What is your favorite substitute?

Options
DerekG79
DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
We all have our favorite foods that we had to leave behind or greatly limit in our new lifestyle. What did you have to give or greatly reduce and what subsitutes have you come up with. Here are mine

Burgers - love harvestland turkey burgers on an 80 calorie wheat bun.

Pizza - I love to take half a slice of whloe wheat pita bread, slather in sauce, turkey pepperonies and 1/3 cup of cheese and broil in the oven.

Mayo- Still eat low cal mayo, but Avocados spread on a sandwich are amazing. Still have calories but so much better for you.

Peanut Butter - Love the PB2. I mix it with everything I can think of.

Replies

• scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    We all have our favorite foods that we had to leave behind or greatly limit in our new lifestyle. What did you have to give or greatly reduce and what subsitutes have you come up with. Here are mine

Pizza - I love to take half a slice of whloe wheat pita bread, slather in sauce, turkey pepperonies and 1/3 cup of cheese and broil in the oven.

We do the same for pizza, but we use the Healthy Life Wheat english muffins (80 cals.) toasted first and then baked in the oven. I am amazed how good the turkey pepperoni is.

Another thing I do now, thanks to Tony, is I put sugar free cherry pie filling on my oatmeal.
  • DerekG79
    Options

We do the same for pizza, but we use the Healthy Life Wheat english muffins (80 cals.) toasted first and then baked in the oven. I am amazed how good the turkey pepperoni is.

Another thing I do now, thanks to Tony, is I put sugar free cherry pie filling on my oatmeal.

I think turkey pepperoni is now my favorite. I would have never thought of cherry pie filling in oatmeal. Gotta try that!
  • chesh1520
    chesh1520 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. I will definitely try the pizza. It is really the big thing that I miss.

I have been eating the Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches to feed my sweet tooth.
  • pearsy67
    pearsy67 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sausages, i have stopped eating sausages. Too much sodium for me it just means I have a steak instead. All good.
  • cryptique
    cryptique Posts: 28
    Options
    Turkey or chicken smoked sausage is good. I think I prefer it to the "normal" sausage, actually.

My girlfriend has been a vegetarian since before I met her, and has been a vegan for the last couple of years. As a result, I've tried a bunch of different meat replacements, and most of them aren't so good but a few aren't too bad. I use Smart Ground (a meatless ground beef substitute) to make tacos, and I don't mind Boca Burgers (not an adequate replacement for a real burger, flavor-wise, but a satisfactory thing to eat nonetheless).
  • DerekG79
    Options
    I am a big fan of the turkey sausages and boca burgers myself. I also love taco salads made with the meatless crumbles. That said, I am not eating it too much because I am trying to get in about 130 grams of protein a day to prevent muscle loss.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

Burgers - love harvestland turkey burgers on an 80 calorie wheat bun.

Mayo- Still eat low cal mayo, but Avocados spread on a sandwich are amazing. Still have calories but so much better for you.

Peanut Butter - Love the PB2. I mix it with everything I can think of.

Burgers- we do the Laura's lean beef for 160 calories per 1/4 pd patty, with the 80 cal buns. YUM
    Pizza- Flat outs RULE, flat out bread with prego light smart sauce and turkey pepporoni and mexican blend cheese, 263 calories per pizza.

Mayo- I usually avoid but when i want it, i use the helmans olive oil light mayo, pretty good.

Peanut Butter- PB2 Rocks,
  • MKLAMAN
    MKLAMAN Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a jalapeno chicken sausage that is only 100 calories per link that I will toss on the grill instead of regular bratwurst. I almost like it better!! If there isn't a Trader Joe's around, Johnsonville makes a fantastic turkey cheddar sausage as well that is fantastic.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a jalapeno chicken sausage that is only 100 calories per link that I will toss on the grill instead of regular bratwurst. I almost like it better!! If there isn't a Trader Joe's around, Johnsonville makes a fantastic turkey cheddar sausage as well that is fantastic.

Johnsonville makes a turkey pepperjack sausage that is great also, for 110 a link. very tasty
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I rarely sub anything. If it's pretty high cal I will just eat less of it, or wait until I have a heavy exercise day and eat what I want.

Generally I am satisfied eating smaller portions of high calorie foods. The exception being anything that gets it's high calories from sugar, because sugar never seems to satisfy.
  • cryptique
    cryptique Posts: 28
    Options
    I thought of one.

Tumaro's Gourmet Tortillas 94% fat free - salsa flavor. I use one of these as a wrap for sandwiches. 50 calories.

Photo: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61G4BAPC42L.jpg

I wouldn't say it's a "favorite" because I'd rather have some good bread for my sandwich ... but for just 50 added calories instead of a couple hundred for two slices of bread, I'll take it.

They have a garden vegetable flavor that I despise -- it smells nasty right out of the bag.

You have to be careful and read the Nutrition Facts label, though -- some of their tortillas are really low in calories, but others aren't -- and the packaging all looks similar. I also like the multigrain flavor -- 60 calories.