New to MFP with PCOS! Please Help!!

Options
Hi, I'm Mellissa, 22. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18. I had all the signs, obese, hair loss/gain, no period, ect. I have been without a period for almost 2 years now, an then I had one period and had not had one for over 1 year, it's so upsetting! I had been pt on birth control at a young age, 12, because my periods were always irregular. While using birth control it worked, until I was about 19, then it had just Stopped! No warning no nothing, just stopped, so Of Course, I thought I Was pregnant, sadly, I wasn't. I had given up after trying to lose weight and failed, several times. Until now, that is, I went to my doctor last week, told her about my health and that my husband and myself were wanting to have children but I knew I could not with PCOS, with out some sort of assistance. My cousin, 22, also has PCOS. The doc took my blood last week to check on my insulin levels and my thyroid levels. I had heard about Metformin, because my cousin had told me about it that her doctor had given it to her, but it didn't work for her. My husband bought Clomid for me last year, although I never used it, because I never had a period to take it with! I hope tonight the doctor will give me something to help me get this weight off so I can be healthy and so my husband and myself can have children!

If there are any tips or helpful words of wisdom, I would greatly appreciate all, good and bad! Or if there is anything that I should maybe "mention" to my doctor about trying?? IDK Anything will help! All Comments are welcome! Thank you so much and happy weight loss to all! :)

Replies

• heatherfrishmuth
    Options
    Hi Melissa, My name is Heather and I suffer from PCOS as well... I guess I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago. I've been married for 14 years and have never used protection from pregnancy. I understand the heartache that you go through!! there is something that I would like to recommend to you.. I have had some great success with getting my periods by taking MACA not just any old MACA ... look for a product called MACA Harmony Femmenessence. I put a link to the website http://www.naturalhi.com/products/MacaHarmony.aspx
    It has really helped me.. they also have a great team of doctors on staff that will be able to help you answer any questions. So you might be saying.. what is MACA??? Well, its food really... its a root that grows in south america, sort of looks like a parsnip or a beet. It great for all sort of hormone issues for women & men. Check it out... I'm on a journey right now to heal myself natually from PCOS. I have tried going the drug route but it really is not for me. Metformin made me really sick and the clomid only helped me ovulate once in the 6 months that I took it. Good luck with everything!!!!
  • Lyssa310
    Lyssa310 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you so much Heather, for the information you have given me. I will definitely check out the website and see what it's all about and perhaps give it a try! :) Feel free to add me as a friend! :) We could all use a little help and encouragement from one another! :) Thanks again!! :)
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do hope your Doctor is able to help you. The number one thing I can tell you is you have to trust your Doctor. My OB-GYN helped me have my two youngest children and I am thankful every day for that! As for my weight issue....I have not taken any medication just went low carbs and that finally worked for me. Still do not have regular periods, but fell great! If you start with fertility medications, I also suggest the OV-WATCH. It is a bit pricey, but it takes the guess work out of getting pregnant. I worked for me on month 4 after about 5 years of trying. Good luck to you on your weigh loss and having a family!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Eat as wholesome as possible.Really really just cut those processed, boxed, bagged, packaged foods out. If it's whole it great. If it's organic it's even better. Eat fish, chicken, turkey and every once in a while some red meats. Excercise daily, even if it's onyl 30 minutes. The metformin should help but it will make you sick the first month so start low and move your way up the the max your doc prescribes. If you can get through the nasty side effects you will really feel good.

Most of all don't stress over trying to concieve! I can't even tell you how many couple I worked with who thought they were infertile until they were in the middle of or had just finished the adoption process only to find themselves pregnant. The reasonn why is because they had accepted that they weren't going to get pregnant and so they stopped stressing over it and their body loved that! Stress makes us sicker than we realize.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    HI Melissa -

I was officially diagnosed with PCOS when I was 24 although I do believe I had it for many years prior to that. It wasnt until I was wanting to start a family that I really started looking into the reasons behind the lack of periods, unexplained weight gain, etc.
    Anyway, I was told that it would be VERY difficult for me to get pregnant. I was put on Clomid. Nothing happened. I never used BC with my husband. From the time I was 19 years old, I had 3 periods in 7 years. Then I went on Atkins because a low-fat diet wasnt working and a friend of mine suggested I try it. (I know, I sound like a spokesperson) I lost 45 lbs really fast, I was riding my horse almost every day so I was getting a good workout, plus I was coaching a riding team and walking around in the arena a lot. I didnt think much of it, I mean, I had lost and gained weight before, I would have a period once every three years or so, etc. All of a sudden I had a period ALL BY MYSELF. Woo Hoo! The next month I got horribly sick. I thought it was the stomach flu. Nope, I was pregnant. Had a healthy baby girl in 2005, totally natural - meaning no hormone pills or anything. Just from weight loss and exercise. Fast forward 5 years. I went on BC pill to keep me regular. I gained a bunch of weight. I lost 60 lbs, I missed three days of the pill, I got pregnant. Had a baby boy in 2010. Over the last 2 years, I have gained about 75lbs and I tried and tried to lose weight with low fa dietingt. I didnt consider PCOS a factor because I have kids. I thought I didnt have it anymore. Wrong!!!! A year of begging my Dr. to check into it, I finally got a NEW Dr. She sent me to an Endo - YUP, full blown PCOS with Insulin Resistance. Lovely. I am currently on a low carb, low calorie plan that is working very well for me. I am taking Metformin and it definitely helps control the sugar cravings and I do think it helps with weight loss if you can get past the first couple of weeks of taking it. Some people have stomach issues. I had pretty bad nausea and heartburn but it subsided after a couple weeks. I am sure my case is different from many other's out there but I am proof positive that weight loss definitely helps.
    I have found MFP to be very helpful and there is a lot of great support out there. PCOS does make weight loss and conception difficult but a lot of women are successful with patience and perserverance. Feel free to friend me if you would like and good luck!!!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Eat as wholesome as possible.Really really just cut those processed, boxed, bagged, packaged foods out. If it's whole it great. If it's organic it's even better. Eat fish, chicken, turkey and every once in a while some red meats. Excercise daily, even if it's onyl 30 minutes. The metformin should help but it will make you sick the first month so start low and move your way up the the max your doc prescribes. If you can get through the nasty side effects you will really feel good.

Most of all don't stress over trying to concieve! I can't even tell you how many couple I worked with who thought they were infertile until they were in the middle of or had just finished the adoption process only to find themselves pregnant. The reasonn why is because they had accepted that they weren't going to get pregnant and so they stopped stressing over it and their body loved that! Stress makes us sicker than we realize.

^^ This!! Especially the part about stressing over conception. It wasnt until I resigned myself to the fact that I wasnt ABLE to have kids, EVER, that I got pregnant. I stopped taking all the hormones, etc. and just made peace with the fact that I wasnt going to have kids. Yeah.... three months later I am pregnant.
  • Lyssa310
    Lyssa310 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for replying.. I will def keep the carbs in mind to keep them low as possible.

Stress is or could be my number one reason for not getting pregnant then, i suppose. I stress alllll of the time, wishing I were pregnant, or could have a child. And My cousin is going through the same thing, So when I do finally get preg, I'm going to tell her the same steps as I did, Even though I know everyone reacts differently.. We'll see how this appointment goes, I'm leaving in about 15 minutes, and I cant explain how nervous/anxious I am, lol I'm not exactly sure why though, maybe because I'm entering a new chapter in my life. I'll post when I get home, to tell about the appointment and how it went.. Hopefully it goes wonderfully. Thanks again for everyone's post! Truly helpful, I appreciate it! :)