Jumping the shark...

Options
istalkzombies
istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
Moderators Note: CONTAINS POTENTIAL SPOILERS
Please remember the rules concerning discussing spoilers. Not all fans have read the graphic novels. Therefore please ensure that when discussing elements from the comic books that the threads alert people from the outset that it may contain spoilers.

Thank you
Thomasm198

So ive been talkin to quite a few people about the show recently and one thing that theyve all mentioned that they thought was stupid/cheesy was the hooded person with zombies on chains and I have to say that I agree, this unfortunatly could be the point where the show "jumps the shark" I really hope they dont go too far and make it too fantasy/comic book style the reason the show is a success is because for the most part theyve kept the cheesy crap out of it.

for those that don't know the phrase jump the shark here ya go:
"Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that is used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality that is beyond recovery. The phrase is also used to refer to a particular scene, episode or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in a desperate attempt to keep viewers' interest."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark)

Replies

• Jlongblade
    Jlongblade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have you read the Comic Books? You do realize that the Character with the Hood and Zombies on the Chains (Michonne) is a character from the comics, not just made up for the show to keep viewers' interested.
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    Have you read the Comic Books? You do realize that the Character with the Hood and Zombies on the Chains (Michonne) is a character from the comics, not just made up for the show to keep viewers' interested.

I know its a character from the comics, never said ti wasnt, im saying that a hooded person walking with zombies on chains is cheesy as hell, just cause its cool in a comic doesnt always mean its cool in tv/movies. Not saying that it's for sure gonna doom the show but it can push it towards that point with somethign that cheesy.
  • Jlongblade
    Options

I know its a character from the comics, never said ti wasnt, im saying that a hooded person walking with zombies on chains is cheesy as hell, just cause its cool in a comic doesnt always mean its cool in tv/movies. Not saying that it's for sure gonna doom the show but it can push it towards that point with somethign that cheesy.

I did not know if you knew it was a character from the comics or not, and I agree depending on how the make the character it can backfire quickly, although the good thing is on the TV show since it has so many differences than that of the comic they can kill the character off quickly.
  • istalkzombies
    Options

thats all good bro, wasnt mad, but ya they need to be careful with this for sure, I've gotta believe they know what they're doing but I just have a hard time seeing this type of character on this show and it actually working, people were already upset with how slow last season developed and it then the last few episodes made up for it but then you go and throw this character in and its hard to see it working out without being too cheesy.

I did not know if you knew it was a character from the comics or not, and I agree depending on how the make the character it can backfire quickly, although the good thing is on the TV show since it has so many differences than that of the comic they can kill the character off quickly.
  • Jlongblade
    Options
    I only hope they start the season fast like they ended last season, and I wonder how long it is going to take to make it to the Prision??
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    I only hope they start the season fast like they ended last season, and I wonder how long it is going to take to make it to the Prision??

they goto a prison? sweet!
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    From what I understand there are reasons for the hood, chains and lack of arms.
    These things will move the story forward.

Your point sounds a little like having an ice cream sundae, but not eating the cherry on top because cherries have sugar in them ;)

some might argue a zombie based show in and of itself is cheesy.
  • joelabro
    joelabro Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't think the armless zombies will be re-occuring characters if the hoodie character is going to stay around. The other characters might not like them. My theory is that she just uses them to mask her smell to the other zombies. Just a theory of course. It seems silly, but makes just as much sense as the concept of zombies anyways.

As far as the hoodie goes, we all know from current events that wearing a hoodie is not a crime, and therefore you should glean nothing from it for that character.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Michonne does use the zombies to mask her smell so she can walk through groups of zombies. I believe she beheads them when she gets to the prison.
  • joelabro
    joelabro Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Alright, fine you guys. I was trying not to get poked in the eye for giving spoilers. Yeah I knew that.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Read the comics, seriously. She is an awesome character. And thanks to the spoilers you know why.
  • wofford16
    wofford16 Posts: 63
    Options
    Even if you haven't read the comic book, you have to trust the writers...right? They have kept your interest this far and trust me if they use 10% of the material that is in the comic book in the t.v. show you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    Even if you haven't read the comic book, you have to trust the writers...right? They have kept your interest this far and trust me if they use 10% of the material that is in the comic book in the t.v. show you will be pleasantly surprised.

dunno if I can trust them yet or not, really its gonna depend on how this goes this is either gonna be boom or bust, 2nd season was a let down compared to the first with the exception of the last 3 or 4 episodes.