so frustrating.

However, I have been hashing through this with the support of all you MFPers (special thanks to Onawho) and another friend who has really been there for me.

Yesterday I came to the conclusion that I have to treat my eating in a similar way to how people struggle with addiction. It is one day at a time... in a row. (read that somewhere) And even if the chocolate or junk food is calling to me - I have to resist and not allow it to control me.

So: today was a pretty good day, and I just want to add tomorrow (and the next day and the next day) onto that!

{and if anyone else here wants to talk, or needs someone to lean on, feel free to send me a message. I have definitely been there!}
  • bluemooncowgirl
    Options
    I'm feelin' ya, Blugal... It IS definitely one day at a time.

So far I have eaten decently this week, stayed away from wine and fast food, and worked out three times, including two early-morning workouts. I feel sooo much better!
  • MinervaTK
    MinervaTK Posts: 20
    Options
    I feel ya, too! It's easy to make plans for the week, month, whatever. But putting each plan to action every day, every meal, every hour, etc.... well, that's a whole different task!
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My May Challenge is:

1. Eat Paleo for the month
    2. Eat more Protein
    3. Walk 40 miles

That's it, :) J

My Mid-month Update"
    Well, so far I am doing pretty good on my #1 and #2 challenges, but have not done ANY extra walking for #3.

The Paleo for a month is actually quite interesting... finding recipes that my husband will eat has been a challenge, but
    I think it is actually going fairly well.

:J
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    Just checking in again. On Wednesday I basically had an emotional breakdown because of being so frustrated with my weight loss (lack thereof). Really hashed it out with a good friend. We discussed the long-term effects, the guilt, the self-esteem, how it effects my riding, and other goals.

I did feel a bit like "rock bottom".

Since then I have been very strict with myself - every time I wanted to "cheat" I remembered how I felt that day and that I don't want to feel like that any more.

I went to a horse show this weekend, so between the stricter diet and all the walking (and walking and walking), I have lost 3 pounds since Wednesday.

And THAT is satisfying, let me tell you!!
  • bluemooncowgirl
    Options
    Everybody is entitled to a breakdown once in a while. It's akin to hitting the "reset" button. Congrats on the weight loss. Just keep putting one small success on top of another small success and you'll be there before you realize it!
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It absolutely is one step at a time....one moment at a time....one breath at a time. We didn't get this way over the course of a day - it's been years and years of constant bombardment of "eat more" in our lives. You can do it! I have faith in all of us - because the moment we lose faith is the moment we lose the war. :( You can do it Blugal!!!!

As for me, so far so good, except on the weightloss. I went a bit overboard on my birthday weekend and ended up gaining 2#. I'm sure a lot of it was water weight from the massive sodium intake, but still....made me feel quite grumpy. But, other than that ... I just completed W5D1 of the couch to 5k program AND I'm actually riding again! Yay!

Good luck, all!
  • Baydale
    Options
    I have to be honest, I'm really struggling at the moment. I had the vet out last week and my guy is on complete box rest until July :frown: This month started off so well but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle :sad: