After 1 Week of Metformin...

Options
So I had a doctor's visit last Wednesday and we discussed the topic of trying Metformin to treat my insulin resistance + PCOS since my real goal is to conceive. She prescribed me 500 mg doses twice a day with meals. The first day was not fun at all... my body was not having it. I was literally running to the bathroom 4 or 5 times a day for the first 4 days. Things have leveled out since then, but I have incredibly loose stools (sorry, tmi :sick: ) and my stomach is hurting between meals. I've lost over 2 lbs since last week... the most I've been able to lose within a week since I started watching my food and exercising more was 0.5 lbs/week.

I know the side effects are probably the worst within the first few weeks of any new medication... but how long is too long to put up with this stuff? I've seen so many rave reviews about Metformin and how it's helped those with insulin resistance and PCOS and my doctor has been saying I should try it for over a year now.

A little side note: I've also started taking a multivitamin (usually never gives me stomach issues since I switched brands), omega-3 fish oil caps, B12, and D3. I feel like an old lady with all of the pills I'm taking a day, but I really want to get this under control!

Replies

• mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It takes awhile. Believe me. Took me awhile to get it to the point where I'm not having problems. I know it is hard, but far worth the wait. Every ones body is different to adjusting to it. I'm up to 2000mgs of it a day and my body has done great with it.
  • greenmonkeybee
    greenmonkeybee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take your vitamins with food. If I take my multivitamin (esp Vit B) on an empty stomach, I get super nauseous.
    Hope it gets better for you!
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    Thanks ladies... but these side effects have gotten me to the point that I'm literally only eating to take the various pills so I don't get sick from taking them on an empty stomach. I'll just keep truckin I guess and see what my doctor thinks in about 5 weeks.
  • jaimielee317
    Options
    If the side effects are too bothersome you can talk to your Dr about metformin ER, ive heard it has little to no side effects. I have been on metformin for almost a yearvand anytime I eat anything with a a lot of carbs I get tummy issues.
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    If the side effects are too bothersome you can talk to your Dr about metformin ER, ive heard it has little to no side effects. I have been on metformin for almost a yearvand anytime I eat anything with a a lot of carbs I get tummy issues.

Ooooh... she did mention to stay away from carbs. I'm trying to overhaul my diet to get rid of most carbs (except veggies, not including roots of course). I'm still traveling for work and it's really hard to make that big of a change when all you have are restaurants. I know, another excuse. I'll try the diet change this weekend when I get home because my husband is finally on board with me. :drinker:
  • jaimielee317
    Options
    it's usually carbs that does it to most people. I have a dr.s appt tomorrow to see if we can up my dose! so i will probably be having some stomach issues within the next few weeks too lol.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I agree with @jaimielee317, the carbs or sugar while taking Metformin will mess you up. I've been on it for a year and I still get loose stools when I induldge in too much sugar. I notice that fruit sugar doesn't have the same effect, just processed junk. It helps me keep on track though, the threat of having a stomach ache generally looms in the back of my mind when I want something I shouldn't eat anyway.
  • KimKAnderson80
    KimKAnderson80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not actually TTC anymore ... After being blessed with two little miracles. I just saw this group and wanted to share with you this: After losing 20 pounds and starting metformin, I was preggo within a month. We tried relentlessly. So, I know your struggles and wanted to tell you that all the extra running to the bathroom will hopefully be well worth it.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I switched to the extended release Metformin version and the negative side effects vanished (and you only have to take one pill a day instead of two). I got pregnant very quickly after starting Metformin in the past (before we were actually ready to start TTC. But I know not every gets as lucky with it so easily). I'm not TTC at the moment but just recently had my second Metformin baby. I'm back on it now and losing weight steadily so I definitely recommend it if you have PCOS.
  • usmcwallacewife
    usmcwallacewife Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been on Metformin since April 31st and worked my way up from 1000 mg a day to 2000 now. Will be upping to 2500 next week. I admit, I was miserable the first 3 weeks. Glided through the 180's real quick with all the vomiting and stool issues but I kept reading in books and other blogs to just keep moving forward with it (I told myself the vomiting would be prepping my for morning sickness lol). I am finally symptom free and really actually do like the medicine. If I miss a dose, I may cramp a bit after I take the next dose and may be a bit quesy but thats about it. Just give it time! I have been gluten free for about 6 weeks too and have noticed a big difference in how I feel as well. I got very nauseous after being lazy about my diet one day and snacking on processed food. The reports on PCOS urge you to not eat carbs like bread and sugary processed foods. I fully agree! Clean eating and gluten free cooking are the way to go!

Good luck!
    Olivia
  • angelsingin4jc
    Options

I took Met ER and I had the same side affects! If I accidentally missed a day...ugh...it was bad when I started taking it again. It probably took me about 3 weeks to feel more like normal.
  • ShannonJohnson
    ShannonJohnson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Metformin for about a year now, I take 1000 mg a day. I had many days of upset stomachs and running to the bathroom, it's not as bad anymore. I can definitly tell when I have eaten badly that day cause of the carbs and fat do not work well with the Metformin as many others have commented about too.

I was just wondering, how do you know if you should increase your dose? A few of you have mentioned that you are increasing soon and things like that and I was just curious as to why. I still do not get a period when I am taking it so if the dose is increased would that help?