What I learned at my Newbie Tri Clinic

aggiesrar05
aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
Went to at newbie tri clinic this weekend. This one was more specific to the pool swim tri that I am doing in June, but a lot of the information applies elsewhere.

Blog post below is some of the more interesting and useful things I learned:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aggiesrar05/view/newbie-triathlon-clinic-interesting-observations-and-stuff-i-never-thought-i-d-ever-here-254955

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Good info for newbies. It really does become second nature and then you start worrying about things like flying mounts and the like. As far as your top, for a sprint where you won't need to keep nutrition on you go with a compression top from Academy or something. No need to drop a ton of dough on a top right off the bat.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Ha, that is precisely why I didn't buy a top but did buy the shorts. The shorts were 50% off so I ended up with 2 pairs for $65. I'm picky about tops and how they fit, so I've got some looking to do before I find something.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    These are great tips! I didn't understand the "no drafting" thing, so that helps me a lot!!!!! Thank you.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    These are great tips! I didn't understand the "no drafting" thing, so that helps me a lot!!!!! Thank you.

Don't obsess over this in a race. At the sprint and oly distances especially due to so many people in a small stretch of road it is inevitible at times. Just don't sit on someone's wheel for miles on end.

As far as my race tips for newbs that I wish I knew:

1. Eat breakfast. Something carby that won't make you go #2 (non fiberous). I generally go a plain bagel with natty peanut butter on it. Filling and it sits well with me.

2. Get there early. Gives you time to set up your tranistion w/o having to squeeze into the area left by others. If you're coming off a beach make sure you have an extra water bottle to spray the sand off your feet. Then relax and mentally visualize coming in from the water and out on the bike as well as in from the bike and out onto the run.

3. DON'T CHASE. This was hard for me to learn as an uber competitive guy. Race your race according to your metrics whether that's a pace, HR rate, or power output. If you have some kick the last half of the run to chase folks down that is entirely different.

4. BREATHE!!!

5. Drink. It's easy to forget to drink on the bike and run. Tons of things happening and you're trying to focus on what you need to be doing. This is why I got an aero bottle setup at first. If the bottle is right in my face I won't forget.

5. Take it all in. You only have one first race.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member

Don't obsess over this in a race. At the sprint and oly distances especially due to so many people in a small stretch of road it is inevitible at times. Just don't sit on someone's wheel for miles on end.

As far as my race tips for newbs that I wish I knew:

1. Eat breakfast. Something carby that won't make you go #2 (non fiberous). I generally go a plain bagel with natty peanut butter on it. Filling and it sits well with me.

2. Get there early. Gives you time to set up your tranistion w/o having to squeeze into the area left by others. If you're coming off a beach make sure you have an extra water bottle to spray the sand off your feet. Then relax and mentally visualize coming in from the water and out on the bike as well as in from the bike and out onto the run.

3. DON'T CHASE. This was hard for me to learn as an uber competitive guy. Race your race according to your metrics whether that's a pace, HR rate, or power output. If you have some kick the last half of the run to chase folks down that is entirely different.

4. BREATHE!!!

5. Drink. It's easy to forget to drink on the bike and run. Tons of things happening and you're trying to focus on what you need to be doing. This is why I got an aero bottle setup at first. If the bottle is right in my face I won't forget.

5. Take it all in. You only have one first race.

Thank you! I especially love #5!
  • mtsnorider
    mtsnorider Posts: 7 Member
    Hello all....

I have done a few sprint triathlons - not even close to podium speed but I do finish. Swimming is my weakest leg - though the other two disciplines aren't real strong either!

New this year - my 13 year old will be competing in her first triathlon on June 2. I am training right along with her and my oldest will also be competing (she is podium quality) so it will be a mom and daughters day.

I really hate swimming so I am making myself swim.- my next swim I will try for 750 yards. I only have 30 minutes to complete 1000 yards. Have only been on my bike once so far this year and my youngest not at all...

Love to hear your stories of struggles and triumphs.

As a side note. Most USAT races have a no drafting rule it used to be 3 bike lengths from the person ahead but I think it recently changed to 4. Some of the races are sticklers (most don't have course guards) others are not. Beginner triathlons are usually more tolerant of "drafting". You can draft in the swim though (never been an issue for me because I am so slow). Check out www.usatriathlon.org for more updates.

Bike crash - I feel for you. My husband was hit by a car when he was on a training ride for a half Ironman. 2-years later he is back in the saddle and in about 6 weeks competing in a full Ironman. His training partner was t-boned by a car last June and this year she is participating in the same Ironman. My suggestion - if you can - climb back on... go with a group so you have company if you have issues or problems. start slow and work up to longer rides. Don't let that accident win.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    My favorite newbie advice is, above all else have fun. Race days are what you make of them, and for me, just getting out there and enjoying the day, the course, the event, well it's just a riot. If you have fun, everything else will fall into place.

Another tip depends on the race. Some races have easy going vibes, while others have this competitive feel to them. If you find yourself around the competitive types, tune them out. Don't worry about anything they're discussing. Or their ultra badass bikes or whatever else may make you internally scream, "I'm not worthy!". Yes, you ARE worthy! Everybody is worthy!!! I see this all the time at the more competitive races. For some people, "fun" means getting to the podium, or beating some long time rival, or crushing a long held PR. That's fine, more power to them. For others, "fun" means enjoying a fun bike ride, or jogging hard all the way to the finish line, or just getting that finishers' medal wrapped around their necks. And that's fine too!

Oh, and sunscreen. You really don't want to forget sunscreen.

I hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy your race day. They're so exciting!!! I made all sorts of rookie mistakes my first race. But it was so doggone fun, I became addicted anyway.

TriJoe.